Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

This size is good. I can now visualise your house when looking at those reno photos :)

Two doors from a HDB flat! This is something new to me. Your master bedroom extension has made it bigger (which is better than before).

JTC built many blocks in the 1970s and quality is better than those first batches built by HDB.

My block is already 30 years old, and the unit comes with 2-leaf main door and service balcony which is not prevalent in HDB flats until recent years.

Besides Pandan Gardens, those 5-rooms at Teban Gardens and Boon Lay Gardens also come with 2 access doors. But I don't like those 5-rooms at Teban & Boon lay as their ceiling is not as high as flats at Pandan Gardens.

Not sure where else JTC built these type of flats with 2 doors.

Edited by mae29

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
JTC built many blocks in the 1970s and quality is better than those first batches built by HDB.

My block is already 30 years old, and the unit comes with 2-leaf main door and service balcony which is not prevalent in HDB flats until recent years.

Besides Pandan Gardens, those 5-rooms at Teban Gardens and Boon Lay Gardens also come with 2 access doors. But I don't like those 5-rooms at Teban & Boon lay as their ceiling is not as high as flats at Pandan Gardens.

Not sure where else JTC built these type of flats with 2 doors.

IMO, a person has more than one way to escape when a fire broke out and the main door was engulfed in fire. Generally, people living in houses with 2 doors (Front and back door) have double the chance of surviving if a fire broke out :)

By the way, does the side door has any implications when it comes to FS? Cos it is located at the kitchen.

Edited by CoffeeMan

IMO, a person has more than one way to escape when a fire broke out and the main door was engulfed in fire. Generally, people living in houses with 2 doors (Front and back door) have double the chance of surviving if a fire broke out :)

By the way, does the side door has any implications when it comes to FS? Cos it is located at the kitchen.

When there is more than one door in a house, always open & use one door at a time. This means I cannot have the main door and side door open at the same time to avoid causing confusion to Qi flow into the house. :unsure:

Further, I understand that some FSM have many doors and bedrooms in their house (of course landed property only). They will use the door which has the most favourable Wang Qi, and also choose to sleep in the room with auspicious Qi.

For my home, I have to be mindful not to let the stove be seen from the side door. For kitchen, in feng shui, we are more concern with the location of stove and its facing. Looks like I have limited choice when comes to selecting hobs! :o I have to choose those hobs with knobs on the right side panel.

I have just started a new topic on Stove & Gua number.

Edited by mae29

When there is more than one door in a house, always open & use one door at a time. This means I cannot have the main door and side door open at the same time to avoid causing confusion to Qi flow into the house. :unsure:

Further, I understand that some FSM have many doors and bedrooms in their house (of course landed property only). They will use the door which has the most favourable Wang Qi, and also choose to sleep in the room with auspicious Qi.

For my home, I have to be mindful not to let the stove be seen from the side door. For kitchen, in feng shui, we are more concern with the location of stove and its facing. Looks like I have limited choice when comes to selecting hobs! :o I have to choose those hobs with knobs on the right side panel.

I have just started a new topic on Stove & Gua number.

Yup. The stove shouldn't be easily seen from the side door.

What type of hobs are u looking? And why do u have to choose those hobs w knobs on the right panel? FS issue?

By the way, are u buying the gas hobs or induction hobs? My FS master told me to use gas hobs instead of induction hobs b'cos they do not produce fire and are still "under experiment".

Time really flies! After the hacking & demolition last Thurs & Friday, here are some updates for this week:

Mosiac pattern for the master toilet. ID was trying to match the wall tiles and eventually selected this series.

2tvj_10f_uc4it.jpg

Gas Main Pipe in the Service Balcony which hinder the wall tiling. City Gas customer service is excellent! :) ID called me on 1-Dec around 2:00pm after spotted the problem with the gas pipe which run across the common toilet, affecting the wall tiling to full height. I called City Gas at about 4:30pm. Spoke to a lady called Daphne Tan, and she gave me her email address to send the pictures to her. She called me shortly and informed that Power Gas will be contacting me & it will be dismantled on the spot if possible. Next morning, Power Gas called and said they are coming to site from 1:30pm to 3:30pm. When I went home at 2:00pm, the pipe was also disconnected. :D

v5ja_bb8_uc4it.jpg

The FSM told me that the entrance to kitchen cannot be larger than the Main Entrance. Hence, after hacking down the store room, the widen door width has to reduce. So, a tiny portion of wall is built to close-up the widen entrance, and to create a Foyer in the kitchen. (I will have the 3-D drawings this weekend, and will post them here.)

lsrg_33d_uc4it.jpg

Erection of New wall at Kitchen to separate service balcony, and low wall support for sink:

ypoy_507_uc4it.jpg

Door frame standby for installation:

hm82_07b_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Yup. The stove shouldn't be easily seen from the side door.

What type of hobs are u looking? And why do u have to choose those hobs w knobs on the right panel? FS issue?

By the way, are u buying the gas hobs or induction hobs? My FS master told me to use gas hobs instead of induction hobs b'cos they do not produce fire and are still "under experiment".

