8 Effective Home Workouts To Burn Off That CNY Bulge FASTLiving & Lifestyle
5 minutes read
As much as we love stuffing our faces with bak kwa, pineapple tarts, and prawn rolls, there’s always a nagging feeling at the back of our head reminding us of the calories from this sinful Chinese New Year feasting.
Chase that guilt away, and get back in shape with the following exercises. They can easily be done at home without the need for any equipment, so no excuses not to set aside a fraction of your time daily for some serious workouts!
1. Side Plank
- Lie on your left side with your elbow directly beneath your shoulder and legs stacked. Place your right hand on your right hip.
- Lift your hips off the floor, and balance on your forearm and feet. Make sure your body forms a diagonal line.
- Hold for as long as you can, then repeat until you’ve held for 30 seconds in total. Change sides and repeat.
2. Mountain Climber
- Align yourself on the exercise mat in a pushup position: hands below your shoulders, with your body in a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Lift your right foot off of the floor, and bring your right knee towards your chest.
- Tap the floor with your right foot and then return to the starting position. Switch legs with each repetition.
- Position your feet slightly wider than your hips, and point your toes slightly outward.
- Bend your knees and lower your body back as far as you can. Slowly push your body weight into your heels.
- Raise your arms out in front for balance as you are lower into the squat.
- Remember not to let your knees go over the toes, and to keep a neutral spine at all times.
- The lower body should be parallel with the floor and your chest should be lifted at all times.
- Hold for 2 seconds then lift back up to the starting position.
4. Arrow Arm Crunch
- Start on your back with your knees bent, and feet flat on the floor.
- Use your abs to lift your upper body off the floor. Straighten your arms and bring your hands together until they point to the center of your legs.
- Reach your hands to the left side, then back to the center, then to the right side and back to the center.
- Stand with your feet as wide as your shoulders. Lower your body onto the ground until your palms rest on the floor (again as wide as your shoulders).
- Kick your legs backward into a pushup position, and then perform a pushup.
- Quickly reverse the movement and perform a jump when you stand.
6. Leg Drop
- Lie on your back and raise both legs toward the ceiling. Breathe in and tighten your abs.
- Exhale and slowly lower your legs. Go as low as you can without lifting the small of your back. Pause and breathe in.
- Breathe out as you bring up your legs to the starting position.
7. Wipe Away
- Lie face up with arms out to sides at shoulder level, legs together, and abs taut.
- Lift legs straight over hips.
- Lower legs 45 degrees to the right, while keeping your back on the mat.
- Move legs back over hips.
- Repeat to left, and continue to alternate sides.
8. Flutter Kicks
- Start with lying flat on your back without holding your head up.
- Keep your abs tight and lift your legs straight out and up, about six inches above the ground. To prevent lower back strain, keep your hands underneath your glutes.
- Do scissor kicks up and down, while keeping your legs extended and core tightened.
PreviousHow To Work With Compact Spaces
NextHow To Create A Gorgeous Nautical Setting