Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CraB

Aircon Or No Aircon

Hi all

This may be an old topic, but just want to have a general feedback on the need for aircon. Am getting new flat in a few months time, and am staying at high floor (>30 storey@ Toa Payoh Central), so am expecting the flat to be quite windy. Am considering the need for aircon, but thought otherwise as standing/ceiling fans should do a similar job. Am also slightly worried about the 'hidden' costs in the not-too-distant' future of aircons, such as possible leakage, etc. Not to mention the unsightly trunking!

My main use of aircon is to lower room temperature during hot days/nights. Anyone has survived without airconditioning so far in their new homes so far?

All comments/suggestions welcomed!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all

This may be an old topic, but just want to have a general feedback on the need for aircon. Am getting new flat in a few months time, and am staying at high floor (>30 storey@ Toa Payoh Central), so am expecting the flat to be quite windy. Am considering the need for aircon, but thought otherwise as standing/ceiling fans should do a similar job. Am also slightly worried about the 'hidden' costs in the not-too-distant' future of aircons, such as possible leakage, etc. Not to mention the unsightly trunking!

My main use of aircon is to lower room temperature during hot days/nights. Anyone has survived without airconditioning so far in their new homes so far?

All comments/suggestions welcomed!

My upcoming new place at Tanglin Halt also no aircon cos it is very windy. Also, both me and FW skin are slightly allergic to air-con so decided not to have one. In fact, my current room (mum's place) have a split unit air-con but rarely use. Prefer to use fan, even on hot days/nights. Air-con are relatively cheap now but there are maintenance costs involved, not to mention the electiricity bills. The split system at my mum's place are service quarterly by Cool Serve. As you mentioned, leakages does occur and it has happened to us. Spent some money to contain the leak.

The best way to lower your room temp is to open up both your windows and doors and let nature do its job. Remember convection flow?

I have gotten use to no air-con. The only exception is my office, and sometimes my skin does break out in rashes when in air-con room for too long or when the air-con is blowing directly at me.

Finally, do your bit for global warming.

My upcoming new place at Tanglin Halt also no aircon cos it is very windy. Also, both me and FW skin are slightly allergic to air-con so decided not to have one. In fact, my current room (mum's place) have a split unit air-con but rarely use. Prefer to use fan, even on hot days/nights. Air-con are relatively cheap now but there are maintenance costs involved, not to mention the electiricity bills. The split system at my mum's place are service quarterly by Cool Serve. As you mentioned, leakages does occur and it has happened to us. Spent some money to contain the leak.

The best way to lower your room temp is to open up both your windows and doors and let nature do its job. Remember convection flow?

I have gotten use to no air-con. The only exception is my office, and sometimes my skin does break out in rashes when in air-con room for too long or when the air-con is blowing directly at me.

Finally, do your bit for global warming.

Hi TYM

Much thanks for your feedback! Though I am not allergic to aircon, I tend to wake up with a slightly 'dry' and 'blocked' nose (also back at my parents' place); had always preferred the morning air (provided it is away from traffic and rubbish chute!). Was thinking about the maintenance, leaking (which may damage furniture and some type of flooring), bills (though my wife's idea was to only turn it on for an hour or two to 'cool' the room down), and regular service and maintenance. I guess staying at higher floors also means more wind and cooler air :P ; best of all, these are free and maintenance-free :P (though it's more $$$ for higher floors; but come to think of it, it's worth every cent!)

Can't wait to sit by the window and enjoy the cool morning/evening breeze :dunno: ! Had been looking at the Tanglin Halt forum a bit too; guess you are in the midst of your renovations? Or waiting for keys?

Hi TYM

Much thanks for your feedback! Though I am not allergic to aircon, I tend to wake up with a slightly 'dry' and 'blocked' nose (also back at my parents' place); had always preferred the morning air (provided it is away from traffic and rubbish chute!). Was thinking about the maintenance, leaking (which may damage furniture and some type of flooring), bills (though my wife's idea was to only turn it on for an hour or two to 'cool' the room down), and regular service and maintenance. I guess staying at higher floors also means more wind and cooler air :P ; best of all, these are free and maintenance-free :P (though it's more $$$ for higher floors; but come to think of it, it's worth every cent!)

