Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fingerscross

Our 4-Bedder Resale Condo Reno Journey 54.5k (excl electric works)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Had a super busy day yesterday. There was 0 interest in the stainless steel laundry system i was giving away. Made me wonder if any forumers trying to sell their used furniture in the preloved section had any success. Felt it was a waste to get ID's guys to dismantle n dispose it. So i tried to convince my wife to keep it. Nope, 0 success, but she agreed to let me dismantle it and have it installed in our current hse...2 screws later, i said ,  " Screw it! Lets just get Wayne to get rid of it.":P

While i was taking measurements in the master bathroom(ID wanted  to use the cut out pieces of the quartz top frm sink n stove to do FOC shampoo racks)...deng, deng, deng! I realised there was a gap of wasted space between the current shower screen n constructed vanity. Been here a couple of times and never noticed this. Drew a line on the flr n watsapp ID. Wanted to have the new shower screen built on top of the constructed vanity to increase the shower area, and the slope starting frm the line indicated. He replied ok no prob.....was wondering to myself....hmmm did he get the msg??  So arranged to have an urgent meeting with him just to be sure everyone is on the same page. My worry was unfounded, but since i was aldy there, i asked him to do some quartz racks for plants in the toilets. The plant racks wld also come in handy to cover the holes where the previous owner had their towel racks in place. 

IMG-20170923-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170923-WA0000.jpg

Haha, opps! i just realised wife is captured in the background tying her hair....now for some damage control cause she does come in here to read.....u looking hot wifey:D

So back to ystd...did some fan and LED strip and driver shopping for cove and cabinet lightings. Was advised 2 wks ago by Mr.Tee frm n lighting, frm Space @ tampines to get steel casing drivers. His shop doesnt sell this so i got them frm Geylang. These do not have safety mark...so took a photo of the driver. 

Lastly we headed to n lighting to change some of the lightings we selected. At the same time showed Tee the photo of the  driver we bought and asked his opinion. It was perfect, and was told currently no safety mark for steel casing LED drivers because no one has bothered to test these. But its probably the safest out there.

When we were flipping catalogues looking for a fan for the yard....saw the fino frm Amasco. When asked abt pricing, he straight off recommended Elmark instead because of pricing n power. But his shop doesnt sell Elmark. Really impressed with him, honest and knowledgeable.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, fingerscross said:

Had a super busy day yesterday. There was 0 interest in the stainless steel laundry system i was giving away. Made me wonder if any forumers trying to sell their used furniture in the preloved section had any success. Felt it was a waste to get ID's guys to dismantle n dispose it. So i tried to convince my wife to keep it. Nope, 0 success, but she agreed to let me dismantle it and have it installed in our current hse...2 screws later, i said ,  " Screw it! Lets just get Wayne to get rid of it.":P

While i was taking measurements in the master bathroom(ID wanted  to use the cut out pieces of the quartz top frm sink n stove to do FOC shampoo racks)...deng, deng, deng! I realised there was a gap of wasted space between the current shower screen n constructed vanity. Been here a couple of times and never noticed this. Drew a line on the flr n watsapp ID. Wanted to have the new shower screen built on top of the constructed vanity to increase the shower area, and the slope starting frm the line indicated. He replied ok no prob.....was wondering to myself....hmmm did he get the msg??  So arranged to have an urgent meeting with him just to be sure everyone is on the same page. My worry was unfounded, but since i was aldy there, i asked him to do some quartz racks for plants in the toilets. The plant racks wld also come in handy to cover the holes where the previous owner had their towel racks in place. 

IMG-20170923-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170923-WA0000.jpg

The gap is perfect for a rectangular dustbin, just my opinion.....

Edited by KFC1189

6 hours ago, KFC1189 said:

Hi Fingerscross, do you have a floor plan of your resale condo? A floor plan is good for visualization and understanding.

