Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
copp3r

Bathroom Sink Got Detached From Wall

Hi :)

My bathroom sink got detached due to too much loading.

Luckily there are brackets which prevented it from falling to the floor. Any recommendation on who to engage to fix this, and and idea of how much it would cost ?

If I want to DIY, any suggestion on how?

I found this video but I wonder how to keep the sink in place for my situation while the silicone cures.

Thanks!

sink%20bathroom1_zpserzzubc8.jpg

Photo of bracket captured from below the sink :

sink%20bathroom2_zpssxu8voc5.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The sink is supported by the 2 brackets below it. Probably due to overloading, the bracket angle has change a little and it had not been fully supporting the sink's weight, so the white cement was the only stuff holding it and with time, the cement cracked off.

The crack is only cosmetic. To DIY, just go neighbourhood hardware shop, buy some white cement and patch up the gap again.

Silicon also can but try not to use silicone because this is a wet area, so with silicon, you will get black mould real soon.

For contractor, check your town council website, there is a recommended list.

Good luck

Thanks w7_lee !

One of the contractors I asked (through Whatsapp) said I can DIY using waterproof silicone (if there's such a thing).

Do you agree with that suggestion ?

It is personal but I do not like to use silicon for wet area. I don't think there is a silicone that will not grow mould, maybe lesser but there will still be mould growth.

But you can try it out (with the water proof silicone) as it will be easy to DIY. If there is mould growth, just use a pen knife and cut them out, then replace with the white cement.

On 5/7/2015 at 7:20 PM, copp3r said:

Hi :)

My contemporary Pedestal Sink for bathroom got detached due to too much loading.

Luckily there are brackets which prevented it from falling to the floor. Any recommendation on who to engage to fix this, and and idea of how much it would cost ?

If I want to DIY, any suggestion on how?

I found this video but I wonder how to keep the sink in place for my situation while the silicone cures.

Thanks!

sink%20bathroom1_zpserzzubc8.jpg

Photo of bracket captured from below the sink :

sink%20bathroom2_zpssxu8voc5.jpg

Assess what type of sink you have. ...

Open the cabinet under the sink. ...

Put on your protective eyewear and gloves. ...

Unplug your garbage disposal, if you have one. ...

Disconnect the water supply lines from the underside of the faucet. ...

Disconnect the drain pipe from the sink

You need to buy a better bracket from Jalan Besar area.

Take out the old one and install the new one which can support the sink against the wall.

Your present bracket is not so good.  I have used it before and it can't hold the weight of the basin.

Be careful when you drill holes for your new bracket. The tiles may crack during drilling. Cracked tiles are very unsightly. 

If I were you, I would change the sink. Buy a new one. It doesn't even look esthetic. If buying a granite sink, you wouldn't have such problems.Just take a look on https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-granite-composite-sinks-reviews/ and make the difference. I have changed in the kitchen the whole design, my house is over 20 years. As you guess an updated it needed. Also, knowing that Italian brands are the best, the same truth is about sink too. Made of natural granite, it means durability, non-porous surface it's easy to be cleaned, scratches resistant. Awesome features of a single sink. Good investment, I will say.