Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fingerscross

Our 4-Bedder Resale Condo Reno Journey 54.5k (excl electric works)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

On a separate note, totally unrelated to reno. I read about a nightnare incident of moving house. Its posted in the house moving section in reno talk. Sorry i dont know how to post the link, else i wld, still trying to figure out how to post photos correctly:lol:

House moving is somethg almost everyone takes for granted incl myself. I mean what could go wrong with loading and unloading stuff up a lorry and travelling frm pt A to B right?

https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/79202-bad-experience-with-mover/

Hi just figured out how to get the link here.

Edited by fingerscross

On 9/8/2017 at 4:13 PM, fingerscross said:

On a separate note, totally unrelated to reno. I read about a nightnare incident of moving house. Its posted in the house moving section in reno talk. Sorry i dont know how to post the link, else i wld, still trying to figure out how to post photos correctly:lol:

House moving is somethg almost everyone takes for granted incl myself. I mean what could go wrong with loading and unloading stuff up a lorry and travelling frm pt A to B right?

https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/79202-bad-experience-with-mover/

Hi just figured out how to get the link here.

This is really a very unlucky incident.

Somehow after reading through I stand on the owner side more than LCH. 

16 hours ago, Songz said:

This is really a very unlucky incident.

Somehow after reading through I stand on the owner side more than LCH. 

Totally agree with you on this, but its so easy for logistics co that are not pte ltd to get out of bad reviews.....just go ACRA set up a new co. and they can start with a fresh sheet. So maybe b4 engaging a mover, wld be gd to chk how long they have been in business.

5 hours ago, Kobelala said:

Insightful n informative t blog...  camp! :D

Wah thanks for the compliments ah! So tempted to give you a like but wait ppl say i kelong:D

Saw 1 of the post regarding the plug,

You can try getting the black color type like this. I got this cause I don want the white to stand out too much and made the whole part look weird (*Ignore the Baygon spray :P )

Plug (Black).jpg

5 hours ago, Songz said:

Saw 1 of the post regarding the plug,

You can try getting the black color type like this. I got this cause I don want the white to stand out too much and made the whole part look weird (*Ignore the Baygon spray :P )

Plug (Black).jpg

Thks for sharing, its a good idea.

Prelude To The Grandpa Story

Anyone actually looking forward to this post??  

This is kind of like a warning post. The next post will be a looooong one. Its sort of relevant to reno, more for owners of resale condo and newbie IDs.

Hope no one reads till the end then grumbles, "WT£! Totally not relevant to me, wasted 5 mins of my life! I could have made a baby with that time!"

Story akang datang, will type, read and post as i go along....patience young jedi

Resale Condo - The Unloved Child of IDs

Just for this post, resale condo here refers to developments older than 5 yrs and the residents there have stayed long enough to forget that renovations are noisy and messy affairs.

Below is kind of like a flash back for me too.

So you've just put your downpayment down, got your bank loan approved. You're thinking what a bargain! Lets do up everything! You send out your floor plan and job list to IDs ,contractors and carpenters thinking they will be tripping themselves over for this fat project...........PAHLeeeeeeeesssss!!

BTOs vs Resale HDB vs Resale Condo

BTO

Walk pass any ID showroom and you will see displayed prominently are attractive packages for BTOs. The big ID firns are all fighting for this piece of fat meat. Why? The lifts are all boarded up. Most units are undergoing reno so in the event something is damaged, very hard for HDB to pin point a particular ID firm. Most importantly, no one to complaint about noise and mess.

Resale HDB

ID firms dish out pretty decent packages for this market pie. Mainly because HDB dwellers are generally easy going people. We r mostly nice and tolerant of our neighbours, hence very little complaint abt noise n mess. Unless you stay in Yishun of course. If you r a Yishunite and the song "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by The Clash is playing in your head. Just remember this....Halimah loves you:D

Resale Condo

If you've read till here, then i guess you lot are not into quickies:P. For resale condo, we too have our reno package.....its the most expensive package. IDs taking on our project means having to deal with security, estate manager and fussy neighbours. Its kind of like staying in a condo makes one noise intolerant. So how does one nego a good reno deal for resale condo??? More on this later.

Coming up next...(Based on a true story)

From Tiler To Contractor To Tiler To Driver

The first person i seeked advise frm aft buying my unit was an acquaintance who used to do odd job as a tiler cum painter freelance. Then he started to take on whole projects and sub-out the things he couldnt do like carpentry. He couldnt fight with the big boys for the hdb market so he just did mainly resale condo. Fussy clients wld find the slightest fault with the work done and in the end after numerous rectifications, he wld give up and give discount or even forego the final payment. The one project that made him give up as a contractor and go back to being a tiler....a resale condo in the south-eastern part of spore. 

The client flew overseas frequently so rendered little to no support when it came to dealing with the Management Committee. The Chairman of the Management Committee was of the same race as the client.  The Chairman stayed one flr below the unit undergoing reno. He worked the night and slept till early noon in the day. Work was only allowed to commence at 2 30pm(his rule) and was to stop at 5.30pm (management rule)

So naturally there was delay in handing over. At first the client claim nevermind nevermind. Prefered not to fight for contractor's right. Then upon handing over found fault with minor minor things and brought up that because project delay by 6 mths he incurred additional rental cost. Soooooo Discount!! Making a huge lost on a severely overun project. 

Coming up next....how to nego a gd deal for your resale condo

Sorry for the lack of urgency with the tips. Experienced abit of a writer's block when i got to the final bit. There was so much i wanted to say, yet felt that....

So i've decided to keep this simple. 

A reasonble and understanding client will get a reasonable quote. However, to be fair to your ID, wld be good to let him/her know your true expectations to avoid arguments later.

Now back to my reno journey. Just got our keys and ID asked to meet tomorrow together with tiler. He is hoping to start asap after chinese 7th mth. 

I took some photos ystd for all to see the the current condition of the house

The house entrance.

The shoe cabinet shown is done by previous owner. Since the condition still looks ok we will keep it and just do a 2ft seatie with storage next to it in matching laminate

20170916_120921.jpg

Foyer

Will be doing full height shoe cum display cabinet here. Will get management to shift the intercomm further in near to where the light switch currently is. The other side will be full height mirror

20170916_113559.jpg