Hi KFC, wow its the first time greeting a fellow forumer here made me hungry:D

Your suggestion to put a dustbin in the gap is a valid one. However for my wife and myself, we love our food. So we have developed a habit of bathing together after working out together. Its more out of convenience than kink. So we would definitely appreciate the extra shower space now that the shower screen is pushed all the way to the vanity. 

Below is a photo of our floor plan. Our unit is a mirror image of the original, so we did a flip. The prev owner had done a reno on all 3 toilets a few yrs back, hence the bathtub in masterbath isnt there anymore. The shower area now is where the bathtub was originally.

20170925_202411.jpg

After day 1 (26/9/17). Hacking and disposal of kitchen and yard tiles completed. Wardrobes for all 4 rooms and kitchen cabinets all dismantled and disposed. Cant seem to load photos. Not sure if its bcos i reached my limit. Will talk thru the hiccups i faced instead.

Kitchen wall tiles were not tiled up by developer behind the cabinets. Not an issue since most will be covered by new cabinets.....except for above fridge. We didnt want a small cabinet above fridge but now all i see is bare n rough cement. Keeping options open on this. 

Demolition workers damaged the kitchen door frame abit...3 deep chips / dents can be seen....looks easy to rectify with putty b4 painting work

Mastertoilet will have plenty of holes where the old shower screen once was. After hacking away the kerb today and maybe tiles at shower area, the wall tiles might be in a worse situation.....keeping options open on this too

Common toilet some tiles were damaged when the workers removed a steel frame with 6 hooks. The current wall tiles suck....its those matt type without any protection glaze...so easy to scratch n stain, rust spots r immposible to remove. No budget to do up everythg. Hope i wont regret not doing up all 3 toilets entirely.....need to leave with these crab tiles for another 6 to 8 yrs. I might actually choose to paint it to cover up the sratch n rust spots since the tile actually looks like white paint. Not entirely sure on what to do here.

Bedroom 2 when the workers were dismantling the wardrobe, the top partition board came off as well because it was not supported by anythg. Initially ID suggested doing full height like my masterbedroom. But we wanted to install a elmark NMD39 fan there so looks like have to board this back up.

Went into this reno expecting hiccups...there are defintitely more than expected on day 1...but so far so gd. There seems to be an easy solution for all probs faced. Quite pleased with ID too....he stayed for most of yesterday ......if not i think there would definitely be more damages. Demolition workers are abit like piranhas except with hands.....whatever they can grab a hold of they will just destroy. Fast workers yes......careful workers not. I was there for about 1 hour....witnessed 2 of them take apart the kitchen cabinet while another disposed it while another laid protective pvc n cardboard on floor n door. When i left the kitchen was aldy empty. 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:55 AM, fingerscross said:

After day 1 (26/9/17). Hacking and disposal of kitchen and yard tiles completed. Wardrobes for all 4 rooms and kitchen cabinets all dismantled and disposed. Cant seem to load photos. Not sure if its bcos i reached my limit. Will talk thru the hiccups i faced instead.

Kitchen wall tiles were not tiled up by developer behind the cabinets. Not an issue since most will be covered by new cabinets.....except for above fridge. We didnt want a small cabinet above fridge but now all i see is bare n rough cement. Keeping options open on this. 

Demolition workers damaged the kitchen door frame abit...3 deep chips / dents can be seen....looks easy to rectify with putty b4 painting work

Mastertoilet will have plenty of holes where the old shower screen once was. After hacking away the kerb today and maybe tiles at shower area, the wall tiles might be in a worse situation.....keeping options open on this too

Common toilet some tiles were damaged when the workers removed a steel frame with 6 hooks. The current wall tiles suck....its those matt type without any protection glaze...so easy to scratch n stain, rust spots r immposible to remove. No budget to do up everythg. Hope i wont regret not doing up all 3 toilets entirely.....need to leave with these crab tiles for another 6 to 8 yrs. I might actually choose to paint it to cover up the sratch n rust spots since the tile actually looks like white paint. Not entirely sure on what to do here.

