Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Pleasehelpme

Help On Mismatched Tiles Height!

Hi all, I just collected key for my 4 room BTO in Sengkang and didn't opt for HDB flooring. So by default they only laid the tiles for kitchen and both toilets. I engaged an ID and they lay the tiles for me.

They lay the tiles based on the kitchen tiles' height and as they progress, the height dropped.... When the tiles reached my toilets, there's a distinctive 1cm height difference between the toilet tiles and the tiles they laid... I assumed that it should be flushed to the same height....... See the pictures for reference.

34eeyys.jpg2lcmc1l.jpg

I asked the Building Service Centre person if there's a different in height of my kitchen and both toilets, the person brought a laser leveling device to assure me it's of the same height. So i concluded it's my ID's tiler's problem. But my ID's tiler told me that it is very very normal for the height of the passageway to be different with the toilet tiles. And told me that they will put a "curb/slope" to match the height..

But the point is from 1 end of the living room to my bedroom, there's a sink of 1.5cm... which they told me it's normal... I need to check with you guys if it really is normal... They told me it is totally impossible to make it same height... Is that true????? Please help me out on this and advise me!! Thanks!!

Also, because of the "slanted" flooring, the gap between my doors are screwed up too.....

98wz29.jpg

2mrzhbr.jpg

2z4a22r.jpg

dpy6hf.jpg

Sorry for the long post :help:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

so sorry, but there is nothing you can do about it. because your floor tiles had already been laid..

u can demand compensation from your id due to his/her mistake in using inexperience tilers or doing your house without due diligence, but i doubt your id will give you compensation.

only 1 thing can rectify is to rehack everything and do again. but pls engage a good contractor

Hi all, I just collected key for my 4 room BTO in Sengkang and didn't opt for HDB flooring. So by default they only laid the tiles for kitchen and both toilets. I engaged an ID and they lay the tiles for me.

They lay the tiles based on the kitchen tiles' height and as they progress, the height dropped.... When the tiles reached my toilets, there's a distinctive 1cm height difference between the toilet tiles and the tiles they laid... I assumed that it should be flushed to the same height....... See the pictures for reference.

34eeyys.jpg2lcmc1l.jpg

I asked the Building Service Centre person if there's a different in height of my kitchen and both toilets, the person brought a laser leveling device to assure me it's of the same height. So i concluded it's my ID's tiler's problem. But my ID's tiler told me that it is very very normal for the height of the passageway to be different with the toilet tiles. And told me that they will put a "curb/slope" to match the height..

But the point is from 1 end of the living room to my bedroom, there's a sink of 1.5cm... which they told me it's normal... I need to check with you guys if it really is normal... They told me it is totally impossible to make it same height... Is that true????? Please help me out on this and advise me!! Thanks!!

Also, because of the "slanted" flooring, the gap between my doors are screwed up too.....

98wz29.jpg

2mrzhbr.jpg

2z4a22r.jpg

dpy6hf.jpg

This is clearly a construction defect, in 2 counts:

1. It is BCA requirement that there should be a drop between the dry and wet area. The alternative is to place a kerb in between.

Please see p. 3 of the attached; also take note of how waterproofing is extended to the dry area to prevent leakage.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/Professionals/IQUAS/..%5CIquas%5Cgpgs%5CWIWAreas%5CWIWAChpt2.pdf

2. It is obviously not acceptable to have a flat flooring with gradient, as you have pointed out the door's bottom gaps.

In my view, the flooring would have to be hacked and do again; the ID to bear the entire cost.

Unless you could accept a compensation and live with the eye-sore plus potential water leakage everyday.

Hope that these help!

I spoke to the boss of the ID, he claimed that what his tiler did was acceptable and therefore not deemed as a defect. And he won't be re-laying for me. He says that whatever was done is within the HDB guidelines... I asked some of the tilers which are doing my neighbours' units to go over to my unit and have a look, all of them say it is unacceptable.. I need a neutral party or an authority/expert to assess and get them to redo the work.. Call Radac but my ID is not under them... Any help here is appreciated! Thanks!

Insist that it is a defect. U must sound confident when arguing with them. If they have the cheek to refuse the error or offer compensation, then inform them that you will be engaging a lawyer to sue them for compensation. don mention Small claims, they are immune to such threats.

Will be good if you able to talk to RCMA, and ask they are able to be the independent audit for this case. This will be useful when it comes to civil suit. Remember, act as if you are highly educated.

I spoke to the boss of the ID, he claimed that what his tiler did was acceptable and therefore not deemed as a defect. And he won't be re-laying for me. He says that whatever was done is within the HDB guidelines... I asked some of the tilers which are doing my neighbours' units to go over to my unit and have a look, all of them say it is unacceptable.. I need a neutral party or an authority/expert to assess and get them to redo the work.. Call Radac but my ID is not under them... Any help here is appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately it is inevitable that they would dispute, isn't it? The cost of replacement tile is rather high.

It is very strange that they did the tiling this way; do you know if they have screeded and levelled floor before the tiling work?

Radac, RCMA or even BCA could only offer an opinion, only the Court could compel the ID firm to act in a dispute.

Good luck!

34eeyys.jpg2lcmc1l.jpg

98wz29.jpg

2mrzhbr.jpg

2z4a22r.jpg

dpy6hf.jpg

looks bad

Hi dear,

This happened when the tiler never do the job properly. I am sure they never use leveler when laying tiles. This caused the floor totally have gradient along the way. (can put a table on any area and i am sure the table will 'show' u how uneven the floor are

Hi dear,

It is normal for wet area to have a gradient flooring to allow water flow.

But for area like dining, living, bedroom the floor shall be no gradient.

Kerb only provide between different of two room, like Toilet and kitchen, and no slope is allow, only a drop of 100mm is allowed (cooncrete drop is depend on engineer design)

For different tiles of an area, usually a stainless steel strip (divider) will be laid in between.