Renovator: Renovation Budget:

Photo

How To Get Rid Of Those Flying Insects Which Are Attracted To Light?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 xaleysan

xaleysan

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi,

whenever I on the lights at my new place at night, these flying insects which are attracted by light will come. There will be as much as 10-20 in my room. When I switch on all the lights in the living room, it's worse. After some time, like an hour or so, they stop flying and all stick on the walls or crawl on the floor.

Anyone encounter the same? How do I prevent them from coming? It's rather irritating. I don't see the same thing happening at all the places I have lived before. dunno.gif

#2 Dracula

Dracula

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (xaleysan @ May 11 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

whenever I on the lights at my new place at night, these flying insects which are attracted by light will come. There will be as much as 10-20 in my room. When I switch on all the lights in the living room, it's worse. After some time, like an hour or so, they stop flying and all stick on the walls or crawl on the floor.

Anyone encounter the same? How do I prevent them from coming? It's rather irritating. I don't see the same thing happening at all the places I have lived before. dunno.gif

To prevent i have no idea, but to get them out of the house what we normally do is switch off all the lights in the house and open your main door wide so that they will be attracted to the corridors light. You might have to leave it open for an hour. Another way is to put a pool of water directly below the lights so that they will start to swim in them.

Hope this helps.

notti.gif

#3 zirhk3355

zirhk3355

• RenoTalk Forum Moderators
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Think you can get those insect-catcher light from those DIY stores, where it attaches the insects with the purple light and electrocute them.

Otherwise the pail of water under the lights will work fine; the insects will fly towards the other 'light' in the water reflection and get drowned in there...

#4 xaleysan

xaleysan

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

I put a pail of water the other day, it took quite some time...and the flies did not "aim properly" and ended on the floor instead of in the water. And I do not want to put a pail of water in the middle of the room everyday. Perhaps I'll try the insect catcher.

Thanks! notti.gif

#5 donut88

donut88

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (xaleysan @ May 11 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

the old traditional way is to hang chillis on the light cover.

take chilli, sliced it opened and hang it up on the light cover.......it works!!!

#6 latitude

latitude

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

did u try Baygon Vaporisor (the one which plug in to electricity)? I use this mainly for mozzies. but somehow, other insects also stopped flying in.

other alternative: how about installing insect screen?

i received a flyer in my letterbox the other day on this product but have not used it.

Edited by latitude, 13 May 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#7 xaleysan

xaleysan

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

hang chillis? This is interesting, the first time I heard of it, but can try, hehe.

I use the Baygon thingy for mosquitos in the past too, worked very well. Ok, will try it out too.

Thanks! good.gif

#8 MaCe

MaCe

Titanium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (latitude @ May 13 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i received a flyer in my letterbox the other day on this product but have not used it.

have checked with a few companies - cheapest is $9 per sqft.

end up DIY only my kitchen windows for less than $100

#9 ahjane

ahjane

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (MaCe @ May 15 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have checked with a few companies - cheapest is $9 per sqft.

end up DIY only my kitchen windows for less than $100

Mr Mace...cant find your t-blog...wanna ask u...how to use the 3M stainless steel cleaner??? sorry to tag onto this page..cos i cant locate u..hehe..thanks thanks

#10 MaCe

MaCe

Titanium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (ahjane @ May 15 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mr Mace...cant find your t-blog...wanna ask u...how to use the 3M stainless steel cleaner??? sorry to tag onto this page..cos i cant locate u..hehe..thanks thanks

huh? just SPRAY like baygon laugh.gif it will leave a protective layer on the metal and not so easy to trap dirt/stain - future cleaning becomes easy.

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog in reno t-blog

#11 ahjane

ahjane

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

[quote name='MaCe' date='May 15 2008, 11:00 AM' post='295718']
huh? just SPRAY like baygon laugh.gif it will leave a protective layer on the metal and not so easy to trap dirt/stain - future cleaning becomes easy.

