Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tyler

Capentery Material

Allow me to correct your ID's Comment. Door can be constructed with solid ply but much dependence on the method the engage to join the pieces. Ask you ID what are classic door made from; for your info it is MDF which is a kind of man made ply mixing saw dust with adhesive to form panel. If MDF can use to construct Door, Ply wood can do more.

I agree that the external work for all carpentry work will cost the most in all carpentry work. Veneer may not be the more costly than laminate. Cost of laminate sheet is between $20 per sheet to $300, but generally most carpenter will use laminate which cost around $50 to $60. Whereas, veneer ply is betwen $17 to $500.00. Nyatoh is the cheapest and commonly used by carpentry esp for staining to walnut clear for used in zen design. Other common veneer used are cherry, teak, ashwood, maple etc. The most expensive are bird's eye which the gain resemble many bird's eyes and it reflect lights when dark, a very rare veneer. The work itself require to coat with commonly lacquer, but can be vanish or a more expensive coating is PU. However, there were not many skill carpentry painter in the market nowadays esp the good one, hence most carpenter and ID will tell customer it is more expensive so as to swing the customer to use laminate instead. Just for good comparison, laminate finishes is like laminate flooring and veneer is like parquet and it is a natural product which give a warm and natural feeling.

hehehe, firstly he is not my ID

got no money to hire an ID, going for a contractor instead

didn't use the particular ID coz my contractor agreed to use solid ply for my cabinet doors :dunno:

veneer was not recommended for kitchen cabinets so had to use laminate :)

to pay that kind of price for veneer might as well pay for the solid wood?

a bookcase made entirely of rosewood only $1.5k compared to $500 veneer ply :deal:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hehehe, firstly he is not my ID

got no money to hire an ID, going for a contractor instead

didn't use the particular ID coz my contractor agreed to use solid ply for my cabinet doors :dunno:

veneer was not recommended for kitchen cabinets so had to use laminate :)

to pay that kind of price for veneer might as well pay for the solid wood?

a bookcase made entirely of rosewood only $1.5k compared to $500 veneer ply :deal:

Firstly, in Singapore most of carpenter use solid ply (normally known in the trade as broad board) for cabinet door as labour is expensive in Singapore. As for rosewood only $1.5k, how big is your bookcase? I think they are still using solid ply to construct but veneer stained to rosewood colour that's all. To find solid rosewood in Singapore is near impossible and your $1.5k can only afford a 3ft by 3ft solid rose wood bookshelf

Firstly, in Singapore most of carpenter use solid ply (normally known in the trade as broad board) for cabinet door as labour is expensive in Singapore. As for rosewood only $1.5k, how big is your bookcase? I think they are still using solid ply to construct but veneer stained to rosewood colour that's all. To find solid rosewood in Singapore is near impossible and your $1.5k can only afford a 3ft by 3ft solid rose wood bookshelf

hehehe, the rosewood bookcase is bought off the shelf

rosewood furniture is not expensive if you know where to look :no: :no:

Mayb i know is there a standard size of the ply wood used for kitchen cabinet?

cross-section measurement

I find the ply wood used for my cabinet is a bit thin??

Edited by reload72

Mayb i know is there a standard size of the ply wood used for kitchen cabinet?

cross-section measurement

I find the ply wood used for my cabinet is a bit thin??

I think normal std size will be 15mm to 20mm???

I have some question regarding different quality of 'solid plywood'

I went to Reno in Singapore Expo, and talked to few IDs.

An ID from Ci***rn said that their package is more expensive due to materials they used. He said that there're two quality of 'solid plywood'.

The low grade one is strips of thin woods (abt 3 mm each) glued together horizontally to create a broad solid wood. So if cut vertically, we can see around 5-7 layers of thin woods glued to create the thickness.

The high grade one is strips of thicker wood (abt 12 mm each) glued together vertically to create a broad solid wood with thinner one (3 mm) glued horizontally on top and bottom. So if cut vertically, there's only 3 layer of woods, thin strips for top & bottom and thick one in the middle.

Both plywood has same thickness, but material inside is different, hence the strength also different.

He said his company is using high grade solid plywood, while other company may claim using 'solid plywood' but the lower grade ones. His quotation charges 120 psr for kitchen cabinet, while some other charges 80 psr. He said it's possible the cheap quotation uses low grade solid plywood which is actually made of thin woods and called them 'solid plywood'

Is what this ID said is true ? And will this translates to different price psr as shown ?

Care to share 'where to look' ? :jawdrop:

i bought from singapore handicraft at eunos rd 5

others recommend oriental handicraft at henderson industrial park

gnee hong along bencoolen road

if you dun mind second hand stuff yahoo auction also good place :wub: