Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mamit

Modern minimalistic 2016

Hello renotalk world,

We are finally getting our keys soon. 

We decided to get an ID to do the reno even though we deem ourselves pretty hands on. Just wanted someone to coordinate the project in case we get busy.

Talk to 4 ID firms over the last month and we have decided on our ideal choice.

Anyone has experience doing this?

We picked the most expensive quote and the ID with least experience. Reason is we like the company's design  a lot and their carpentry work looks good. hopefully everything will turn out well.

Here is our floor plan. budget is 40000 but going to burst it.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 11.17.12 PM.png

Edited by mamit

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello all experts:

please give some advice on the aircon trunking strategy. I want minimal trunking.

Blue color is the partition that comes with the HDB. purple is the trunking for 2 units (green).

Red color is the trunking for the other 2 units. 

The part I am unsure of is the gold. My built in cabinet is there but i am worry of leakage and wood rot if it happens.]]

please see the 2nd image. first one is wrong.

Edited by mamit

Hello reno talk world.

After flip-flopping several times on whether we want an open concept, we decided to go with NO, because we didn't want the house to stink, especially when we invite guests and the air con is on.

I would like to comment on HDB's choice of design and until now it doesn't make sense why they decide to create a door opening of 1000 mm, and either side of the wall being 600 mm or 800 mm. What this means is if I create a sliding panel of 1000 mm, it will not be able to rest on either side without jutting out. OF course, we can consider 2 panel door but they are not as nice, and a PD door looks even worse. This means there are 3 options.

1) extend the 800 mm wall by 100 mm, so that a 900 mm door can rest open without jutting out, and can fully close the opening. However, the 800 mm side is next to the main door and it means a slightly more forceful opening of the door can potentially shatter the door. We cannot put the sliding door inside because of the DB box.

2) extend the 600 mm wall by 20 mm, so that a 800 mm door will rest nicely and close the opening. BUT the opening is now smaller at 800 mm

3) after much deliberation, we decided to hack the 600 mm side of the wall and create a 2 panel bi-fold sliding door. This means we lose 800 mm of kitchen space for resting of the door, but we should be able to live with this compromise.

large.58158bce66253_ScreenShot2016-10-30at1_56_23PM.jpg

Ideally, we can hack the wall between service yard and kitchen to make the kitchen look bigger. Since the gas inlet and sewage is on the south side of the kitchen, we decided to save $ and put them together. It is quite important to leave a decent space between the sink and the stove to allow for food prep and placement during cooking. Thus the fridge, oven and microwave has to be on the other side.

We were happy with the above configuration for a few weeks until we realized we cannot fully hack the wall between yard and kitchen cos of the small patch of black in our original floor plan. After much deliberation, we decided to completely change the configuration of our kitchen. I believe the new plan is better because it is now open concept, and a sliding door can help close it to prevent the smell when necessary. 

what do you guys think? sorry for my drawing. the box with an X is for a fridge given 80 cm X 80 cm.

sink 70 cm, stove 73 cm.oven/micro 60 cm

large.IMG_5604-2.jpg

Hi Renotalkers,

Did a lot of shopping due to the discounts and sales going on. I am probably one of the few who bought stuff even before key collection, but the sale is too good to miss. 

For electronics, we picked:

1. Fujioh FSJ 900 because of the good review on Renotalk and even the electronics shop recommended this for oily cooking.

2. Rinnai RB2CG inner burner hob - made in japan. Really powerful that can give wok hei according to most people

3. Mitsubishi MR F47EG Fridge - always heard should go Japanese and Mitsubishi also well reviewed by my MIL who is a housewife for 30 years.

4. Bosch builtin oven and microwave - HBN331E1K and HMT84G654B - bit the nail to buy this....

5. Panasonic top load washer NAF90X1 

6. Dryer haven't decide. heat pump condenser so good but so expensive.

I also got a very good deal. better than most big chain electronics.

Furniture also buy. hahah got 20% off.

Don't wish to divulge where I bought the furniture but here are the photos.

the dining chair is charcoal grey....hmm goes so well with the teak table!

Sofa.png

Letter.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 3.03.25 PM.png

Dining Chair.png

Hi, my new 4rm bto also going to complete nxt year 2quarter 2017 at Woodlands Glens.We have the same layout .I have also engage an ID to design my house.Awaiting their 3D drawings this 2 weeks.Maybe Mamit,can share your lobangs with me

Hello Zincman81,

Thanks for your reply. I will recommend starting to buy when you are almost getting keys. As long as they can hold your products at their shop.

I have visited many mega stores and seriously their 50% discount is still not as good as the price from private businesses. I bought my stuff from Kah Hock Repairer and Trading. I believing some renotalkers look for Jerome. The only thing is they probably don't want credit card. So if you want points, then you can look for megastore.

I like Harvey Norman and the sales rep Dy** is very good at cutting prices. 

Hope this helps. Furniture just go shopping and find what you like. Mine are not the cheapest but v. attractive cause of 20% discount.

I haven't even gotten my 3D yet!!! but need to be patient for good things :) 

On 15/10/2016 at 0:01 AM, mamit said:

Hello renotalk world,

We are finally getting our keys soon. 

We decided to get an ID to do the reno even though we deem ourselves pretty hands on. Just wanted someone to coordinate the project in case we get busy.

Talk to 4 ID firms over the last month and we have decided on our ideal choice.

Anyone has experience doing this?

We picked the most expensive quote and the ID with least experience. Reason is we like the company's design  a lot and their carpentry work looks good. hopefully everything will turn out well.

Here is our floor plan. budget is 40000 but going to burst it.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 11.17.12 PM.png

Hi mamit! I've the same layout as yours ! 

However still a couple of months away to key collection . 

I've engaged My Id too after going thru a few :)

lookingforward to your 3D & other stuff!

1 hour ago, fifteenmay said:

hi is there a good promo for bosch oven?

Yes there is a anniversary sale now. Until end of the year. 

3 hours ago, vxnne said:

Hi mamit! I've the same layout as yours ! 

However still a couple of months away to key collection . 

I've engaged My Id too after going thru a few :)

lookingforward to your 3D & other stuff!

I will put them once I get them!

your layout same as mine except mine is flip in opposite direction. getting my keys soon (Spring Haven BTO).

1 hour ago, mamit said:

Yes there is a anniversary sale now. Until end of the year. 

ah i saw the sale on their website! time to seriously consider!

and wow.. kudos on choosing a id who has the most ex quote. he must have wowed you a lot! looking forward to 3d and your progress!

7 hours ago, fifteenmay said:

ah i saw the sale on their website! time to seriously consider!

and wow.. kudos on choosing a id who has the most ex quote. he must have wowed you a lot! looking forward to 3d and your progress!

Hi fifteenmay.

we ended up not picking him. We found a 5th one. haha. I will give a more updated post once I get my final layout and plans!