Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Areas of dispute with neighbouring house

11 minutes ago, leechaorui said:

Yes, agree that there is line of sight of the light.  Similar to other lightings of houses next to each other where the light doesn't cast directly into each other house but there is light emitting out and one feels uncomfortable with the side light.  Not sure if this is something reasonable on line of sight of light from the side, not to mention that the lights are only switched on occasionally in the evening and there is a tree that block about 60% (my estimate) of the side light.

On the other hand, he behaves aggressively at the mention of his unlawful extension all the way to the entire setback where he could simply open the window at the back and look into my house, in addition that his roof drainage pipe can only be serviced from my premise and if it drops, it probably has no where to collapse into accept into my premises.  

basically he knows that he has no case if the illegal extensions are brought up to the authorities which could be why he is behaving aggressively and trying to divert the attentions somewhere else 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
35 minutes ago, leechaorui said:

On the other hand, he behaves aggressively at the mention of his unlawful extension all the way to the entire setback where he could simply open the window at the back and look into my house, in addition that his roof drainage pipe can only be serviced from my premise and if it drops, it probably has no where to collapse into accept into my premises.  

You have all rights to deny entry to service his roof drainage pipe.
All rectification works can be done by any contractor even in the most difficult to access location. It’s just a matter of how much the contractor will charge for the extensive preparations needed to reach the part of the house that need repair. 
Most probably the pipe will not collapse based on your description unless it’s a pitched roof instead of flat roof, then there is a gutter. Previously, gutter was allow and houses with gutter installed are really very old houses which may not fall under much set back restrictions in the olden days. 

Edited by AWS

I am ok to let my neighbours' contractors come into my house to do servicing or repair works, if needed. However, they should not design their houses such that this is imposed on me indefiniitely. I alsi let my next door semi detached neighbour come over when he erected a common wall and changed his roof. 

As this dispute with my neighbour is recent, i will let him cool down for a while first. If he continues to remain stubbon and inconsiderate, then i will be left with no choice but to lodge a complaint with BCA or URA.  As neighbours, I try to be fair to him by speaking with him first (though he unleshed a lot of anger at me) rather than making a complaint immediately.

Not sure if the authorities will compel him to comply with the setback requirement. 

3 hours ago, leechaorui said:

Even if I run a cable across the field, he can still complain that the line of sight from the side light is not bearable.  In any case, I am not switching on the lights every night.  We probably switch on the lights when there are visitors and when we are doing gardening in the evening.  

What you’re trying to do is to minimize any excuses on your side for him to fire back, then you address his extensions 

play the gentleman first ☺️😉

3 hours ago, AWS said:
Most probably the pipe will not collapse based on your description unless it’s a pitched roof instead of flat roof, then there is a gutter. Previously, gutter was allow and houses with gutter installed are really very old houses which may not fall under much set back restrictions in the olden days. 

Rain gutter ban only came into effect in October 2005. So it is not that long. Most likely the illegal extension was done with a flat roof with slight gradient and then rain water will flow into the gutter and rain water down pipe. 
If the neighbour is a 3 storey house, more likely it was built within the last 30 years or so when there would have the proper setback regulations in place already. Many very old houses in 3 storey zone were only built up to 2 storeys

1 hour ago, leechaorui said:

Not sure if the authorities will compel him to comply with the setback requirement. 

I believe authorities will compel him to comply or risk a huge fine. I read somewhere quite sometime back on the fines which could be imposed on illegal works and it is a substantial sum as it is computed based on the size of the illegal GFA.