Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
YHT

Extending the 2nd storey of terrace at loyang

Hi all, just wanted to ask about extending the 2nd storey of a terrace. Anyone knows how much it costs and how long it will take from getting approval by a certified PE till completion of the 2nd storey? It is to cover up the overlooking area of the living room as there is a high ceiling. Thanks 🙏

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I suppose you want to cover up your double volume ceiling and built a floor over the void for extra space.

do you have your existing building structural plans already? If not then you need to purchase them from BCA. from application to retrieval should be about 5 working days. After which you need to confirm which set of plans are needed and purchase them.

After that you need your PE to look through the plans and design the new structure for the new floor slab. I guess this could be a week or a month.

Once the plans from the PE are finalised, application to BCA needs to be submitted for approval. BCA will take 7 working days to approve/reject the plans.

Upon approval, your contractor can start work. No idea how long your contractor will take. With lack of manpower these days, contractors seem to rotate their manpower among sites. I observed for my neighbour's works, the workers can disappear for up to 5 days before working on the site again to do work for 2 days. So i guess if your work can be completed within 3 months, it should be counted as very lucky and fast already.

In any case, engage a PE first and he/she should be able to advise you more on the timeline and costing after looking at your existing plans.

What you want is basically increase of build-in floor area which means added structural floors, which in turn means added loading on the current foundation. High propability that upgrade / addition of foundation is a must. You people should understand extension of this nature is not like Lego where you can add or remove without thinking of overall foundation support.