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog in reno t-blog
[/quote

i spray and white foam come out of the 3M cleaner...the instruction is i am to wipe it off till dry....which i did...
water stain still appear the next few days....

or should i spray and leave it there to disappear on its own? or use water to wash to residue away???

#12 feb

feb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

maybe you can switch on the dim light or orange light instead of white light in the house, think it works.

Edited by feb, 16 May 2008 - 03:47 AM.

#13 acider

acider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

1 min is all it took-quickest way I used......

Vaccum all of them in 1 swoop!!

It really comes in handy when u have a vaccum!!!

#14 Diavonex

Diavonex

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Get an Insect Killer. Uses UV lamp to attract and electrocut insects.

Edited by Diavonex, 07 January 2009 - 01:28 PM.

#15 porkypig

porkypig

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

actually the cheapest and hassle way is to fill a basin with water..don't have to be to be filled to the bream..
hold it near the light, a few CM away will do..they will kamikaze into the water.
sad to say you have to do it when they come again..
Proven....

#16 awning_guy

awning_guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

I'm intrigued on the "chili thingy".. I might try it one time..

#17 judithtoh

judithtoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi I encounter the same problem. Worst off those fly in n stick to the ceiling, some dont even have wings. By the way u manage to get rid?

#18 graygay

graygay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I also have this problem in the past, I also use the water method, but have to place it super near the light so they will fly directly to the water...
To a extent I actually use pesticides then after that sweep the floor.

I keep wanting to install the insects screen, anyone know how much it cost to do the whole house, 4 room flat?

Felt will be costly so use the cheaper methods.

The UV ight one, not very effective one, I buy one before.. disappointed...

#19 heavy

heavy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I also have this problem in the past, I also use the water method, but have to place it super near the light so they will fly directly to the water...
To a extent I actually use pesticides then after that sweep the floor.

I keep wanting to install the insects screen, anyone know how much it cost to do the whole house, 4 room flat?

Felt will be costly so use the cheaper methods.

The UV ight one, not very effective one, I buy one before.. disappointed...

I bought DIY insect screen from Taobao (about $3 for a 2 panel window size, see the link in other thread). Quite easy to make. Quality wise acceptable but i guess those sold from shopes here should be better.

If the flies come from your balcony, mosquito mesh may not be suitable. What i observed is before it rains, they will flock into my house. I will normally switch off all lights inside the house leaving only the balcony lightings. In less than 10min, they will be attracted there, then to close the balcony door and i will switch off the light outside, they will somehow move to other place.

#20 pinktexaz

pinktexaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

There are some cheap insect netting from the diy stores, it uses Velcro at the edges and can be stuck to any window area.

#21 snower

snower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Please check your house throughly. We had this problem before. In the end we found out that these are related to termites. Our bedroom and bathroom are infested by termites. We get the pest control to get rid of it. They told us the light flies are related to the termites. And true enough, after that there's no more flies anymore. What a relief!  :sport-smiley-018:

#22 guojiawen

guojiawen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

There are some cheap insect netting from the diy stores, it uses Velcro at the edges and can be stuck to any window area.

Hi there, just to check, if we have insect screens + window grills + curtain, will it look very bulky at the window area?

#23 dean

dean

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

buy mosquite fibre mesh net (the one with tiny tiny hole) black or grey color $17++ 5x4", den buy Daiso magnet tape double adhesive tape (10mm x 3metre long) $2 each, 10mm x 5metre super strong double adhesive tape $1.50, apply at your room window, kitchen window, toilet window, door gate won't have fly insect coming your house. mosquite fibre mesh net can also wash.

those Velcro one lousy material $3.50++ won't last long.

i keen to get Insect screen with PVC tube installed on outside (corridor) from http://www.magnetici...CFacF4god-QMA3w

#24 shararath2005

shararath2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Get some lizards, and keep them in your room, if you don't have any problem with that ;D

Renovator: Renovation Budget: