Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
babyQ

Homogeneous Tiles In Ceramic Tiles Packaging?

Hi Everyone,

1180089151_bca2f6b0c3_m.jpg

Tile selected at SBH IMM

the code says HT: B305

Salesman told me HT stands for Homogeneous Tiles

1180089151_bca2f6b0c3_m.jpg

Close up: HT-B305

1180089703_e89a6fc7ec_m.jpg

1180090147_bc18b7fe15_m.jpg

Tiles delivered

the box packaging says: Ceramic Tiles

Side of the box is B305

Called SBH, they say it's Homogeneous. I asked how come the packaging says Ceramic. Staff who answered my call says they don't have Ceramic Tiles for the tile code.

Anyone can advice? I really have no idea how to tell whether I've been given Ceramic or Homo Tiles. And if I've paid for Homo Tiles only to be given Ceramic.

So confusing!! :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks in advance!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You have to open them up and see?

I think homo tiles have sharp edges, while the top edge of ceramic tiles are rounded?

Ceramic is white. If this is a ceramic tile and the surface is black, then it must be just a coating on top and the bottom should still be white.

But the whole tile is black, then its probably a homo. There is no black ceramic tiles.

Homogeneous simply means.. the surface and the backing is all the same material.

The layman definition of Ceramic is surface one material, backing another, usually red clay. This type is relatively weaker.

I have yet to come across a tile which offer ceramic or homogenous option. So if the pattern is the same as what u chose, then dun need to lose sleep over it.

Homogeneous simply means.. the surface and the backing is all the same material.

The layman definition of Ceramic is surface one material, backing another, usually red clay. This type is relatively weaker.

I have yet to come across a tile which offer ceramic or homogenous option. So if the pattern is the same as what u chose, then dun need to lose sleep over it.

1182083185_0047d488ac_m.jpg

front

1182941384_9545be2743_m.jpg

back

thanks! after reading your explanation, it's confirmed what i have here is not a piece of homo tile (since surface and backing is not the same material). hmmm.. how come SBH market is as homo :sport-smiley-004:

You have to open them up and see?

I think homo tiles have sharp edges, while the top edge of ceramic tiles are rounded?

thanks Lawry, i checked, it has sharp edges! but still don't think it's homo after reading the next two forummers' answers! sorry, i am very new to all these reno terms and a bit slow... :sport-smiley-004:

Homo tiles IS ceramic tiles, except that the colour is homo throughout lor, that's why call homo mah...

ahhh... u make me more confused now! !!

never mind, as yoongf said, i shouldn't lose zzz over this since they are giving me what i chose after all. thanks everyone!

Homo tiles IS ceramic tiles, except that the colour is homo throughout lor, that's why call homo mah...

the sales pple at hafari explained to me that homogeneous tile is porcelain tiles and is different from ceramic tile... porcelain tiles are fired at a much higher temperature (think 800-1000 deg celcius) than ceramic tiles (abt 400-500 deg celcius) and hence, porcelain tiles are much tougher than ceramic tiles....

as explained by other forumers, homogeneous tiles are full-bodied meaning the patterns and colors are throughout the entire body... thus if a homo tile is chipped, it will not be obvious since the underlying layer has the same pattern and color as the surface.... however, if ceramic tiles are chipped, it is v obvious becos the underylying layer has a different color (usually red) from the surface...

there is another type of homogeneous with texture e.g. wood grains... for these tiles, the patterns are only on the surface, but the color is full-bodied...

the sales pple at hafari explained to me that homogeneous tile is porcelain tiles and is different from ceramic tile... porcelain tiles are fired at a much higher temperature (think 800-1000 deg celcius) than ceramic tiles (abt 400-500 deg celcius) and hence, porcelain tiles are much tougher than ceramic tiles....

as explained by other forumers, homogeneous tiles are full-bodied meaning the patterns and colors are throughout the entire body... thus if a homo tile is chipped, it will not be obvious since the underlying layer has the same pattern and color as the surface.... however, if ceramic tiles are chipped, it is v obvious becos the underylying layer has a different color (usually red) from the surface...

there is another type of homogeneous with texture e.g. wood grains... for these tiles, the patterns are only on the surface, but the color is full-bodied...

thanks for sharing redbottle!

i just want to update on this TILE situation of mine. i went back to S*H to buy another 10 pieces of the tile today coz the old kitchen floor tiles had to be hacked to replace the sliding door. rather than find a colour to match (quite impossible since the tiles are 13 years old) i decided to go with the same colour of the tiles i had bought earlier on for contrast as it is also used for my foyer area.

this comes the FUN part.

guess what was given to me at the store today....

10 pieces of the REAL HOMOGENEOUS B305 tile this time!

how do i know??

thanks to RENOTALK.COM! after everyone's input, i know now what homo tile looks like and how the backing/colour etc should be like.

the tiles are in my carboot, i didn't bring down so can't take pix. but trust me, it is the real McCoy and not the ceramic tiles delivered to me which my con said "all the same one".

i want to ask a question now... who has cheated here. my contractor or S*H?

i paid for HOMO tiles. i was given CERAMIC tiles.

the con had tried to stop me from going down to buy the 10 pieces of tiles myself, he said S*H can deliver FOC. but i wanted to return 12 sheets of mosaic (dunno why they ordered so much, 1 box has 13 sheets, i keep spares, still have 12 sheets!) but i said it's ok, coz on the way coz i have to go to IMM.

now i see the picture so CLEAR!

there are a few assumptions here but if indeed what we are assuming is true (cheating) what are my rights as a homeowner and customer?

i already know they are getting 30% discount (which S*H refuses to give homeowners who buy direct) and though it was verbally agreed that he will give me the discounted rate when he bills me, i am not even sure i still want to pay him.

i mean i paid for homo tiles but what was delivered was ceramic. but what i pick up today is the REAL homo tiles!

do i make sense??? can anyone :D please?

To be very strict, there are 3 kind of tiles commonly see in the market. Redbottle is right that most claimed "homogeneous" tiles nowadays are made from porcelain material call "bai gao ni" which need higher temperature to burn the tiles. Whereas, to add on to redbottles point, ceramic tiles are made of clay (material used to make clay pot) The true homogeneous tiles are still made from "bai gao ni" but were mixed with colours and other compound which the content is really homogeneous throughout. However, the design is really "homogeneous" (only spot of different colour or tone). You will never have fancy design like marble-like, plain etc. Since the usually homogeneous tiles esp 600 X 600 nowadays are made of "bai gao ni", except that they are printed with different design, it should still be consider homogeneous tile.

Just for further info, you should also note that there are also few kind of finishes on homogeneous tiles. One is super bright which is very shining on surface, another is polish gross finishes which glazing is applied on tiles which make tiles very lasting, some gross finish maybe just hard wax finishes which may wear off after some time, semi gross is partly gross and partly mat but very rare in market, and the mat one. Cost differ according to finishes

To be very strict, there are 3 kind of tiles commonly see in the market. Redbottle is right that most claimed "homogeneous" tiles nowadays are made from porcelain material call "bai gao ni" which need higher temperature to burn the tiles. Whereas, to add on to redbottles point, ceramic tiles are made of clay (material used to make clay pot) The true homogeneous tiles are still made from "bai gao ni" but were mixed with colours and other compound which the content is really homogeneous throughout. However, the design is really "homogeneous" (only spot of different colour or tone). You will never have fancy design like marble-like, plain etc. Since the usually homogeneous tiles esp 600 X 600 nowadays are made of "bai gao ni", except that they are printed with different design, it should still be consider homogeneous tile.

Just for further info, you should also note that there are also few kind of finishes on homogeneous tiles. One is super bright which is very shining on surface, another is polish gross finishes which glazing is applied on tiles which make tiles very lasting, some gross finish maybe just hard wax finishes which may wear off after some time, semi gross is partly gross and partly mat but very rare in market, and the mat one. Cost differ according to finishes

hi bullet, you sure know your tiles very well!:) thanks for sharing! i will take pix of the tiles sitting in my boot tomorrow morning to show side by side comparison.

hi bullet, you sure know your tiles very well!:) thanks for sharing! i will take pix of the tiles sitting in my boot tomorrow morning to show side by side comparison.

Thanks for compliment, but I know only pi-mao. Just saw the process in China during a business visit

Thanks for compliment, but I know only pi-mao. Just saw the process in China during a business visit

Hi, hope someone can help me... I found some of my homogenous tiles are chipped.. Like the worker dropped something n there is a small hole... But my tiles are dark brown/black colour ... and the chipped area is white...

I thought that homogenous should still be the same colour when chipped?

Also I checked with one of my friend who used to be an ID, he told me that for dark coloured homogenous tiles, they are only made in Italy and not in China.. But my tiles were made in China

Anyone can help on this? :sport-smiley-004:

Hi, hope someone can help me... I found some of my homogenous tiles are chipped.. Like the worker dropped something n there is a small hole... But my tiles are dark brown/black colour ... and the chipped area is white...

