Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Youarethefatty

Reconstruction / A&A / Reno Semi D

Hello folks, this is my first landed property and I’m quite lost. Me & my husband are considering a semi-d, currently 2.5 level (2 storey + attic), the land size is about 2500sqf. We are happy with the location, land size and shape of the property. We will be staying with our kids and parents thus we need more rooms. We have a few questions & hope the experts here are able to help. 

- roughly how much it would cost if we build up to level 3 + attic, does this means we would be tearing down the current level 2.5?We have no intention to tear down the existing building, the current level 1 & 2 are ok for us.

- The cost for lift to be installed in the house 

- It is possible to add extra toilet at all the levels (new & existing)

our budget is less than $1m, possible?

Edited by Youarethefatty

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

is your house in a 2 storey landed zone, 3 storey landed zone or zoned with plot ratio 1.4? you can go to URA landed housing master plan to check the zone your house is located in if you're not sure.

if it is a 2 storey zone, you can't add on anything more unless you tear down and rebuilt and add a mezzanine floor in between the storeys.

if it is a 3 storey zone or plot ratio 1.4 zone, you can add 1 more storey to make it into a 3.5 storey house. but a lot depends on the existing structure and this will require a PE to read the current structural plans and advise accordingly. your roof would have to be replaced, a new RC slab would need to be cast for the new attic floor, new columns and beams for the new attic floor (and maybe new 3 storey as well depending on existing structure) as well as a new roof.

To retrofit a lift could be around the region of 100k for the lift equipment and new lift shaft. your PE would need to find a suitable location within the house to install the lift. alternatively if the house is set back more than the 7.5m, you could possibly add the lift in front of the house as well. It all depends on the existing layout.

you can add additional toilets. your architect/M&E engineer/builder would need to study the existing plans and see where the toilets can be placed to join back to existing waste pipes which would be the most cost effective. to run new waste pipes and excavate the ground floor to join pipes back to the last IC will cost you quite a bit.

I think 1M may be doable but also depends on how extensive work you are looking at. your authorities submission fees and professional fees may cost you about 50k already. add in 100k for the lift you will be left with 850k for the actual construction and renovations. so you need to talk to a builder and work out the cost accordingly.

8 hours ago, snoozee said:

is your house in a 2 storey landed zone, 3 storey landed zone or zoned with plot ratio 1.4? you can go to URA landed housing master plan to check the zone your house is located in if you're not sure.

if it is a 2 storey zone, you can't add on anything more unless you tear down and rebuilt and add a mezzanine floor in between the storeys.

if it is a 3 storey zone or plot ratio 1.4 zone, you can add 1 more storey to make it into a 3.5 storey house. but a lot depends on the existing structure and this will require a PE to read the current structural plans and advise accordingly. your roof would have to be replaced, a new RC slab would need to be cast for the new attic floor, new columns and beams for the new attic floor (and maybe new 3 storey as well depending on existing structure) as well as a new roof.

To retrofit a lift could be around the region of 100k for the lift equipment and new lift shaft. your PE would need to find a suitable location within the house to install the lift. alternatively if the house is set back more than the 7.5m, you could possibly add the lift in front of the house as well. It all depends on the existing layout.

you can add additional toilets. your architect/M&E engineer/builder would need to study the existing plans and see where the toilets can be placed to join back to existing waste pipes which would be the most cost effective. to run new waste pipes and excavate the ground floor to join pipes back to the last IC will cost you quite a bit.

I think 1M may be doable but also depends on how extensive work you are looking at. your authorities submission fees and professional fees may cost you about 50k already. add in 100k for the lift you will be left with 850k for the actual construction and renovations. so you need to talk to a builder and work out the cost accordingly.

Thanks for your kind reply.

This is a 1:4 zone, max 3 storey. Can be built up to 3 storey + mezzanine + attic. 

I was informed by the owner that he had “reserved” a spot for the lift during his last a&a but he did not install the lift due to the price tag & maintenance. 

Trying to get a rough estimate of the pricing so I can work out if it’s worth to buy that property. If I can do the designing myself, do you think I need to hire an architect/ ID / builder? Do you have any good builder to recommend as well? Appreciate it!

24 minutes ago, Youarethefatty said:

Thanks for your kind reply.

This is a 1:4 zone, max 3 storey. Can be built up to 3 storey + mezzanine + attic. 

I was informed by the owner that he had “reserved” a spot for the lift during his last a&a but he did not install the lift due to the price tag & maintenance. 

Trying to get a rough estimate of the pricing so I can work out if it’s worth to buy that property. If I can do the designing myself, do you think I need to hire an architect/ ID / builder? Do you have any good builder to recommend as well? Appreciate it!

