Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nick18

Adding an additional level to existing inter-terrace

Hi,

I am thinking of adding an additional level to a current two storey inter-terrace. What are the consideration factors and also any idea what is an estimated cost of doing so? My intention is only to add a room and a toilet with the rest of the space as balcony. Can anyone advise?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

assuming that your house is in a 2 storey zone, you are looking at adding an attic to the existing house?

you need to consider if the existing structure can take the additional RC floor/roof or not. need to engage a PE to look at the existing plans to do some calculations.

depending on how much floor/roof space to built, I would say you are looking at maybe 300k to 400k.

for adding toilet, you will need to see where is the existing toilet on the 2nd storey and then check the viability of having another toilet on the attic storey or not.

Assuming that the existing structure is able to take it, does that mean that it will cost me around 300 to 400k to remove the roof, erect the 3rd floor and roof? I can do without the toilet if necessary.  Is my understanding correct? The neighbouring terrace is 4 to 5 storey high.

Edited by Nick18

yup. but do check with contractors on the exact costing. what I have given you is a ballpark figure. but your contractor will be able to give you the more accurate quote after looking at your existing house and getting your detailed requirements.

you also need to take into consideration on whether your existing 2nd storey layout have place to add a new staircase up to the attic or not. so it's not just about doing up the top floor.

Edited by snoozee

Thanks... Seems like it is beyond my budget.. might have to kiss my idea good bye.... Cos I thought it will probably cost below 200k to add the additional level.

Hi, 

I am in the midst of getting quotes for doing the same thing as what you planned. 

Below 200k is impossible based on all the builders I spoke to. 

I walked around my estate and asked for quotations and they ranged from 270k, 290k, 350k and 700k. 

It's really very hard to determine which builder to choose from because there are so many of them in the market and a lot of them dont even have any reviews on how bad/good they are. 

Anyone has any recommendations of good builders? 

Thanks for sharing... The price that they verbally quoted to you is only for building the additional level without flooring, toilet etc. right?

It will be good for someone who has done it to share their builder contact... Anyone can recommend?

I got actual quotations as well as verbal ones from neighbours. Actual quotations only include the building and construction of extra floor; i wanted to extend out the frontage slightly to have balconies on level 2 and 3, so the quotation included that. 

I asked for the flooring, toilets, electrical works and carpentry items to be excluded as I have my own Interior Designer who can do those for me. 

Dear all ,  

U May contact Maxzo Interior for a non obligation quotation and viewing . They are a design and build company and  will provide u guys with a details quotation and layout plan .  Call 6656 0720 for more enquirers .