Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OnePostWonder

Newbies @ Jalan Membina

this is a safer way of investing your cpf monies. :)

there're pros & cons. for my case, the bigger the investments, the bigger the returns ;) however if the funds/shares are not doing well, then it'll also means higher losses :(

our method are basically another form of 'gambling'...heheh :notti:

yup... in fact, I'm gambling with my reno $$$ now... :)

there're pros & cons to our methods... I start slow, but I have more to "top up" should the investments go red, helps me bring down my WAC... U start fast, but u have to pray hard that nothing happens to the economy and u'll gain much more than me in a shorter period !!

Edited by OnePostWonder

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
HDB has done up the cement screeding for my unit... think it was done on last sat, cos the cement screed was still moist yesterday... so din get to inspect the workmanship... hopefully it will be fine... !!

i applied for the cement screeding on 22 sep, so it took about two weeks...

usually it takes abt 3-4weeks (stated on the application form), so was quite surprise when i visited my unit yesterday and saw the cement screed!

P1100792.JPG

P1100788.JPG

yupz, i will be doing laminates flooring for the all the rooms and LR/DR except the foyer, where most probably will be homo tiles...

Hi redbottle,

btw, who do the marking of how high is the cement screeding?. as I understand this need to be done by the ID/Contractor who do the laminate flooring for you.

Mind to share your experience? and how height was recommended? and what kind of laminate flooring you are doing?

Xlan - Will be collecting keys on 16th

Sparey - 16 to 20

Nemofc - Not collected keys (L15-20)

Jasch - Not collected keys(L2-5)

osjusti - Not collected key (L10-15)

hehe.. saw you guys pretty excited to collect keys.

I even wish I could collect keys much later... so I can save up more for renovation and to lower the loan amount.

anyway, the house is confirmed yours, and it won't run, so long as you have paid your option fees.

gadgetgal, we can delay the collection of keys right? were u told otherwise?

from what I know, you can request to delay collection key (by the stipulated date/not more than the stipulated date). But I think for that, you may need to give/make up some reason. (not sure if you need to provide some documents or not).

For those who is doing their calculation, it is only a rough estimate, cause HDB will suck up your $$ and get that money to pay 2-months upfront of your monthly installment. (the same goes for your PUB if not mistaken, they will charge you two months in advance for monthly subscription before you even start using the service). Concept similar to when you rent a house, you need to pay a deposit+the rent itself.

Btw, for some reason, my OA is not completely cleared, dunno why.. left around 1k plus (the same goes to my hubby's. dunno what is the reason). Btw, do make sure you have some extra for your renov charges. Once you pay-up that's it, you can't take it back.

After renov, if you have excess, you are always welcome to put that money back to your house (to shorten loan), minimum payment $500.

Economy is quite good now, I think it's still okay to use one's cash to shorten loan, you can use up all your cash and use your spouse's cash as a backup in case one is not working. (It is pretty rare if two people goes out of job at the same time...*touchwood*).

Investment?. unless you are pretty good and well verse with it, otherwise,.. shortening loan is a good investment too!. some calculated for maximum loan, you can buy another house of equal value as of now, if you pay cash now!. Imagine if the 3.5% over your 20,000 OA kicks in (as per PM's speech), it'll be pretty good deal as well!

I understand one can't buy condo/private apartment within two years after you get your new house, is it so?.

from what I know, you can request to delay collection key (by the stipulated date/not more than the stipulated date). But I think for that, you may need to give/make up some reason. (not sure if you need to provide some documents or not).

yes according to what my officer told me, in fact i produced the letter during the signing of lease but she was quite nice, she told me to submit when it is my turn to collect keys. if not, hdb will ask me to transfer my bf's power to me since i know he is going to be away...

i can delay to next June...haha if you pass by block 25B, 1 unit not renovated..it is likely to be mine :(

looks like take the maximum loan period 30yrs is more advicable hor.. :(

Hi redbottle,

btw, who do the marking of how high is the cement screeding?. as I understand this need to be done by the ID/Contractor who do the laminate flooring for you.

Mind to share your experience? and how height was recommended? and what kind of laminate flooring you are doing?

hi gadgetgal,

i did not mark the height... so it's the HDB contractor who decide the cement screed thickness...

according to HDB rules, the total thickness of flooring (screed plus whatever overlay) must not exceed 50mm... i believe the HDB contractor would consider this point when he decides on the cement screed thickness... i will check the thickness and update the forum...

probably will be using supreme laminate flooring... the 8mm AC5 kind...

screeding for laminate & parquet flooring :notti:

Hi One, so does it mean that if I am doing homogenous tiles for my whole unit, I do not require cement screeding????

Hi One, so does it mean that if I am doing homogenous tiles for my whole unit, I do not require cement screeding????

i believe so... i saw the process of laying tiles @ Blk 25B 6th floor showroom by Tong Hong... they will spread cement like kaya and place the tile on top... no screeding needed.

laminates & parquet have a flat base... therefore a need cement screeding to level the floor

tiles usually have grooves below and laying tiles on a flat screeded floor is not ideal, the grooves cannot grip on a flat floor

Recommended Link : http://www.stdesign.com.sg/FAQ.htm

Edited by OnePostWonder

For those who is doing their calculation, it is only a rough estimate, cause HDB will suck up your $$ and get that money to pay 2-months upfront of your monthly installment. (the same goes for your PUB if not mistaken, they will charge you two months in advance for monthly subscription before you even start using the service). Concept similar to when you rent a house, you need to pay a deposit+the rent itself.