"reserve a spot" is very subjective. if there is no prep done for a lift, means you need to spend money to hack the floor slabs and do excavation, etc. Since you mentioned it was just A&A, high chance is nothing much has been done in terms of building work to cater for a lift.

even if you can do the design layout yourself, you will still need a QP which is either a registered architect or professional engineer to do the submissions to the authorities.

for a reconstruction project, a PE can do submission instead of an architect. so you can design the layout, find a builder and have the builder's PE to submit for you. this would be the lowest cost solution. of cos you need to get a trustworthy builder to do it.

19 hours ago, snoozee said:

"reserve a spot" is very subjective. if there is no prep done for a lift, means you need to spend money to hack the floor slabs and do excavation, etc. Since you mentioned it was just A&A, high chance is nothing much has been done in terms of building work to cater for a lift.

even if you can do the design layout yourself, you will still need a QP which is either a registered architect or professional engineer to do the submissions to the authorities.

for a reconstruction project, a PE can do submission instead of an architect. so you can design the layout, find a builder and have the builder's PE to submit for you. this would be the lowest cost solution. of cos you need to get a trustworthy builder to do it.

PE QP can only submit for A&A. Recon scale has to be done by Archi QP, unless you get a waiver (fringe cases only say you barely exceed critera like 51% increase in GFA/facade change etc).

For this case, adding a full floor (2.5 to 3.5) will constitute as a Recon and Archi QP will 100% be required.

When you add floors, this essentially add dead load to the building. Which means you need to check with the Structural Engineer first if you just want a simple add-on without total demolition / reconstruction.

I doubt it'll be easy to find a Professional Engineer or Builder that will be willing to risk his Professional License given the current building code.

Also, even if you can find the best builder, waterproofing the joints of extended / added floor will never be 100%. Leakage of some form to be expected.

Lastly. Looking at your budget of 1 million or less, nothing much can be done. If you keep your existing floor, you will need to spend more than norm (extra cost to move in the machinery to install piles or foundation upgrade) to increase the foundation to take the extra building load.

All in all, I don't recommend A&A.

To all owners, please stop thinking you can just add or stack on extra floor as & when. This is not Lego. First thing will always be the foundation / piles. No point saving money if your building's foundation can't take the extra load.

When building can't take extra load, cracks (structural or non-structural) will appear. The leakage will happen.

Would you want to spend money this way to result in bad situation ranging from sinking leaking building (lightest) to total collapse of building (worst case).

I don't mean to frighten you or anyone but you have get your concept of building right!!

Edited by 3Cube
added infor

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 3Cube said:

When you add floors, this essentially add dead load to the building. Which means you need to check with the Structural Engineer first if you just want a simple add-on without total demolition / reconstruction.

I doubt it'll be easy to find a Professional Engineer or Builder that will be willing to risk his Professional License given the current building code.

Also, even if you can find the best builder, waterproofing the joints of extended / added floor will never be 100%. Leakage of some form to be expected.

Lastly. Looking at your budget of 1 million or less, nothing much can be done. If you keep your existing floor, you will need to spend more than norm (extra cost to move in the machinery to install piles or foundation upgrade) to increase the foundation to take the extra building load.

All in all, I don't recommend A&A.

To all owners, please stop thinking you can just add or stack on extra floor as & when. This is not Lego. First thing will always be the foundation / piles. No point saving money if your building's foundation can't take the extra load.

When building can't take extra load, cracks (structural or non-structural) will appear. The leakage will happen.

Would you want to spend money this way to result in bad situation ranging from sinking leaking building (lightest) to total collapse of building (worst case).

I don't mean to frighten you or anyone but you have get your concept of building right!!

Edited just now by 3Cube
added infor

Another thing not to forget the current COVID which means extra budget needed.

Edited by 3Cube
added infor

36 minutes ago, Topline said:

Hi, can i check if it is typical to waterproof underneath the car porch floor?

Waterproofing usually done on surface which will be in contact with water. If you have car porch roof terrace then waterproofing should be done on top and not below

Hi, would like to enquire about payment terms with your builders. Do you only pay on certain milestones being met? Do you have to give a downpayment to get them started and if so, what percentage?

1 hour ago, Topline said:

Hi, would like to enquire about payment terms with your builders. Do you only pay on certain milestones being met? Do you have to give a downpayment to get them started and if so, what percentage?

it all depends on the contract with your builder.
progress claims will usually be submitted by the builder on a monthly basis for payment certification by the architect and then payment disbursed by yourself or the bank (through their lawyers) if you are taking construction loan