Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kohsw88

Which Of These Primary School Is Better?

Hi...

My daughter going to primary 1 in 2009. I am moving to marine parade nx year. Next year I have to look for primary school for her. The 3 nearest primary schools are Tao Nan, CHIJ (katong) and Ngee Ann. I wish my daughter can go into any of these schools since it is very near. I don't want her to travel alot and have to wake up very early. I know Tan Nan is not easy to get a place but I heard there is backdoor....duno what backdoor though. Anybody know what is good with Ngee Ann and CHIJ? For myself, I don't come from good pri school and mixed with alot of mischevious ppl when I studied there. Everytime fight after school. :) I hope my daughter can have good study environment and emphasis on moral edu is important.

Any comments? Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There is NO backdoor to admission at Tao Nan. But all members of the Hokkein Huay Kuan are in Phase 2B, which gives you priority. You can only be a member of this association if you're Hokkien, Hockchia, Hockchew.

Send her to Tao Nan only if she is strong in Mandarin or if you, as a parent, is committed to her excelling in Mandarin. I was told that Pri One children start with Higher Mandarin. I could be misinformed here, so it's best you consult the school admin.

I think you need to evaluate your child's personality with the school culture of the schools of your choice. I know for a fact that my children cannot survive in a Chinese speaking environment in Tao Nan, so it is not a school of choice for us. I don't have the committment in learning Mandarin.

All the best in your choice.

There is NO backdoor to admission at Tao Nan. But all members of the Hokkein Huay Kuan are in Phase 2B, which gives you priority. You can only be a member of this association if you're Hokkien, Hockchia, Hockchew.

Send her to Tao Nan only if she is strong in Mandarin or if you, as a parent, is committed to her excelling in Mandarin. I was told that Pri One children start with Higher Mandarin. I could be misinformed here, so it's best you consult the school admin.

I think you need to evaluate your child's personality with the school culture of the schools of your choice. I know for a fact that my children cannot survive in a Chinese speaking environment in Tao Nan, so it is not a school of choice for us. I don't have the committment in learning Mandarin.

All the best in your choice.

wow...thanks man. Actually I am ok with any school as long as the teachers are committed to teach. No need tao nan lah. I don't come from good school also. :)

Thanks

U have mentioned Tao Nan vs. CHIJ vs. Ngee Ann.

These 3 are very different schools, and I think it really depends on the parents. If mandarin speaking background, then consider Tao Nan. If eat potato big, then CHIJ is more relevant. These days.. parental involvement is huge, so is wise to consider whether the school is inline with the parent's preferences.

All teachers are committed to teach. It's really about the language issue.

U have mentioned Tao Nan vs. CHIJ vs. Ngee Ann.

These 3 are very different schools, and I think it really depends on the parents. If mandarin speaking background, then consider Tao Nan. If eat potato big, then CHIJ is more relevant. These days.. parental involvement is huge, so is wise to consider whether the school is inline with the parent's preferences.

All teachers are committed to teach. It's really about the language issue.

eh...My friend's son went into a pri school in Jurong. First incident. The teachers tells the students there is spelling test next monday. When monday comes, spelling test cancelled. When parents ask the teacher why, they said cancelled because it is not necessary.? Second incident. My friend's son told him that the teacher doze off during class, when the students were writing...

My friend, like some parents, don't really bother about primary school. So he enrolled his son to neighbourhood school. Now, he is worried. He wants to transfer his son to another school.

Edited by kohsw88

If you're a parent who believes that a child needs a conducive environment to nurture him/her, then it's enough said that NOT any neighbourhood school will do.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

If you're a parent who believes that a child needs a conducive environment to nurture him/her, then it's enough said that NOT any neighbourhood school will do.

so is ngee ann and chij ok huh? I dun have friend's children study there...so not too sure.

so is ngee ann and chij ok huh? I dun have friend's children study there...so not too sure.

hihi... i am not a parent.. but a ex-student from Tao Nan and i have been staying at Marine Parade since i was borned.. just wanna share my views with you..

basically, the 3 schools here are quite okie... just different demographics and culture???

Tao Nan is a good school.. i went mah.. :D

but it is getting more and more competitive as compared to the days i studied there.. i was quite a lazy student.. :dancingqueen: and of course, all my beloved teachers retired oredi.. went back every teacher day to visit my former teachers last time.. now, new principal, new style.. most of the teachers are strangers to me now.. but i know that they are really particular with Mandarin.. good and bad.. actually, if you are hoping that your kid can improve his/her mandarin, go Tao Nan.. and yes, they starts with Higher Chinese... my sister was a trainee teacher in Tao Nan for Chinese.. so she told me that...

as for Ngee Ann.. i was a volunteer teacher during my Uni days and i went Ngee Ann to help the kids before.. some of them are really smart.. and the school is quite okie too.. but many malays and indians? i am not racist but it seems that there are many more here than in Tao Nan.. :sport-smiley-004:

as for CHIJ... its ang mo school.. as in all speaks english generally... hahaha.. the kids i met on my way home.. my way to work.. hahaha.. so if you wanna improve your's kid english... go there.. sure improve.. i know cos my english quite bad last time.. and it was when i befriend a CHIJ fren.. my english started improving... so funnie.. her chinese improved too after mixing with me for some time too. :yamseng:

zacey, thanks leh. You are helpful, from ID to pri school :D I have yet to call EI.

oh...any back door for Tao Nan? :yamseng: if have, must tell me. :sport-smiley-004: Wow...nx time your children straight to Tao Nan....woo woo

Ok lah, I think my daughter abit ang mo type, maybe try CHIJ. Mandarin v lousy lor...duno leh, i ang moh lousy, mandarin lousy, even dialect lousy...duno why daughter ang mo so gd. I looked at past records, CHIJ katong not very competitive in terms of securing a place...

