Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

So! We are finally, officially homeowners!!!:yeah: I'm over the moon!

Got the keys today and was surprised at how quick the whole process was. Just 10 mins in the office. Didn't even need to sign anything.

5B6CAB49-C8C6-4FB2-B2CC-E76D6D5A9AEC_zps

Unfortunately, we won't be able to start work right away. I suspect we confirmed our ID a little late and its only now that she's rendering 3D for us. Some ppl do hacking simultaneously but she's going on holiday soon and I'm waiting for the 3D to make a few decisions on hacking. (We are planning to tear down a wall to create a special feature but I noticed an irritating beam that might spoil the look. So if it looks weird in the 3D, i'll scrap the idea.) So as a result, work might only start at the end of this month.

Ah well, better to delay things a bit and get it right than to rush it and screw up. :bleah:

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

In the meantime, a couple of things we found that we like!

1. Handford Sofa and ottoman for living room. Currently finding out if it can be customed to be about 210cm long to fit more people. The original shop say max 195cm. Another custom place say max 200cm cos of HDB lift. I have one more source to try!

handfordsofa_zps7278c0f6.jpg

2. Y table. Will most likely be getting second charm to replicate this. Wood for DIY table top simply too expensive.

Ytable_zps2ef0f68f.jpg

3. Electrolux vacuum. Love that its main body detaches into a handheld vacuum and its cordless. Nice colours and bagless too. Just not quite sure about suction power at 18W....Anyone has a review on this?

DA5C1BD3-D643-4E64-B2BF-8E0548E41808_zps

In the meantime, a couple of things we found that we like!

1. Handford Sofa and ottoman for living room. Currently finding out if it can be customed to be about 210cm long to fit more people. The original shop say max 195cm. Another custom place say max 200cm cos of HDB lift. I have one more source to try!

handfordsofa_zps7278c0f6.jpg

2. Y table. Will most likely be getting second charm to replicate this. Wood for DIY table top simply too expensive.

Ytable_zps2ef0f68f.jpg

3. Electrolux vacuum. Love that its main body detaches into a handheld vacuum and its cordless. Nice colours and bagless too. Just not quite sure about suction power at 18W....Anyone has a review on this?

DA5C1BD3-D643-4E64-B2BF-8E0548E41808_zps

one step at a time and i am sure we will be able to get everything going ! will ask megadiscount about the vaccum cleaner too! all delivery at once, easier .

currently ID is on holiday so things are at a standstill. Renovation Limbo.

Thats why I haven't been posting also. But I have been TBing. Sadly still clueless as to how to actually purchase the products but I'm window shopping a lot. lol. Waiting for ID to come back, show us the 3D and then we can know the look and start purchasing!

Chairs we like.

nordicfabric_zpsc5de585e.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.k7RiT9&id=38602998184&ns=1#detail

tolix_zps7dd9e14e.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.5Q0H7R&id=19703567653&ns=1#detail (Will take the black metal version and might have to stain the wood darker)

revoltchair_zpsf177a015.jpg

Revolt chair from Lush. Reminds me a bit of school.

Edited by Dwinsplace

if those 3 chairs dont match then maybe

Japchair_zps3084166c.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.kwi9nB&id=39170923432&ns=1#detail but also will have to stain wood darker.

Oh oh! and I REALLLY LOVE

clothesrack_zps9176a53f.jpg

Clothes rack from TB... wonder if i have the space though...

Still on the hunt for a tv console.

Man i really can't wait for the 3D so we can start making some purchases! Itchy... heh

As for ceiling fans, we are most likely going for fanco FFM4000 for the rooms and FFM6000 for the hall.

Sleek and simple. Fanco seems to have ok reviews also. And who knew it would be so tough to find black coloured fans??!

Our other consideration is the relite petite fans that a lot of ppl have. Similar to the KDK in terms of looks. Made in india even though the brand is originally from UK. Price about $50 more per fan though and warranty on motor only for 1 year.