Can't wait to sit by the window and enjoy the cool morning/evening breeze :dunno: ! Had been looking at the Tanglin Halt forum a bit too; guess you are in the midst of your renovations? Or waiting for keys?

I m staying in toa payoh too high floor >25. The wind wont flow constantly to one direction, so in certain mth totally no wind blowing in.....

It is good to have windy place but dun forget about the dust!

I m staying in toa payoh too high floor >25. The wind wont flow constantly to one direction, so in certain mth totally no wind blowing in.....

Yup dust is one problem, but I guess I have to do quite a bit of dusting regardless of dust or not as I own a rabbit, and she roams freely everywhere! Will need a good and reliable vacuum cleaner to do the cleaning....

BTW, thks for your comment! Also, I supposed you have aircon as well? Any problems/issues so far?

Agree with the dust problem but still choose not to have air-con. Fan will do just fine for me. :wub:

It was my HB that require the a/c at first... he said he couldn't sleep well without it... but now when he was not at home... I also on the a/c when sleep...

The good thing for a/c... it blocks the noise and dust because U have to close all window... especially during the 7th month...

hmm dun think leakage is a definite problem bah

my current home has a sharp system 2 for the past 5yrs

no problem at all, didn't even service it :jawdrop::P

I guess the servicing part depends on the usage? You switched it on from evening to next morning, or is it the whole day?

Can use ceiling fan to circulate the air as a replacement for air con. Remember someone mentioned this, "During the spring season begining quater of the year, it blow the South wind 南风, while once dong zhi arrive, in winter season it have the north wind 北 风

we reused previous owners' system 2 aircon... but seldom on them... prefer natural wind & fan.

to me, aircon is a luxury but not a necessity. :D

Why such a question?

Aircon is not an option any more. 30 years ago it was a luxury, today it's a necessity.

Ah, whether it is a 'need' or a 'must' varies from person to person. Just like SCV or no SCV, car or no car, washing machine or handwash, etc, there are pros and cons.

But why do you think it is a 'necessity'? Because weather hot? Or aircon is more affordable nowadays?

Anyway, I am asking the question here because I wanted to hear the opinion of people staying at higher floors in HDB, whether they had opted for aircon or fans, and the advantages/disadvantages. It's the long term (>5 years) issues that I am keen to find out more about. Also, trying to save $$$ and environment lah! :D

we reused previous owners' system 2 aircon... but seldom on them... prefer natural wind & fan.

to me, aircon is a luxury but not a necessity. :D

Personally my view, Air Con today is relatively cheap, no harm in installed one and turn it on as an option during the summer days or as required. By not turning on, it does not comsume power and required less maintainance.

Also it can serve as an filtering system for air during Hazey days when indonesia started to put fire.

Luxury or neccessity is subjective to individual needs and requirement.

quite true.. nowadays aircon very cheap as compared to last time. my prev house 15th flr, normally very windy.. i stayed there 7 yrs, i hardly on the aircon. but wind is not something i can control, when the hot season comes and at nite totally no wind, or the air itself is warm, then use fan is just to circulate back the warm air, so at that time, i will on the aircon.. 7 yrs i nvr serviced the aircon even once.. dunno if this is good or not la. normally just the fan will do but really some months, aircon is a blessing man...

my house not so high but during daytime, the wind blow will blow down my photo frames and carpets type...

Personally my view, Air Con today is relatively cheap, no harm in installed one and turn it on as an option during the summer days or as required. By not turning on, it does not comsume power and required less maintainance.

Also it can serve as an filtering system for air during Hazey days when indonesia started to put fire.

Luxury or neccessity is subjective to individual needs and requirement.