Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beargoh

Light Switches: Where To Buy.

I self service so no idea. Can also consider Le Grande white color switches, looks nice too and will go with your white base.

Yea. Actually my electrician has already given me the big rocker ones so I'm just trying to decide when he bills me for the difference, what the difference is. (The "upgrade" was agreed by my father. Didn't ask if there would be a price increase which I suspect, there probably will be.)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

A word of concern about Choo Chiang - the staff do not seem very knowledgeable about the products and they do not keep very good inventory.

I have had to go back 3 times.

1st time - Buy switch, but didn't buy mounting box. I was not sure, and I asked her if I needed a mounting box. She said it was optional. Asked the staff about other items, first answer was don't have. However, after checking with boss, there was.

2nd time - Went back to get mounting box. wanted to buy some faceplates, but they don't have. Saving grace is that they were willing to get from the other branch, but I had to wait until next week.

3rd time - This time I got my wall mounting boxes together with the faceplates, but they are a different series, even though I specifically told her Mallia. Should have been apparent had I compared the series numbers. So I may have to go back a 4th time - if they have stock and are willing to change. : (

All in all, I think I wasted more money and time buying from them than if I had just gone to an ordinary store that bothers to train its staff. Very very agitated now because tomorrow have to install. ><

Edited by ryan13680

hi ryan

which branch did u go to?

I went to Woodlands branch, their HQ.

Update - apparently, Mallia series does not have wall mounting boxes - they use Milac which is cream while Mallia is white. Therefore, if you need to use mounting boxes, do not use Le Grand Mallia. The colours will not match nicely.

ryan, what is mounting box and faceplate? any pictures to upload? what those for?

Look at any ordinary switch in HDB - it has a box, covered by a 'lid' which contains the switch.

The box, is a mounting box and the 'lid' is the faceplate.

Seriously, consider doing a small part of false wall near pillars and locate your switches near them since you cannot have concealed wiring. However, after living in the place for a while, you don't notice the switches so much, esp. if you have hidden them near pillars etc.

Hi all,

I had just recently bought the Legrand Mallia switches from Choo Chiang @ Blk 640 Rowell Rd.

Choo Chiang are selling the switches at contractor price before GST.

I'm a blur sotong, so when i was there.. certain things i need to call back to check with my ID or my dad.

So this guy - Derrick is quite nice and patient, he reminded me whether I need the mounting box or not, since I'm buying for myself and also for a friend. So needed both non-conceal box and concealed box.

As my dad is an electrician, he told me to write down the type and qty of the switches I need before going there.. since Choo Chiang is supplying to contractors who normally come, list the items they need, pick and go. So the pace they handle contractors are quite fast.

My advise is not to get the switches from lighting shops, basically if you buy a 1gang switch, you can use the same amount to buy 2 or 3 from shops that supplies them to contractors.

Even Homefix store are selling Legrand switches at a higher price.

yah...homefix is SUPER duper expensive!!!!!

erms. which brand is more ex?

legrand, clipsal, mk or hager?

my electrician offered me either mk or hager, but tell me hager more ex. but i choose mk cos i prefer it's design with some simple lines

Frankly I did not check out the other brand cos personally prefers Legrand. But I do remember Hager seems to be the most expensive.

From what I do know briefly this should be the ranking which is better, as advise by a lighting shop.

Rank 1: Hager

Rank 2: MK and Legrand (there are pretty similar)

Rank 3: Clipsal