Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sora

Reno Cost Of Bathroom Overhaul?

My attached bathroom to my condo has water seeping up through the floor tiles and walls whenever anyone bathes. It's wet and nasty.

Got my contractor in and he took one look and said, "your copper piping has burst".

He reccommends redoing everything as he will have to hack the bathtub and the floor/wall tiles to get to the copper pipes to replace. My husband and I also sick of bathtub so we are just going to put in a shower area.

I am due to get his quote this week, anyone redo entire bathroom before?

How much is the cost?

It is not very big, about 2.5m by 2.5m.

This is what I have to do:

1) Hack tiles, counter, bathtub

2) Replace copper piping

3) Replace all the tiles

4) Replace plaster ceiling

5) Replace cultured marble vanity top

6) Replace mirror

7) Replace toilet bowl

8) Install Shower screen

Any idea how much this would cost so I can compare roughly to the quote my contractor will give? Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Oh.... ok.. I agree that 2.5X2.5m is not very big.. but it is still HUGE, something like 8ft X 8ft! Toilets are usually in the 6X8 ft range.

Just some advice.. reno work is really a economies of scale thing. Just doing 1 toilet is not exactly very efficient for the contractor, unless his workers can do every trade.

If excluding labour costs..

1) Hack tiles, counter, bathtub = $500

2) Replace copper piping = $200

3) Replace all the tiles = (236sqft + 64sqft) X $3.00 + = $900

4) Replace plaster ceiling =$300

5) Replace cultured marble vanity top $700

6) Replace mirror $200

7) Replace toilet bowl = $350

8) Install Shower screen = $800

9) Waterproofing =$200

10) basin =$150

11) Taps/Mixer/Shower Bar/Rainshower/ bib =$700

12) Towel rack/soap holder/toilet holder =$200

13) Cabinet below vanity top =$300

14) new lamp X3 = $200

15) New storage heater =$220

16) Feature wall = $200

Somemore.. if the condo mgt very on, need to apply reno permit, then need to place deposit, protect the lift etc.

I am not a contractor, I just kpo with some average costings. Anyway.. I think yr toilet is big enough to put standing shower and a 3/4 bathtub!

Does anyone knows if it is advisable to install rainshower with concealed piping? ie. the rainshower just shows in the ceiling and the pipe is hiden behind the wall. Will there be problem with maintenace thereafter?

Also, I am not sure what does the defect guarantee entails for condo but one contractor advises that I should not install the rainshower with conceal pipe as he is concern that the Management will not honour the gurantee. Any comments from anyone is appreciated thanks =)

Does anyone knows if it is advisable to install rainshower with concealed piping? ie. the rainshower just shows in the ceiling and the pipe is hiden behind the wall. Will there be problem with maintenace thereafter?

Also, I am not sure what does the defect guarantee entails for condo but one contractor advises that I should not install the rainshower with conceal pipe as he is concern that the Management will not honour the gurantee. Any comments from anyone is appreciated thanks =)

If you want to install rainshower, you must ensure that your water pressure is high and you have a larger storage water heater. Good ones can last very long without leaking. the cheaper once, you may see the small outlets start to clog one by one..