Useful Tips for New HomeownersInterior Design & Decor
3 minutes read
Here are some practical tips shared by Renotalk homeowners for your renovation.Useful Tips for New Home Owners
- Go for stainless steel instead of chrome if budget allows. Bathroom accessories, kitchen faucets, legged computer tables, study tables, dining table. Why? Any tiny chip or crack on the chrome plating allow rust to penetrate and spread. A scratch on stainless steel, while unsightly, is not going to rust.
How to test for Stainless Steel? Bring along a magnet. It attracts to stainless steel.
- If you are going for sinks with attached dustbins, do check if the edges are sealed as water can seep through the gaps. A quick fix is to seal it with silicone sealant available at hardware stores.
- Inform your Interior Designer or contractor the exact position to install the kitchen and bathroom countertops or they may end up fixing it according to their own height (especially if your contractor is short). I ended up bending and arching my back too much when washing dishes because of this mistake.
- Maintenance vs Appeal. If maintenance is your concern, skip the glass basin and get a porcelain basin for your bathroom as toothpaste stains will not be visible at all.
- Get a built-in oven if budget allows. Many people regret not having that that during kitchen cabinet installation thus they have to make do with a smaller oven that sits on the kitchen counter (takes up space)
- Place blackout curtains in your bedroom if don't want the sun to shine directly onto your face every morning. (Early pigmentation prevention!)
- Change the letterbox lock. You can change it yourself by getting a new lock from the hardware store and a spanner. Quick and easy fix.
- Do not use frosted glass door for your toilet unless your whole family don't mind people seeing the shadows of them bathing.
- When installing bedroom drawers with lock, specify to your contractor or carpenter that you want a separate lock for each drawer. My carpenter gave me a whole bunch of duplicate keys and each of them can open every drawer in the house.
- Check out renotalk forums where you can search for everything under the sun for your renovation.
PreviousHidden Doors & Secret Spaces
NextSourcing For A Reliable House Mover