Jump to content
Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Recommended Posts

Recently bought a 2 storey Inter Terrace land 2040sqf, would like to do an extension on the back of 2nd Storey around 450sqf and add a 3rd storey around 1,000sqf.

Anyone idea how much cost would that be to build the structure up with plumbing and electricity.... excluding the flooring and internal finishing?

Any good builder to recommend?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

is your house in a 2 storey or 3 storey landed zone? if it is in a 2 storey zone, you can't add a 3rd storey. but you can add an attic storey to your house.

if you have not done so, go and buy the original plans of your house from BCA. then get a PE to determine if an additional attic can be added to your house or not and see how much strengthening of the existing structure is needed in order to add the attic storey

cost wise, I would say could be anywhere around 300k and upwards just for construction costs. authorities fees and professional fees are not included yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is in a 3 story landed zone. Also saw neighbours extend up to 3 storeys.

The 300K construction cost estimate is for both the 2nd storey back extension and 3rd storey addition?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best is to check URA website to confirm if in a 2 or 3 storey zone. not to be rude but some people think that a 2 storey with attic house is a 3 storey house. if you see your neighbourhood has 3 storey with attic (looks like 4 storey) house, then high chance that you are in a 3 storey zone. however in certain areas, one's house can be in a 2 storey zone but their neighbor across the road is in a 3 storey zone.

300k is my guesstimate. but construction cost has been creeping upwards so chances is that 300k may not be enough, especially if you end up needing to do new foundation for the extension. if you really want to be safe, put aside at least 500k for the entire works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PWS said:

It is in a 3 story landed zone. Also saw neighbours extend up to 3 storeys.

The 300K construction cost estimate is for both the 2nd storey back extension and 3rd storey addition?

That’s a very nice price for the job, if it includes the interior fittings 

i was quoted 150k just to add one more floor. But as mentioned check if you are allowed to add another floor..

I have some contacts for sinks and toilet stuff if you need..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all...… have checked, confirmed can built 3 1/2 storey..

But I really have hard time to estimate the cost for adding the additional space.

@petetherock, may I know for 150K, how big is the space added?

Does it include staircase, roof, necessary plumbing and electrical point? Could you share with me which builder? Thanks in advance for your help....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sent you my builder’s details - Charis

i didn’t do the roof so no idea.. but they are nice folks and responsive 

give Jason  a buzz for more details 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A simple way is to use $350 per square foot of new space. So if you are adding 1000sqf, cost would be about $350,000.

Just to give you a gauge, last year a family friend was quoted 800k++ for a reconstruction of his corner terrace from 2 storey to 3.5 storey. This is only for construction cost and doesn’t include professional fees and submission fees

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how much should we pay normally the PE fee for reconstruction from 2 storeys to 3 storeys? just the PE fee excluding the other submission fee.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, PWS said:

Does anyone know how much should we pay normally the PE fee for reconstruction from 2 storeys to 3 storeys? just the PE fee excluding the other submission fee.

think should be at least high tens to mid twenties of thousand.

you should be paying for the design of the upgraded existing columns and beams, additional/upgrade foundations (if needed), new household shelter, new columns and beams, new floor slab for 3rd storey, roof, railings. not to mention the PE would need to study the existing house plans as well as the soil investigation report.

quite a lot of things to be done by the PE and not simply just put down the name and sign on the drawings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Snoozee Thanks.

Yes they have to do quite a lot I believe...  including submission to various authorities.

I was given a quote of high twenties, I presume that may be the market rate.

So in this case it is not necessary to engage an architect anymore since the PE will take care of all the submission, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PWS said:

@Snoozee Thanks.

Yes they have to do quite a lot I believe...  including submission to various authorities.

I was given a quote of high twenties, I presume that may be the market rate.

So in this case it is not necessary to engage an architect anymore since the PE will take care of all the submission, right?

question is whether you are engaging the PE directly or through a contractor. price will also vary between different PE firms based on what type of jobs the PE are normally handling. if normally handling big jobs, price also will be higher compared to those who are normally handling small housing jobs. do also note that chances of PE who are used to handle big jobs, may end up with higher specifications and designs as they are used to that kind of tolerances required for big jobs.

since you adding another storey, you will need an architect to do the submission to URA and such. if you builder is quoting you a lump sum for everything, chances are that the architect is just putting the name on the submission to authorities and will provide minimal/no design input on your house design.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, snoozee said:

question is whether you are engaging the PE directly or through a contractor. price will also vary between different PE firms based on what type of jobs the PE are normally handling. if normally handling big jobs, price also will be higher compared to those who are normally handling small housing jobs. do also note that chances of PE who are used to handle big jobs, may end up with higher specifications and designs as they are used to that kind of tolerances required for big jobs.

since you adding another storey, you will need an architect to do the submission to URA and such. if you builder is quoting you a lump sum for everything, chances are that the architect is just putting the name on the submission to authorities and will provide minimal/no design input on your house design.

I am engaging the PE directly and get the builder to built according to the PE drawing. The PE will also help on the design base on my need.

Yes I am adding another storey and have no intention to get an architect. I thought the PE can do the submission to URA and the other relevant authorities?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, in URA website, it does say that a QP (either a PE or an architect) can do submissions for A&A works. assuming that the PE can submit to URA for your reconstruction with additional storey, how confident are you that the PE will know all the necessary building regulations to design your house according to the allowed guidelines? the building/renovation of a house is not just involving URA or BCA. there are other agencies involved as well like PUB, NEA, SCDF, LTA, NPARKS, IMDA.

I would suggest you speak to your PE to ask if they can do all the submissions to all agencies for you from approval of project to TOP/CSC. if your PE can and is willing do everything, then good for you to save on architect's cost.

honestly speaking from personal experience, having different consultants for different purpose will save you money and headache. if you are not well versed in all the technical requirements and such for buildings, then having the additional person (architect) to check/verify the requirements is better than just relying everything on the PE to do. remember that humans do make mistakes. and mistakes in construction can become costly.

Edited by snoozee
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×