Jump to content
Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
imzz

Ducted vs Cassette Aircon

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I see that nowadays a lot of houses have ducted aircon for living room. The alternative is of course the good old cassette aircon, efficient and reliable.

Can I know what is the estimated price difference (including the output and the compressor unit) if I were to install it in living + dinning area of about 1000 sqft?

 

Thanks,

Imzz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I was searching on coolserve website on aircon pricing. the price difference between ducted and wall/celiing mounted units (supply and install) not much difference.

best is find an aircon specialist to work out how much BTU required for your living room based on the layout then can work out how many units required so you can know the cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did take a look at coolserve, but those doesnt look like the ducted aircon unit? I have seem some that have very long strip of opening and are downward facing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, imzz said:

I did take a look at coolserve, but those doesnt look like the ducted aircon unit? I have seem some that have very long strip of opening and are downward facing. 

http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=3614&prodName='SUY-KA30VA / PEY-P30JA'

this is ducted AC unit. normally this would be hidden inside the false ceiling and directly connected to the ductings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, snoozee said:

http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=3614&prodName='SUY-KA30VA / PEY-P30JA'

this is ducted AC unit. normally this would be hidden inside the false ceiling and directly connected to the ductings.

I see. i was told the cost is substantially higher but wasn't told the absolute amount. 2k actually not a lot of difference. Then i guess the cost comes in the form of ducting installation?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, imzz said:

I see. i was told the cost is substantially higher but wasn't told the absolute amount. 2k actually not a lot of difference. Then i guess the cost comes in the form of ducting installation?

the ducting will definitely cost money since we're taking about putting in galvanized steel ducts along with insulation materials plus labour.

cost wise best is talk to an aircon installer to find out. then share with me? :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, snoozee said:

the ducting will definitely cost money since we're taking about putting in galvanized steel ducts along with insulation materials plus labour.

cost wise best is talk to an aircon installer to find out. then share with me? :P

Haha sure. Called them up to ask. So end up the price you see at coolserve is for compressor and unit. The aircon trunking cost as much as the system itself. For my targetted area of 800 sqfeet, cassette will be about 8k with installation. Ducted will cost at least 15k with installation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, imzz said:

Haha sure. Called them up to ask. So end up the price you see at coolserve is for compressor and unit. The aircon trunking cost as much as the system itself. For my targetted area of 800 sqfeet, cassette will be about 8k with installation. Ducted will cost at least 15k with installation

wow! I presume both cassette and ducted are quoted with 2 sets of equipment?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yc_mw said:

Hi,

Can I know if you went with ducted or cassette eventually? I'm having the same dilemma now.

are you doing a full rebuilt or A&A?

if just A&A, would you be able to accept a lower ceiling height due to the ducted aircon? the ducts will have to be run below any existing beams and if the beams are already quite thick, you will lose more ceiling space. of cos if your house already has a 4m high ceiling, losing another 0.5m shouldn't be much of an issue.

for my own house, we opted for ducted aircon for the living room as we didn't have much wall space to do wall mount and we have a double volume living room so ceiling cassette is out. but the ducting design was another challenge itself due to my ducting having to run under a beam and then needing to make the drop as low as possible and at the same time keeping the eventual box up as small as possible and aesthetically pleasing at the same time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, snoozee said:

are you doing a full rebuilt or A&A?

if just A&A, would you be able to accept a lower ceiling height due to the ducted aircon? the ducts will have to be run below any existing beams and if the beams are already quite thick, you will lose more ceiling space. of cos if your house already has a 4m high ceiling, losing another 0.5m shouldn't be much of an issue.

for my own house, we opted for ducted aircon for the living room as we didn't have much wall space to do wall mount and we have a double volume living room so ceiling cassette is out. but the ducting design was another challenge itself due to my ducting having to run under a beam and then needing to make the drop as low as possible and at the same time keeping the eventual box up as small as possible and aesthetically pleasing at the same time.

 

Hi Snoozee,

Thanks for sharing. I'm doing simple A&A. My place is  the old style split level IT. Am considering ducted as the 'wind' is suppose to be stronger and able to cool down the entire level faster. What's holding me back is the maintenance. Suppose to be more troublesome for routine maintenance & cleaning?

Can you please share on the maintenance & cleaning costs or routines for your ducted aircons?

Thanks Snoozee

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents: Ducted more prone to leak along the ducting compared to cassette, hence damaging the false ceiling. 
Cassette rate of cooling can match to that of ducted if proper BTU selection done properly by determining overall air volume in the room.  

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add on to what AWS mentioned, the "leak" along the duct is more due to condensation on the ducts rather than actual water leakage. however, this should not happen if the ducting is properly insulated when being installed.

ducted aircon utilises a big blower unit to push air through the ducts. the sizing of the blower and corresponding condenser unit depends on the area needed to be cooled. so a ducted aircon can have same BTU rating as ceiling cassette units.

one thing I missed out to mention is that the bigger BTU required, the bigger the size of the condenser unit. a 42K BTU condenser unit can be more than 1.2m high depending on brand and model. so if you do not have the space to install/move such a big condenser unit, then you may have to use a smaller BTU unit which provides lesser cooling. so in order to achieve the same cooling for a room, 2 sets of aircon may be needed. if there's no space for 2 sets of ducting and blower units, then choosing ceiling cassette or wall mount units would be preferred unless one can live with slightly less cooling.

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×