Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
h4happy

Is It Too Early To Look For Contractor

Hi ALL

I just want to know whether it is too early to look for contractors ID.

I will be getting my key around Oct 07.

Got a very unpleasant encountered by one contractors telling me it is too early, give me a suck up look and walk off as if I am a begger!

I feel like I was being punch in my face by his remarks.

Please advise and thanks!

HAPPY

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

never too early, but best to get hold of a floor plan and if there is poosible if you have been down your flat bedore, try make same basic precise measurements so that you won hav unnecessary sudden upsize in your final reno works..

You are lucky that you encounter this kind of two-headed snake contactor earlier. If you had gotten your keys, I bet he will be all smiling and literally begging you to give him the project on the spot.

Such people are probably lowly commission-based sales staff and their top priority is to get as many contracts as possible NOW. Anything in the long-term does not interest them. Steer far far away from them is definitely good for you.

Hi ALL

Got a very unpleasant encountered by one contractors telling me it is too early, give me a suck up look and walk off as if I am a begger!

HAPPY

Don't be bothered by such people, there are so many other contractors/ID around.

2 months is definitely not early, we started our search 6 months ahead (hehehe, kiasu 8| ). Met a lot of IDs, some responded, most never. In the end, we found one which we are quite comfortable with so far.

Hi TYM, thanks!

I have so far talkt to about 5 id and next sunday appointment with another 2 id with quatotions.

Wow, I am getting some lead now compare to last 2 weeks as I am lost.

I want to tanglin halt to view many units too. Especially from nearby reno id.

Can you tell me what to look for for kitchen cabinet?

What to ask?

Normally they told me solid ply wood...I dont know how good is that.

Hi TYM, thanks!

I have so far talkt to about 5 id and next sunday appointment with another 2 id with quatotions.

Wow, I am getting some lead now compare to last 2 weeks as I am lost.

I want to tanglin halt to view many units too. Especially from nearby reno id.

Can you tell me what to look for for kitchen cabinet?

What to ask?

Normally they told me solid ply wood...I dont know how good is that.

must ask whether they have do abs trimming and wat type of surface u want. Normally, they r using ply wood, as long as not chipped wood then can liao. hope this helps.

must ask whether they have do abs trimming and wat type of surface u want. Normally, they r using ply wood, as long as not chipped wood then can liao. hope this helps.

Thanks.

I have already in mind of having a granite top with single bull nose and back splash.

And also solid ply wood and abs.

How to check chipped wood??

it is never too early to ask for quotations.

I did my initial asking around the same day I submitted my application for my unit. Heh heh... that is like freaking 3 months before I got my keys.

The more they are stuck up, the better for you. Cos you can immediately strike them off your shortlist! Save you a bunch of time and effort ding-donging around to get quotes with these people.

I have written a few articles in my blog to start you off for your first few quotes. There on, once you get familiar with quotations, you have a better idea of what you want, it becomes easier to understand them.

Try my blog to get you going. It is in my signature!

Thanks.

I have already in mind of having a granite top with single bull nose and back splash.

Me also start to look for ID/contractor abt 5mths earlier, try to get more comparison and freedback from the forumers thru their experiences. Most impt don rush into it, b4 u sign any contract and don get blinded by the freebies offer (cos there isnt any). :~

Granite Top heard from India would be even better. :help:

Happy sourcing for ID. :dunno:

Thanks.

check the cross section of the wood.

Knock on the board and hear if it is hollow or not.

Ikea has a great display of all the different kind of wood they use. Mostly chipped wood. So you can go there to see and learn to identify the chip wood by looking at their display. They even cross section it for you to see. :~

Me also start to look for ID/contractor abt 5mths earlier, try to get more comparison and freedback from the forumers thru their experiences. Most impt don rush into it, b4 u sign any contract and don get blinded by the freebies offer (cos there isnt any). :~

Granite Top heard from India would be even better. :help:

Happy sourcing for ID. :dunno:

heh heh... you are right about India granite.

It also depends on what color granite you are seeking as well.

India granite are darker in tones.

China granite are lighter.

I got a write up in my blog that may be useful.

read more on the contractors'/IDs' reputation in this forum.

any clown that ask you to pay them XXX dollars so that they can draw something to show you - just say BYE BYE to them...no point wasting your time.

read more on the contractors'/IDs' reputation in this forum.

any clown that ask you to pay them XXX dollars so that they can draw something to show you - just say BYE BYE to them...no point wasting your time.

Hi MaCe

I cannot find the contractos/ids reputation in this forum.

HAPPY

Hi ALL

HAPPY

Last saturday went to see the showflat at the our new blocks, and what a small world, that is him!

And when he saw me and my sis and wife, he told us: Just come to see see hor!

What a remarks!:P

And my good, the worksmanship is no good (granite tiles layout).

I can give 3/10 rating.

And I even managed to get the name of the company!

Yesterday heard another story from my neighhours that this contractors wanted to bring my niehgbours (a group) to tanglin halt to view showflats.

He told them they wont do if my neighbours only want to do floor and kitchen cabinets.

He also told them after veiw, and draw uot and quotation, they must sign with him!

All my neigbhours black out and all did not go with him.

See....the colours all come out from this company.

How can the comtractors comments like that?

Very bad!:P

No harm getting a quotation all over. In the end, it benefits you most.

What I learn from my reno is "Good Things May Not Be Chaep And Cheap Things May Not Be Good.' So my advice is, to be safe, get an established contractor and pay a bit more cos in the end your house is a nest you will be living in for a long time. Not like me, try to get a cheap quotation, in the end the workmanship & services REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

Good Luck

You're currently in contractors/ids reputation forum.

Edited by matlucio