Bedroom 2 when the workers were dismantling the wardrobe, the top partition board came off as well because it was not supported by anythg. Initially ID suggested doing full height like my masterbedroom. But we wanted to install a elmark NMD39 fan there so looks like have to board this back up.

Went into this reno expecting hiccups...there are defintitely more than expected on day 1...but so far so gd. There seems to be an easy solution for all probs faced. Quite pleased with ID too....he stayed for most of yesterday ......if not i think there would definitely be more damages. Demolition workers are abit like piranhas except with hands.....whatever they can grab a hold of they will just destroy. Fast workers yes......careful workers not. I was there for about 1 hour....witnessed 2 of them take apart the kitchen cabinet while another disposed it while another laid protective pvc n cardboard on floor n door. When i left the kitchen was aldy empty. 

Good luck on the renovation.

Seems that you have quite an experience based on your proposed solution for the issues. :good:

On 29/09/2017 at 0:22 PM, Songz said:

Good luck on the renovation.

Seems that you have quite an experience based on your proposed solution for the issues. :good:

Thks Songz, hows ur reno coming along? Everythg 顺顺?

Just came back from site visit. Whats new?......First round of electrical cabling and data cabling done. Very pleased with most of the work except one single point location. ID will get electrician to shift it further out so its almost directly behind the fridge. Was informed that wet works will commence on Monday. Very pleased with the pace and progress so far.

The last photo is the double point for  the master toilet it will be hidden in the mirror cabinet. We intend to have our hairdryers kept in the mirror cabinet

20170930_115450.jpg

IMG-20170927-WA0065.jpg

20170929_065629.jpg

8 hours ago, fingerscross said:

Thks Songz, hows ur reno coming along? Everythg 顺顺?

There are some delays as the carpentry was made wrongly. 

Soooooo.....whats happening? Well, there is abit to update on. But since my wife has been bugging me to share about our adventure on the curtains, i shall do that first.

Way way back in June, now....this is gng to be a little embarassing to share for me. Its way back b4 we even confirmed on an ID. We went to some home and reno fair at expo. Upon entry, when we turned right, we were greeted buy a guy with some curtain samples. So he asked me to touch n feel the samples and i did. Being a typical guy, the feeling of something soft and smooth brought upon an immediate high:P. So he managed to invite us into his booth for a seat....brought out more samples to touch n feel. I had a floor plan on hand(wanted to get quotes frm IDs there but didnt), so showed him to get a quotation. Then came the deal maker....a bottle of mineral water. So i ended up parting with $200 to lock down our curtain supplier just like that. Thank goodness i m not a girl, If not i'd be the cheapest lay in town.

Guy A to guy B, " Eh, check that babe at your 2 o' clock."

Guy B to guy A, "Lets go buy her a drink."

Guy A, " no need lah, this one give her New Water can already.":D:D

For the next 3 hrs....wife took every oppourtunity she had to give me dirty looks while shaking her head and making irritating tsk tsk tsk sounds:P

Ok now back to hse reno. We have a pretty serious crowd here. So i will try to be serious when it comes to updates too

This morning i didnt feel like visiting site. Thought since i aldy met the tiler n they wld probably start with kitchen anyway, it made more sense to drop by tomorrow. My main concern is still master toilet. The rest looks rather straight forward. Next thing, i received a series of photos frm ID. False ceiling guys were also on site today together with tiler. Things are moving really fast. 

IMG-20171002-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20171002-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20171002-WA0010.jpg

As Jennifer Lopez's personal trainer, Mr Firmerbutt would say...squatting will give you a really firm lower body. I leave it to you to be the judge:P....well, i did say i will try to be serious

IMG-20171002-WA0009.jpg

Ok ok, now i must admit, this tiler is really serious with his work....he is actually taking measurements to see which area needs to be hacked abit more before screed is laid. Really glad everyone is taking this reno job seriously:)