Btw, for some reason, my OA is not completely cleared, dunno why.. left around 1k plus (the same goes to my hubby's. dunno what is the reason). Btw, do make sure you have some extra for your renov charges. Once you pay-up that's it, you can't take it back.

After renov, if you have excess, you are always welcome to put that money back to your house (to shorten loan), minimum payment $500.

Economy is quite good now, I think it's still okay to use one's cash to shorten loan, you can use up all your cash and use your spouse's cash as a backup in case one is not working. (It is pretty rare if two people goes out of job at the same time...*touchwood*).

Investment?. unless you are pretty good and well verse with it, otherwise,.. shortening loan is a good investment too!. some calculated for maximum loan, you can buy another house of equal value as of now, if you pay cash now!. Imagine if the 3.5% over your 20,000 OA kicks in (as per PM's speech), it'll be pretty good deal as well!

I understand one can't buy condo/private apartment within two years after you get your new house, is it so?.

for your signing of option to pruchase, hdb will only withdraw 10% of the flat's selling price. therefore your cpf monies will not be wiped out during that time. it'll only be wiped out on the day which you're collecting keys. :bangwall:

you can buy private property anytime after you got the keys to your hdb flat...no guidelines on that... :dunno:

Hi Xlan,

I think it is better to stretch the loan repayment period as long as possible. I have a few **** good reason for it after considering and talking to many pp.

1. Your monthly payment should not include any cash portion cause cash can be saved for other investment

2. What if you get retrenched ? You will need to pay cash to cover your loan payment.

3. What if you need to lengthen the loan repayment period when you are having financial problem? - It will takes a lot of paper work and time with HDB.

4. If your life is smooth, I guess you will have extra saving after a few year. Then, you can consider doing partial payment of $10,000 every few year.

5. Once u feel very comfortable with your life, got lots of $$ in CPF or won toto, then u shorten the repayment period or pay the balance in full loh.

Please do not assume that Singapore economy will be up up up forever cause when it comes down some of us will be in mid-40s.

Hi Gadgetgal,

We can only buy private property 5 years from the date of key collection.

No need to touch wood lah - I will be jobless after 31 Dec 2007 and my dear dear will upgrade himself in 2008 so he will quit his job too. Got to eat porridge and bread after collecting the keys.

guys, when i was going to my unit, i realised there're a number of showflats (both 4 & 5-room) at blk 27b. the unit numbers are all written on the walls of the lifts. you may want to drop by to see see look look... :bangwall:

Hi Gadgetgal,

We can only buy private property 5 years from the date of key collection.

is it true? oh... :dunno: let me go find out...

i believe so... i saw the process of laying tiles @ Blk 25B 6th floor showroom by Tong Hong... they will spread cement like kaya and place the tile on top... no screeding needed.

laminates & parquet have a flat base... therefore a need cement screeding to level the floor

tiles usually have grooves below and laying tiles on a flat screeded floor is not ideal, the grooves cannot grip on a flat floor

Recommended Link : http://www.stdesign.com.sg/FAQ.htm

Hi One, thanks.. we already decided on homogenous tiles for the whole house, can't afford marble.. too expensive for us, 600x600 around $12-$17.. We went to SBH last sat and wow, its big and really got alot of tiles to choose from.. Can't decide which is nice, all like machiam same same one...

Edited by binzz

for your signing of option to pruchase, hdb will only withdraw 10% of the flat's selling price. therefore your cpf monies will not be wiped out during that time. it'll only be wiped out on the day which you're collecting keys. :(

you can buy private property anytime after you got the keys to your hdb flat...no guidelines on that... :bangwall:

Yeap and no for complete wipe out, option to purchase - somewhere in June

Collect keys - mid of August

Start of CPF being wiped out - 1st Sept (early sept)

at this point, around 1k excess of CPF was found in both my account and my hubby's acccount.

:dunno: I thot wipe out means.. wipe till zero.

cos my previous calculation on the loan repayment amt is somewhat different from the latest letter i got from HDB.. n i spent quite some time to figure why n redo my maths.. n in my head..

I have your same problem when I went down HDB to sign my agreement. Almost couldn't get my keys on that day due to mis-calculation of balance amount due. :bangwall: The lastest letter we got from HDB was rather confusing. NOT a straight forward letter stating outstanding amount to be paid. Ended up my calculation out by $10K plus. Cold sweat!:dunno::( And according to the HDB officer, lots of people actually went back without signing the agreement due to insufficient funds.

As my flat was under SERS, i dunno if those under balloting ones will face the same problem. Maybe to avoid the unnecessary unhappiness, try calling HDB to work out for you how much is needed. Hopefully none of you will hv my experience.

talking about payment?

Are any sers ppl taking up the advance to pay for renovation? how much is HDB giving in advance?

I guess you talking abt the $30k renovation grant they give to those under SERS. I actually use it to offset the amount outstanding. So NO cash to take from HDB, instead hv to pay extra... cos we change from a 3 room to a 4 room. And not forgetting that HDB will hold on to $10k which will only be given back to us only upon returning of current flat.