Fanco is carried in a lot of shops but relite only has that one speciality store. And yet it's still so popular. There must be something to it right?

Wish i could test the models but the showrooms for these 2 brands are very far away so I guess I'll have to go on faith. And more likely than not, cost.

Been ages since I've posted. Things have been on standby as mentioned before and so the mrs and I were taking a break from the whole process too and went on a few nice dates while the ID was away on her own holiday.

Now she's back and we've received the first round of 3D images! I was really quite impressed with the direction she has taken but the finishes still need a lot of tweaking.

Through the first round, I also got to know a little bit more about the wife's aesthetics. And for those who are doing reno, i think you will agree that this is the toughest part - to finding out what your partner wants and how to combine the two looks into something you both love.

To be honest, we're still feeling our way around but I'm confident that we will get there. And after an extensive meeting, our ID sounds like she's pretty sure where to take the look too! So we can't wait till our second round of 3Ds!

In the meantime, I would like to share with you a bit of what she's shown us. ;)

LD14-0611-35-A004_zps66730ba5.jpg

We're asking for a greyish tone brick wall for comparison.

LD14-0611-35-A005_zpsee675115.jpg

wife is really against the laminates for the shoe cabinet area so that will be changed shortly! Oh and the hollow block wall behind the couch is supposed to be painted in grey.

LD14-0611-35-A006_zps90925b1e.jpg

Kitchen. Love the black w wood and stainless steel!

• Like 1

And for the piece de resistance!

LD14-0611-35-A001_zps1c630940.jpg

This is my study room!!! LOOOOOVE the use of steel for the walls and door! The area around the beam needs to be cleaned up a bit for the lines to flow properly but I'll be taking that up with her shortly. I would never have come up with this idea and I really LOVE it. :wub:

Tomorrow will be a meeting with the electrician to see how crazy i can get with my power points. And how much it will hurt my pocket.

Then hacking starts the day after!!! it's beginning!

• Like 1

This is my study room!!! LOOOOOVE the use of steel for the walls and door! The area around the beam needs to be cleaned up a bit for the lines to flow properly but I'll be taking that up with her shortly. I would never have come up with this idea and I really LOVE it. :wub:

Tomorrow will be a meeting with the electrician to see how crazy i can get with my power points. And how much it will hurt my pocket.

woah! the steel walls and door like from the iron age period, reminds me of game of throne

Welcome officially to the club :notti:

Are you gg to get that cool looking steel door design ?

woah! the steel walls and door like from the iron age period, reminds me of game of throne

Welcome officially to the club :notti:

Are you gg to get that cool looking steel door design ?

Haha game of thrones? Awesome! My wife and I both love the series. We have always joked about me wanting to live in a batcave or a dungeon so it looks like it's going to happen!

It is currently my most loved feature in the house and I really hope it works out in execution. Crossing my fingers that there won't be any technical issues.

• Like 1

Second day of hacking is done! I popped by on the very first day and it was super exciting to see the walls come down. You get this rush of "it's finally happening!" and just a sense that you're gng to change the place drastically.

This is a before picture of the house.

8D65B264-5717-4B07-B588-F16CDAB81ACB_zps

This is what the kitchen looks like now. :thumbs up:

2B8B61F8-3D90-4074-8DAF-5AD88192D22E_zps

And the study wall has also come down. (future steel clad wall)

4F7FFCD7-B9E4-46B6-8EB1-CB5729A053E9_zps

Unfortunately, we have had our first hiccup in the project. We confirmed with the hacking that the actual columns in kitchen and living are actually considerably larger than on plan, and this affects the shoe cabinet and placement of couch/ tv/ feature wall. :curse:

How can HDB issue these TECHNICAL plans, that are WRONG?! I mean, if it really screws up the planning and design, shouldn't we be able to get some kind of compensation from them?? They BUILT the place! How can they not know the plans?!

Anyway, the designer seems totally unfazed by all this and she just said that she will rework the affected areas and propose a new design for us. So... hope for the best! But still cheesed at HDB. :bleah: