8 HDB Renovation rulesInterior Design & Decor
5 minutes read
The statutes and general rules governing Singapore's HDB renovation rules may be found on the Attorney General's Chamber Website or the Housing and Development Board Website. It is important that every new homeowner acquaint yourself with these rules to prevent falling afoul of the law and having to pay penalties.
8 HDB Renovation rules
The statutes and general rules governing Singapore’s HDB renovation rules may be found on the Attorney General’s Chamber Website or the Housing and Development Board Website. It is important that every new homeowner acquaint yourself with these rules to prevent falling afoul of the law and having to pay penalties.
Here are eight important rules that you have to pay particular attention to.
1) HDB owners must first obtain a renovation permit from HDB before carrying out renovation works. Failure to comply will result in a fine not exceeding $5,000.
2) Notice must be served on your neighbours [two neighbouring flats surrounding your flat] 3 days in advance before commencing any renovation.
3) No renovation may be carried out otherwise than by a registered renovation contractor. Failure to comply will result in a fine not exceeding $5,000.
4) Renovation debris shall not be placed, deposited, kept, or left, on common property or in any open spaces except at spaces designated by the Town Council.
5) General renovation works can be carried out only between 8.00am and 6.00pm daily.
6) Noisy renovation work is restricted from 9.00am to 5.00pm daily during weekdays. Noisy renovation works is not allowed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
7) Renovation contractor is allowed to use not more than 2 HDB Approved Hand-held Power Tools or their equivalent at any one time to demolish walls and/or removal of wall/ floor finishes. Such work must be completed within 3 consecutive days.
8) Renovation work must be completed within one month for existing blocks and four months for new blocks from the date of the renovation permit.
Full references may be found here:
- Housing and Development (Renovation Control) Rules (Chapter 129, Section 27(2)(ba))
- Town Council of (location) (Common Property and Open Spaces) By-laws
- HDB Website
All the best for renovations!
PreviousWhat Your Bedroom Says About You
NextStunning Bubble Walls