Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sinalifmim85

Type 3 4 room BTO layout.

Hi everyone.

Its been a long while since i wanted to post my reno journey here. Been getting ideas and designs from fellow bloggers and I feel its time for me to contribute!

To cut it short, here's the floorplan layout of my 4 Room BTO standard.

large.floorplanjpeg.jpg.32bfad19af32fb52

As u can see, the design is slightly different from a typical 4 room BTO unit. The living/dining is an L shaped desiign. The HS is tucked into the kitchen. Due to that, the kitchen is waaaayyy too smallll!!. The first thing on me and wifey's mind is to hack away the service yard walls. But on the other hand, the MBR is slightly longer. 

Here's pics of the unit upon our first entry into the house. 

large.A2.jpg.c37f502fc087babb0d3591c2335

large.A3.jpg.3efadf904ea2f38859e1ba16e42

large.A4.jpg.0e83601abef4334a57c45240164

large.A5.jpg.ffd5519bcaeb7fab8f687136c93

large.A6.jpg.71520bdde6f941374eb19fe6805

A7.jpg

large.A8.jpg.71f4f45d82417cc75b44e9dd395

Edited by sinalifmim85
Sorry guys, i posted in wrong format of pics in my initial post!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

As mentioned earlier, me and wifey decided to get an ID instead of contractor as we are both too busy with work schedule. We simply do not have the time to constantly be on site and do occasional meet-ups with the contractors.

But before that, we didn't expect to get our keys earlier than expected!. And so, we had to adjust our budget accordingly.

Here's the list of our criteria: 

1) Budget: 25k maximum

2) Concept: Minimalist/Scandinavian

3) Deadline of work: Not applicable ( Coz we are not in a rush to move in!)

4) Homogenous tiles for living/dining. (as we are bringing my parent along, they insist on this. But me n wife's preference is vinyl. :( )

5) Kitchen cabinet top and bottom for both side of kitchen. (due to our small and constrained kitchen!)

6) Tempered glass shower screen for both toilets.

7) Vanity cabinet for both bathrooms

8) Full height built-in wardrobe for MBR and Bedroom 2.

9) Feature wall (bricks) **** room area.

We sent out a template of our requirements and send out to various ID's. We also visited some ID's at the same time.

The result turns out to be....... based on our request, it would be more than 25k. Some even reached to 35k!. Unbelievable. The price range vary by quite alot among the different ID's.

Ultimately, we David from T** I******* L**. More than 10 years experience in this industry. 

We were impressed by his knowledge and counter proposals on our first meet-up. Me and wife immediately made a decision to choose him. At the same time, he was very honest with us with regards to our budget. Nonetheless, the counter proposal was below 25k! Infact, its more than what we wanted and at the same time very nice and applicable. 

And so, the journey begins.....

Will update more details soon ya!

3 hours ago, sinalifmim85 said:

1) Budget: 25k maximum

2) Concept: Minimalist/Scandinavian

3) Deadline of work: Not applicable ( Coz we are not in a rush to move in!)

4) Homogenous tiles for living/dining. (as we are bringing my parent along, they insist on this. But me n wife's preference is vinyl.  )

5) Kitchen cabinet top and bottom for both side of kitchen. (due to our small and constrained kitchen!)

6) Tempered glass shower screen for both toilets.

7) Vanity cabinet for both bathrooms

8) Full height built-in wardrobe for MBR and Bedroom 2.

9) Feature wall (bricks) **** room area.

Budget 25k for 4 room is doable but with many exclusion. Flooring will easily set you back 5k up, regardless of tiles/HERF/Vinyl, subject to final choice of material. Carpentry for 2 rooms and kitchen approx.. 7k min. Painting min 1.5. Then the balance to others. Also subject to electrical and window grilles, if inclusive, 25k kinda tough.

Coming from as a previous owner with laminated floor and currently vinyl, I do not have any problem with both material. Since vinyl is joint, concern is water seepage into the joint, happens ONLY if one do not clear the spill and deliberately left water puddle unattended for long time. Normal mopping and cleaning is easy. As for parents, you would have to decide and perhaps just go ahead with what you want and like. No point getting something of 2nd choice when heart’s desire is within reach. If you see my place, my parent are a little sceptical of the dark vinyl, not to their preference but really, my place, my rules.

The disadvantage of your kitchen is that the shape is squarer than rectangle. Since your place is new, not sure if you can hack the walls separating the service balcony and kitchen. I did that and my kitchen stretches into the service balcony and still housing the dryer and washer. Hacking allows longer top and bottom cabinet, hence more table top space. As well as feeling roomier and spacious.

Temper glass shower screens are nice but still restrict space as compare to shower curtain. But MAIN issue are the stains accumulated over the period of just 1 week. One has to be diligent to keep cleaning to maintain the clarity else pretty unsightly.

Vanity cabinet is a superb idea as they can be used to keep toiletries and others cleaning product, making the place neat and tidy. It also offer the opportunity to play around with mirror size, a big mirror can be easily incorporated with the cabinet rather than conventional smaller sizes.

Brick wall – Not sure where are you gonna erect the brick wall? The wall outside BR3? Length approx.. 2.62m. Or the wall that runs the length of the living area approx.. 5.82m?

A box of wall tiles covers approx. 1m2. Given height of HDB is approx.. 2.8m hence very metre in length requires approx.. 3 boxes of tiles. I guess local prices now cost about $100 per box. Last known price was $80 about 2 years back. Today may cost $100.

2.62 x 2.8 = 7.336 approx. 8-9 boxes x $100 = $900

5.82 x 2.8 = 16.296 approx. 17-18 boxes x $1800 = $1800.

Labour is the killer part in brick wall. Even that 2.62m length can cost $3k just for labour. So imagine the 5.82m length, contractor can ask for $5k up.

Anyway, if you are keen to have brick wall, you can fish out info from my blog where I purchase my brick titles from Msia at half the local price with self-collection. Own transport required.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/63586-back-to-the-west/?page=15

I agree with @OceanEleven that the labored for brick wall is a killer. I paid 1.6k for labour for around 3.x m wall but the outcome is worth the price! If you are adventurous enough, you can buy the brick tiles off taobao like I did! :lol: Will save you more moolahs!

On Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 1:28 PM, OceanEleven said:

Brick wall – Not sure where are you gonna erect the brick wall? The wall outside BR3? Length approx.. 2.62m. Or the wall that runs the length of the living area approx.. 5.82m?

A box of wall tiles covers approx. 1m2. Given height of HDB is approx.. 2.8m hence very metre in length requires approx.. 3 boxes of tiles. I guess local prices now cost about $100 per box. Last known price was $80 about 2 years back. Today may cost $100.

Labour is the killer part in brick wall. Even that 2.62m length can cost $3k just for labour. So imagine the 5.82m length, contractor can ask for $5k up.

Anyway, if you are keen to have brick wall, you can fish out info from my blog where I purchase my brick titles from Msia at half the local price with self-collection. Own transport required.

@OceanEleven

Great break down on the cost. It's useful!

On 5/2/2016 at 0:03 PM, xhomesweethomex said:

I agree with @OceanEleven that the labored for brick wall is a killer. I paid 1.6k for labour for around 3.x m wall but the outcome is worth the price! If you are adventurous enough, you can buy the brick tiles off taobao like I did! :lol: Will save you more moolahs!

sorry to hijack, mind to share the link where you buy the brick stone and how you go about ordering from TB. thanks 

1 hour ago, Edger03 said:

sorry to hijack, mind to share the link where you buy the brick stone and how you go about ordering from TB. thanks 

You can refer to my tblog for the link. I use amcon and shipped the items via sea :)

On 5/1/2016 at 1:28 PM, OceanEleven said:

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed advice. Much appreciated. We decided to do a little bit different from the original plan. Yes, due to cost and at the same time, from my ID's advice.

On 5/2/2016 at 0:03 PM, xhomesweethomex said:

Hey, that's a good alternative which we didn't though of! Thanks for your advice. But nonetheless, we decided not to use too much of bricks. :) 

After Our 2nd meet-up with David, here are some things that we have changed which still fit into our budget:

1) Flooring: VINYL. After discussing with parents, they finally agreed to it. David brought us over to a completed project at punggol with viny flooring installed. Mum agreed to it. :) 

2) Brick wall: Half height L-shaped at dining area comes with half height L-shaped mirror. David managed to throw in the mirror and bricks in together at no extra cost! 

3) Kitchen table top: i-Quartz 

4) Vanity cabinet: Not applicable. After visiting the punggol flat, they used a ready-made cabinet. David also advised us that this would be cheaper. If he were to do up the vanity cabinet, it would cost more as it is considered carpentry works.

5) Kitchen cabinet: 2 sides top and bottom hung.

6) Service yard: To hack the service yard walls.

7) Wardrobe: L-shaped  full height wardrobe @MBR and 1.5m full height wardrobe at bedroom 2 (parents room)

8) Additional full height 900mm full height shoe cabinet **** room

9) Tempered glass at both bathroom

10) Whole house painting

11) Window at service yard

All within our budget!! Phew!

Also, two more things which David managed to get his own lobang are

1) Electrical works 

2) L-box and partition wall (living and dining) 

3) Subway tiles at kitchen. (backsplash)

At a very good price and within our budget too.

Here are the 3D renderings after much discussion with David:

large.572a983121e55_3DLiving.jpglarge.572a9839819f6_3DDining.jpglarge.572a983f252eb_3Dkitchen.jpg

We told David that we wanted a simple and clean design. We liked the design thus far! :)

Edited by sinalifmim85