I thought that homogenous should still be the same colour when chipped?

Also I checked with one of my friend who used to be an ID, he told me that for dark coloured homogenous tiles, they are only made in Italy and not in China.. But my tiles were made in China

Anyone can help on this? :sport-smiley-004:

Colour of hmogeneous tiles has nothing to do with the country of manufacturing; indeed many european manufacturers have shifted their production to asian country like china, taiwan, thailand, vetnam, indonesian etc. Pardon my ignorance to what your ID had commented that "dark coloured homogeneous tiles are only made in Italy." So far I do not see any homogeneous tiles that are dark colour and homogeneous throughout other than those old type. The new design of homogeneous tiles are still using "Bai Gao Ni" and only printed with dark colour on the surface.

If you chip tiles found during the renovation period, you should ask the contractor to replace it that's all; not difficult with some skills and right tools. If chip is not your contractor's liability, then it depend very much on how deep is the chip. If it is not deep, just use some close colour pigment to paint over so that it is not obvious, if it is deep, then you can use some white cement to mix with colour grout to match the colour and apply. Swallow chip cannot use this method as the grout will come out easily.

Colour of hmogeneous tiles has nothing to do with the country of manufacturing; indeed many european manufacturers have shifted their production to asian country like china, taiwan, thailand, vetnam, indonesian etc. Pardon my ignorance to what your ID had commented that "dark coloured homogeneous tiles are only made in Italy." So far I do not see any homogeneous tiles that are dark colour and homogeneous throughout other than those old type. The new design of homogeneous tiles are still using "Bai Gao Ni" and only printed with dark colour on the surface.

If you chip tiles found during the renovation period, you should ask the contractor to replace it that's all; not difficult with some skills and right tools. If chip is not your contractor's liability, then it depend very much on how deep is the chip. If it is not deep, just use some close colour pigment to paint over so that it is not obvious, if it is deep, then you can use some white cement to mix with colour grout to match the colour and apply. Swallow chip cannot use this method as the grout will come out easily.

Hi bullet, thanks for your reply.. However still not too sure about what you meant by "The new design of homogeneous tiles are still using "Bai Gao Ni" and only printed with dark colour on the surface."

I thought homogenous means the tile is same colour throughout. It may not be exactly the same pattern as the surface but should still be same colour right? If not, then why would I pay for homogenous if its going to turn out like ceramic tiles? :P

Hi bullet, thanks for your reply.. However still not too sure about what you meant by "The new design of homogeneous tiles are still using "Bai Gao Ni" and only printed with dark colour on the surface."

I thought homogenous means the tile is same colour throughout. It may not be exactly the same pattern as the surface but should still be same colour right? If not, then why would I pay for homogenous if its going to turn out like ceramic tiles? :P

Homogeneous tiles is originally manufactured using "Bai Gao Ni" and mixed with colour pigment into paste form like flour. Other material can be added to it like pebbles extra. Like Making cookies using chololates chips. Then the paste is spreaded over a formwork and send for ovening at high temperature of 800 to 1000 degree. However, this process doess allow manufacturer to produce much design, that's why you will see the older version homogeneous tiles really homogeneous throughout but design wise very limited, either plain or spotted.

The new design homogeneous tiles, still using Bai Gao Ni but this time they did not mix the colour pigment to make it homogeneous (maybe to save cost). The paste will be spreaded on formwork to make tiles and oven till semi hardon before printing of designing on the tiles. That's why what you see is only nice coloured design surface and the content is still white.

Maybe we should not view the homogeneous tiles as fully homogeneous nowadays. Perhap just a name to determine that the tile is made of bai gao ni. The only difference between homogeneous tiles and ceramic tiles is homogeneous tiles are much higher density than ceramic due to the difference in material they used. So don't expect the tiles to be homogeneous; its just a name to determine the material they used. Cost of homogeneous tiles indeed had came down by alot since years ago. Some cheaper one can even cost much lesser than the ceramic tiles. Another difference between homogeneous tiles and ceramic tiles is at the edge of tiles; ceramic tiles is quarter rounded at edge and homogeneous tiles are either 90 degree or 45 degree chamferred. This make the tile joint much smaller than the ceramic tiles and the grouting can be as flush to the level but not the ceramic tiles which the grouting always sunken in and trap dirts.

Edited by bullet