Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tingshen

Laminate Skirting Warped After Flooring Washing/cleaning.....

After general cleaning and flooring washing, bad things happened. As we are using laminate skirting for whole house, we are facing this skirting warp problems.....

almost all the corners of the skirting in the living/dining/foyer area (which have tiles flooring) warped. some part of the laminate itself also warp, it's quite obvious that the skirting actually kena water seep in liao.....

now the problem is, I dunno if the washing guy (managed by my ID/designer) did any skirting protection before cleaning. According to them, they never encounter such thing. They claimed that PowerDekor has low grade laminate skirting.....

On the other hand, PowerDekor (managed by my closet designer) claimed that the washing guy never protect the skirting before their washing work......

now I kena stuck in between. The total cost of these skirting is $290. I would say 25% of these are affected/warped. so i guess the cost of replacing these warped skirting is $72.50.

If both parties can't resolve anything, do you think I can demand them to bare the cost 50/50? which is not so significant.....

anybody encountered similar thing? do you think it's the skirting problem or the washing guy problem? I am thinking of changing the skirting to a better quality/brand one.....think PowerDekor's skirting really got some quality issue, although their AC3 laminate seems better than Supreme.....

sianz ah......help help help!:bangwall:!8| Meeting my ID later 8am.....b4 rushing for work.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
After general cleaning and flooring washing, bad things happened. As we are using laminate skirting for whole house, we are facing this skirting warp problems.....

almost all the corners of the skirting in the living/dining/foyer area (which have tiles flooring) warped. some part of the laminate itself also warp, it's quite obvious that the skirting actually kena water seep in liao.....

now the problem is, I dunno if the washing guy (managed by my ID/designer) did any skirting protection before cleaning. According to them, they never encounter such thing. They claimed that PowerDekor has low grade laminate skirting.....

On the other hand, PowerDekor (managed by my closet designer) claimed that the washing guy never protect the skirting before their washing work......

now I kena stuck in between. The total cost of these skirting is $290. I would say 25% of these are affected/warped. so i guess the cost of replacing these warped skirting is $72.50.

If both parties can't resolve anything, do you think I can demand them to bare the cost 50/50? which is not so significant.....

anybody encountered similar thing? do you think it's the skirting problem or the washing guy problem? I am thinking of changing the skirting to a better quality/brand one.....think PowerDekor's skirting really got some quality issue, although their AC3 laminate seems better than Supreme.....

sianz ah......help help help!:bangwall:!8| Meeting my ID later 8am.....b4 rushing for work.

Laminate floor is made of high density MDF board with laminate press finishes. The property for MDF board is if you soak the board in water for short while, you will be "compensated with double the size." Indeed even if you have rectify the problem now, you need to take extreme care before water soak into the flooring. Since the flooring is done, you can't do much but to neg with both supplier and ID. I think the problem is more on ID side which I believe they have been using plenty of water to do cleaning which is not suppose to for laminate flooring.

bullet, you didn't get it right. It is the skirting that's warp, the flooring is fine....

laminate skirting and laminate flooring are of 2 different range of products and 2 different materials...although similar. They can be MDF, or HDF.

Edited by tingshen

Laminate floor is made of high density MDF board with laminate press finishes. The property for MDF board is if you soak the board in water for short while, you will be "compensated with double the size." Indeed even if you have rectify the problem now, you need to take extreme care before water soak into the flooring. Since the flooring is done, you can't do much but to neg with both supplier and ID. I think the problem is more on ID side which I believe they have been using plenty of water to do cleaning which is not suppose to for laminate flooring.

i'm puzzled... MDF is already "medium density fibreboard", so "high density MDF" means high density medium density fibreboard"?? doesn't make sense leh.... :notti:

Shouldn't it be covered under some warranty?

Mine was from Supreme, they claimed that there will be lifetime warranty for their products. During carpentry period (before I moved in), I found an obvious scratch on the laminate, I called them up and they came down to change that piece.

Shouldn't it be covered under some warranty?

Mine was from Supreme, they claimed that there will be lifetime warranty for their products. During carpentry period (before I moved in), I found an obvious scratch on the laminate, I called them up and they came down to change that piece.

it is a limited warranty......... doesn't cover damage due to water

it is a limited warranty......... doesn't cover damage due to water

Since the damaged is done by the people doing the general washing, the ID will have to be responsible for the replacement for free. There's no reason why the owners should pay for that when they haven't even move in yet. The ID should be experienced enough to know such things might happen... not the house owners.

i'm just curious, for those washer, do they actually do some form of protection to cover the laminate skirting?

Now 1 party claimed that the washer did not cover the skirting. Then the ID side said they never need to protect the skirting, other brands all no problem during the washing.

So who is right and who is wrong?

i'm just curious, for those washer, do they actually do some form of protection to cover the laminate skirting?

Now 1 party claimed that the washer did not cover the skirting. Then the ID side said they never need to protect the skirting, other brands all no problem during the washing.

At the first place, it is a wrong combination between laminate skirting and tile flooring.... say you can settle this problem now then how abt cleaning in the future?

The correct sequence of work is ID has to finish acid washing/major cleaning before the laminate ppl install the skirting. Who is doing the coordination?

When the worker acid-wash the floor defenitely they need a lot of water and for sure it is very wet.. How to protect the skirting water-tight?

The coordination is wrong so you got to find who is doing the coordination... ;)

to me the fault lies squarely on the ID's shoulders

they never need to protect the skirting doesn't mean they shouldn't

now that they've learnt the lesson by damaging your skirting, shouldn't them be paying for the lesson?

i've never heard of washing laminates loh, your ID is trying to pull a fast one ;) !!

to me the fault lies squarely on the ID's shoulders

they never need to protect the skirting doesn't mean they shouldn't

now that they've learnt the lesson by damaging your skirting, shouldn't them be paying for the lesson?

i've never heard of washing laminates loh, your ID is trying to pull a fast one :fire: :fire:

Haha, I think TS meant homo tiles for flooring with wood skirting.

So when they do chemical wash for the tiles, the skirting absorbed all the water/chemical as well.

I was thinking of that combination for my living room before, but my ID advised against it.

now ID and powerdekor guy are meeting at my new place, seems okay, think they will resolve among themselves. I dun care already, as long as everything back to sui sui, dun need me to pay, i'm fine. :fire:

Haha, I think TS meant homo tiles for flooring with wood skirting.

So when they do chemical wash for the tiles, the skirting absorbed all the water/chemical as well.

I was thinking of that combination for my living room before, but my ID advised against it.

hehehe, i know coz i was thinking of doing the same thing

but how do you wash floor tiles without washing the skirting???

the only way is to protect the skirting loh

ID didn't do so IMHO it's the ID's fault :deal:

did u get the laminate flooring thru ur ID?

if yes, get him to replace the damage.

if he cant do dat, wats the purpose of hiring an id whose role is to ensure the reno in ur place is all under control,