Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
superfly21

Main incoming water pipe... need to change?

Hi, 

I am doing reno for my 2.5 storey semi-d with 6 bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

My contractor wants to charge me $8.5k to change the main incoming water pipe using stainless steel with coupling joint. The connection point starts from the meter riser compartment to the individual locations in the unit.

He says from the main pipe to individual locations is using a bigger diameter pipe. Thereafter the start from the individual bathroom will be smaller diameter pipe. He is already charging me $1,000 for the concealed hot and cold water piping inlets per toilet. 

In the first place, is it necessary to change the main incoming water piping up to the individual toilets? The house is about 20 yrs old and the existing piping is copper. 

If better to change, is the cost reasonable? 

Thanks! 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Can’t comment on the cost but since existing pipes already 20 years old, better to change them. 
Using bigger pipes to each storey before reducing to smaller pipes for final outlets will ensure better water pressure for each outlet even when multiple outlets are in use. 

My existing pipes were 25 years old. I also changed all the piping starting from the meter to the toilets/kitchen using stainless steel.

What is the total cost quoted for plumbing works?

10 hours ago, Kellhound said:

My existing pipes were 25 years old. I also changed all the piping starting from the meter to the toilets/kitchen using stainless steel.

What is the total cost quoted for plumbing works?

Hi, the cost for the internal plumbing works was initially $15k, which is for 6 baths and 1 kitchen. This is for the hot and cold water piping, installation of basins and sanitary ware, diversion of waste and floor traps to connect to IC (3 locations). 

So, including changing the main incoming water piping (as mentioned above), total will be $15k + $8.5k = $23.5k.

How much did your cost? 

11 hours ago, superfly21 said:

Hi, the cost for the internal plumbing works was initially $15k, which is for 6 baths and 1 kitchen. This is for the hot and cold water piping, installation of basins and sanitary ware, diversion of waste and floor traps to connect to IC (3 locations). 

So, including changing the main incoming water piping (as mentioned above), total will be $15k + $8.5k = $23.5k.

How much did your cost? 

Mine was around $22K all in. I also have 6 toilets and 1 kitchen.