Jump to content
Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Goodenf

Is architect quote reasonable?

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I am in the process of closing my purchase of an interterrace and evaluating the cost it takes to make room for my family.

We are looking to add a bedroom with ensuite bathroom on the second level  as well as adding some build space to the 1st floor. We are trying to keep everything else in the house that are useable as is. Land size is approx 2070 and build in space is approx 1500. Suffice to say we are looking to add about 750-1000 sqf to build in. Our requirement is very basic and functional. No design required. I’m even open to reminder materials from Builders other projects.

An archrect currently quote me me $400k for construction and estimate $80k for all fees (including his fee of $40k). He said adding a slab with piling at the back for the room extension would cost $200k already.

can someone tell me this is reasonable? From what I read here, my first instinct is on the high side but not certain ( for about $500k to add 1000 sqf comes up to $500 psf).

thanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Goodenf said:

Hi all, 

I am in the process of closing my purchase of an interterrace and evaluating the cost it takes to make room for my family.

We are looking to add a bedroom with ensuite bathroom on the second level  as well as adding some build space to the 1st floor. We are trying to keep everything else in the house that are useable as is. Land size is approx 2070 and build in space is approx 1500. Suffice to say we are looking to add about 750-1000 sqf to build in. Our requirement is very basic and functional. No design required. I’m even open to reminder materials from Builders other projects.

An archrect currently quote me me $400k for construction and estimate $80k for all fees (including his fee of $40k). He said adding a slab with piling at the back for the room extension would cost $200k already.

can someone tell me this is reasonable? From what I read here, my first instinct is on the high side but not certain ( for about $500k to add 1000 sqf comes up to $500 psf).

thanks.

 

Do you have any floor plan to post on so that we could see what you will be building, and is this an A&A work or does the job could be done by contractors as well ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By adding and extend part of the house, I assume it is just an A&A work.  You don't need an architect for A&A work and can be done by any builder or contractor.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if existing GFA is 1500sqf and planning to add another 750sqf to 1000 sqf will exceed the less than 50% additional GFA limit for A&A.
this will become a reconstruction and will require architect.

architect fees quoted which is 10% of construction cost seems to be the norm. some may quote higher percentage. if you feel it's expensive can always find second or third opinions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, Chubbyfat2 said:

Do you have any floor plan to post on so that we could see what you will be building, and is this an A&A work or does the job could be done by contractors as well ? 

Hi, i only have the plan bought from BCA but that really does not tell me anything. Through speaking with the architect, he asked me to pay for a QS to come and draw one. It will cost me about $2-3K. Is that correct guys? Sorry i don't have experience in this. Can anyone help advice?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 1:35 PM, cymon said:

By adding and extend part of the house, I assume it is just an A&A work.  You don't need an architect for A&A work and can be done by any builder or contractor.

 

 

Thanks.That's helpful. Let me start looking for Builder instead. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,

      U may consider getting another quote from Maxzo Interior they are a Design & build company with many years experience and price are very reasonable . Just call 6656 0720 for a no obligation quote and meeting . Thks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently purchased a 2 storey corner terrace. This is an old corner terrace so there is only one toilet on the ground floor and 2 toilets (master, 2 bedrooms co share on the second floor)

we would like to build a 0.5 (attic), build a covered balcony above carporch, and one powder room, one en-suite toilet, extend the 2 toilets on 2nd level (demolish the wall and extend out), redo the staircase as the steps are narrow to us. 

can someone please let me know for such changes, is there a need to hire an architect? 

Does anyone here knows the fees for getting a PE or structural engineer? 

Thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I have recently purchased a 2 storey corner terrace. This is an old corner terrace so there is only one toilet on the ground floor and 2 toilets (master, 2 bedrooms co share on the second floor)

we would like to build a 0.5 (attic), build a covered balcony above carporch, and one powder room, one en-suite toilet, extend the 2 toilets on 2nd level (demolish the wall and extend out), redo the staircase as the steps are narrow to us. 

can someone please let me know for such changes, is there a need to hire an architect? 