Some Pri sch got kangtao to get into affiliated Sec sch (CHIJ Pri to CHIJ Sec) is also a consideration factor. no need to worry that much at Pri 6.

If 2nd kid is boy.. then first daughter going into CHIJ means cycle starts again for 2nd kid.

Just some food for thot.

CHIJ, Tao Nan and Ngee Ann are all good schools. CHIJ has been considered a good school for a long time, and Tao Nan has also improved al lot over the years. Ngee Ann, perhaps spurred by the keen competition from CHIJ and Tao Nan, has improved in the last few years.

My brother has 4 kids, and the eldest one is in Primary 6 in Tao Nan, and the 3rd one is in Primary 1 (youngest is going into Tao Nan only next year). From what I gather, teaching methods have changed over the years, and like some of the other contributors to this thread has said, there is a lot of involvement of parents in the children's studies. I've friends who send their kids to CHIJ and Ngee Ann, and I find that these schools also involve the parents quite a fair bit.

If you are staying in Marine Parade, I would think that any of the 3 schools are fine. Each school has a slightly different culture, but the differences in my opinion are marginal. For example, I don't consider Tao Nan to be too Mandarin focused (based on what I see of my nieces and nephew). So you might want to choose one that is the nearest (which will be either Tao Nan or Ngee Ann if you are staying in HDB flats there, since CHIJ is across the road).

For me though, I intend to send my daughter to Tao Nan (still early... she is only 11 months old :deal: ). That's because we are about 900 metres away from Tao Nan.

zacey, thanks leh. You are helpful, from ID to pri school :) I have yet to call EI.

oh...any back door for Tao Nan? :) if have, must tell me. :) Wow...nx time your children straight to Tao Nan....woo woo

Ok lah, I think my daughter abit ang mo type, maybe try CHIJ. Mandarin v lousy lor...duno leh, i ang moh lousy, mandarin lousy, even dialect lousy...duno why daughter ang mo so gd. I looked at past records, CHIJ katong not very competitive in terms of securing a place...

no problem.. just so happened the questions you asked, i can answer... :)

actually, if you staying in marine parade, you can try Tao Nan.. its still my preferred choice.. my alma mater mah.. :deal: and back door?? hmmm, i dunno leh.. maybe do volunteer works??

btw, CHIJ Katong now renovation leh.. the whole building demolished...?? anyone know where the school moves to?? :)

CHIJ, Tao Nan and Ngee Ann are all good schools. CHIJ has been considered a good school for a long time, and Tao Nan has also improved al lot over the years. Ngee Ann, perhaps spurred by the keen competition from CHIJ and Tao Nan, has improved in the last few years.

My brother has 4 kids, and the eldest one is in Primary 6 in Tao Nan, and the 3rd one is in Primary 1 (youngest is going into Tao Nan only next year). From what I gather, teaching methods have changed over the years, and like some of the other contributors to this thread has said, there is a lot of involvement of parents in the children's studies. I've friends who send their kids to CHIJ and Ngee Ann, and I find that these schools also involve the parents quite a fair bit.

If you are staying in Marine Parade, I would think that any of the 3 schools are fine. Each school has a slightly different culture, but the differences in my opinion are marginal. For example, I don't consider Tao Nan to be too Mandarin focused (based on what I see of my nieces and nephew). So you might want to choose one that is the nearest (which will be either Tao Nan or Ngee Ann if you are staying in HDB flats there, since CHIJ is across the road).

For me though, I intend to send my daughter to Tao Nan (still early... she is only 11 months old :deal: ). That's because we are about 900 metres away from Tao Nan.

erm... sorry... maybe i phrased wrongly.. not that Tao Nan is very Mandarin focused.. but that they pay greater attention to Mandarin.. their Chinese teachers to students ratio is bigger loh... i was amazed to hear that they have at least 3x chinese teachers as compared to other schools...

For me though, I intend to send my daughter to Tao Nan (still early... she is only 11 months old :) ). That's because we are about 900 metres away from Tao Nan.

Wow...thanks for your comment. My new place at east coast ave, 1.5km away from Tao Nan and CHIJ. 700m away from Ngee Ann. I think I can get a place in Ngee Ann based on balloting. Probably CHIJ as well. Tao Nan abit too tough...

no problem.. just so happened the questions you asked, i can answer... :)

actually, if you staying in marine parade, you can try Tao Nan.. its still my preferred choice.. my alma mater mah.. :deal: and back door?? hmmm, i dunno leh.. maybe do volunteer works??

btw, CHIJ Katong now renovation leh.. the whole building demolished...?? anyone know where the school moves to?? :)

I heard CHIJ moved to Bedok, coming back in 2009. Just nice for my daughter...if I can get a place there lah...:)

Hi..

I was from CHIJ and then I moved on to Katong Convent .I can ensure you that English language is a top priority in my school. I'm not too sure if the same faculty still exist now , but during my years there, the teachers were very strict ! But they were very passionate about teaching unlike teachers nowadays. I do know some of my old teachers are still teaching there coz I do visit my school now & then.

I live in Tampines and I'm hopeing to get my son in St Hilda's. I manage to speak to the dept head regarding doing volunteer work but was told that still does not guarantee that my son could get a place.

She told me of a DOC who volunteers his time for 2 years and his kid was not even sellected. :dancingqueen:

Now I'm contemplating weather I shd volunteer or not :sport-smiley-004:

But I have a question : My son will be enrolled in pri school in 2009, Can I register more then 1 school ?

so that if he's selected in more then 1 , I can choose which school is best !