The Best Ways To Clean Up Spills And StainsLiving & Lifestyle
3 minutes read
The holiday season is upon us, which means endless fun and endless gatherings.
But add a bunch of happy (and tipsy) people into the equation, and you might just have to bear the brunt of a cleaning nightmare. There is a chance that your happily inebriated guests might not ruin your new fabric couch or gorgeous sheepskin rug. But they do. They always do. A vigorous swish of the wine glass, or an accidental topple of a plate of pasta is enough to make your heart start racing. Now stop panicking, take a breather, and check out our step-by-step instructions on how to remove the four main types of spills off fabric sofas and soft furnishings – pronto.
1. Water-based Spills
- Time is of the essence, so grab a paper towel and blot the spill as much as you can until it dries.
- Don’t scrub! This will only worsen the damage.
- Wet the area with water, but be sure not to over-wet it as this may cause the spill to spread.
- Again, blot it with a paper towel and remember to change its side repeatedly. Continue doing so until you can’t see the stain on the paper towel anymore.
2. Oil-based Spills
- Pour baby powder or talcum over the affected area and let it sit and absorb the oil for 20 minutes.
- Vacuum the powder off.
- Apply upholstery-cleaning solvent (or dish soap if it’s for soft furnishings) onto a clean cloth and dab it onto the spill.
- With a paper towel, blot the area until it becomes dry.
3. Wax Spills
- Wait for the wax to harden.
- Now the fun part – Scrape off the hardened bits with a spatula or your fingers.
- Place a paper towel over the stain, and iron it on medium heat with the steamer off.
- The wax will transfer easily from the affected area to the paper towel.
- Continue doing this with a clean sheet of towel until the stain is gone.
4. Ink Spills
- Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol onto a clean cloth, and dab the stain with it gently.
- Be sure to use a new cloth once most of the ink has been transferred on it.
- Keep doing this until you no longer see ink on the cloth.
- To remove the alcohol, wet a fresh cloth with water and pat it on the affected area.
Request for quotes and we'll match you with a selection of Interior Designers!
PreviousA Bright Scandinavian Renovation Project at SkyTerrace @ Dawson
NextThis Mobile App Helps Your Renovation Journey From Start To End