Does anyone here knows the fees for getting a PE or structural engineer? 

Thank you.

Additional storey means reconstruction will require architect to do submission. 

PE fees will differ from firm to firm and the scope of work. It will definitely be a 5 digit amount ranging to 10k+ onwards

note that all professional fees don’t include fees for submission to authorities. So expect to put aside another 10k to 15k for submission fees

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone (architect or builder) who can advise how different is the cost of the whole place if we hire architect vs builder.

Work to be done are:

1. Have a sheltered balcony on top of the drive way shelter

2. Extend out the 2 toilets (confirm wall needs to be extended out)

3. Re roofing for whole house plus new area

4. Build an attic (have not decided whether whol floor or half floor as we are concern we will the height on L2. 

5. Build a new toilet/powder room on L1 and build a maid’s room(still thinking if we need the maid’s room)

6. Change from single to 3 phase though I don’t think we will use that much electricity. 

Any advise is appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Is there anyone (architect or builder) who can advise how different is the cost of the whole place if we hire architect vs builder.

Work to be done are:

1. Have a sheltered balcony on top of the drive way shelter

2. Extend out the 2 toilets (confirm wall needs to be extended out)

3. Re roofing for whole house plus new area

4. Build an attic (have not decided whether whol floor or half floor as we are concern we will the height on L2. 

5. Build a new toilet/powder room on L1 and build a maid’s room(still thinking if we need the maid’s room)

6. Change from single to 3 phase though I don’t think we will use that much electricity. 

Any advise is appreciated.

The works you are looking at will definitely need an architect as you are adding an additional storey. 

The difference is whether you are engaging the architect direct or through the builder. 

If you engage the architect directly, you will also have to engage a PE for your structural works as well whereas a builder will cover everything in his quotation. 

From this it would seem that it would be cheaper and easier to just go to a builder. Easier is definitely a yes but cheaper or not could be subjective. 

However by just engaging the builder directly, when there are issues or disputes on the work done or to be done, it’s iust you against the builder. Whereas if you engage an architect, the architect is supposed to resolve all these issues for you and be on your side to check all work done are in order. 

Of cos there will be instances where the builder is very good and things all go smoothly. But it’s whether you will be lucky to choose a builder who is good and whether your entire project doesn’t meet with any unexpected situations.

Also most builders will normally have a kind of standard design on the houses as the architect is just doing the signing and submission of the builder’s design with almost no design input from the architect  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your input. 

We are thinking whether the total cost of hiring an architect will be cheaper or x% more expensive than a builder.

The idea of hiring an architect sounds good as he represents us. And any dispute will be handled by the architect. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Thank you for your input. 

We are thinking whether the total cost of hiring an architect will be cheaper or x% more expensive than a builder.

The idea of hiring an architect sounds good as he represents us. And any dispute will be handled by the architect. 

 

 

The thing is no one can just tell you straight away based on the few line of requirements. There needs to be some calculation done based on your actual site and land information and existing building and structure information. 

From the existing building plans, someone need to work out how much increase in GFA you want. After which an estimated on construction cost can be given. But this estimate is will change based on how much additional structural work needs to be done on the existing house to cater for the attic. Then soil investigation needs to be done to determine if piling is needed for your extensions or not.

At the end of the day, the total cost for both could be the same or going the builder route might be cheaper by a few tens of thousands. Unless you can spare the time to go to site every other day and monitor the project progress closely, I would say getting the architect to do this and update you would be better. Cos even if you have the time to monitor the progress, do you have the domain knowledge to know that what is being done by the builder is correct and according to specifications?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi snooze, 

How does it work to engage an architect? Do they work like contractors/Builders whereby they will drop by and view the place, and we send them the floor plan and they let us know the estimate? 

Would you be able to share what you are aware?

thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×