Hi, CoffeeMan

You are right! I belong to West Group people. Hence, the knob must be on right side (west). This is the model which I will be buying soon. (EFH 4650, gas hob).

j87a_bec_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Hi, CoffeeMan

You are right! I belong to West Group people. Hence, the knob must be on right side (west). This is the model which I will be buying soon. (EFH 4650, gas hob).

j87a_bec_uc4it.jpg

This is interesting. Then those knobs on the left side are for east group? And how about those knobs in the middle? Either west or east groups?

Finally have time to meet up with ID this afternoon to view the 3D drawings. There will changes made to his ideas, but overall I am very satisfied with the colour scheme and layout design.

The Living Room with the TV console. The glass block may provide some lights through, but may not provide privacy for the Bedroom. ID has come out with alternative ideas to replace a 2 feet wide frosted glass with shelvings. Let's see what my children comment when they see this drawing for now.

vwke_bbf_uc4it.jpg

The glossy white kitchen cabinet - stove & sink area. May add 2 pieces of frosted glass door above the stove. As I seldom cook at home, will not be installing the cooker hood. Moreover, even if I cook at home, it will be simple stry fry or steam cooking. Children are very health conscious, so don't like Deep Fry stuff! Therefore, I do not need to buy the hood which ended up as 'white elephant', just like my old kitchen hood which was 'idling' in the kitchen and never use at all! In place, ID will install a pelmet below the 2 glass door to prevent fume from sipping through the door gaps while cooking.

oyud_f3e_uc4it.jpg

Kitchen viewed from another angle showing the window opening to let light in to the dining / living room. Will be changing the door of bottom cabinet to drawers with Blum runners.

oyud_242_uc4it.jpg

Kitchen - another view seen with the store room (which wall was knocked down and install 2 sliding doors - frosted / opaque to hide the junks inside the shelves). You will also notice the Foyer into the kitchen, which ID selected different colour of floor tiles.

oyud_7cf_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Bedroom 2 - for the youngest son.

duxe_1a7_uc4it.jpg

Bedroom 3 - for the second son. The green feature wall is given 'free' by ID, to box up the recess area.

fyg1_098_uc4it.jpg

For the same bedroom 3 showing the wardrobe hiding behind the door.

hdrt_c0d_uc4it.jpg

Bedroom 4 - the living room converted, for the elder son.

hdrt_48d_uc4it.jpg

For the same Bedroom 4, with the TV feature wall. We may remove the open book shelves if the frosted glass panel is re-designed. The platform for the King size mattress will have cove lights at the step below. Noticed the side board on the left of platform bed? Elder son is used to sleep leaning against wall! No wall for him to lean, so construct a side board for his bed.

hv6l_a2d_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

...and finally but not the least, my Master Bedroom!

Master Bedroom - Sliding door wardrobe. Centre piece on the door is frosted glass (can see through)

w5oc_4c1_uc4it.jpg

Master Bedroom - the bed behind the wardrobe. There is a sliding laminate door at the entrance of toilet to shield the water dripping noise. (I can't sleep with noise and lights, so extra wooden door in addition to the glass sliding door inside the toilet, which picture is showing bi-fold door). I will ask ID to fabricate the headboard, but not the bedframe as seen, which I will buy Queen size only.

17ly_c78_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

This is interesting. Then those knobs on the left side are for east group? And how about those knobs in the middle? Either west or east groups?

No, the knob on the right side happened to be pointing to the West for my stove location! As you mentioned in my new post 'Stove & Gua number", knob facing is based on your back direction! If I stand facing South, my right hand side is West. So, this is where my knob is located for West people like me.

Then, if the knobs are on the left, it will be for EAST group people.

In the same standing direction facing South, those knobs at the centre are for for East Group people too, as it will be North direction for the knobs.

I went shopping at Novena Square yesterday afternoon. Supposed to meet my ID and the electrician at Balestier at 2:30pm to view the 3D drawings and finalized the electrical quotation, but it was raining heavily and there was a very long Q at the taxi stand. Text my ID that I would be late. Surprisingly, received his call that he is coming to fetch me:)

Have bought most of the kitchen and toilet accessories at Asia Excel along Balestier Road. Got good discount price for the EFH 4650 hob at $440, cheaper than those at Best Denki and Courts which is selling at $469.

Total damage is $2,840.

Still pending the rain shower with light effect for common bathroom, and the basin(cabinet) for master toilet.

My fuzzy youngest son wants his room to be all white and black, against the color theme suggested by my FSM. Headache for me and challenge for ID!

He has too much metal in his birth chart which makes him inflexible and unresponsive to new ideas. :wacko:

My youngest is Geng Metal, and metal elements are dominating his BaZi chart. A person with his attribute needs to undergo adversities and challenges in order to be solid and useful as he was born into a structure that is in conflict with the season.

No choice for now, but to go according to his Wish! :jail:

Edited by mae29

...and finally but not the least, my Master Bedroom!

Master Bedroom - Sliding door wardrobe. Centre piece on the door is frosted glass (can see through)

w5oc_4c1_uc4it.jpg

Master Bedroom - the bed behind the wardrobe. There is a sliding laminate door at the entrance of toilet to shield the water dripping noise. (I can't sleep with noise and lights, so extra wooden door in addition to the glass sliding door inside the toilet, which picture is showing bi-fold door). I will ask ID to fabricate the headboard, but not the bedframe as seen, which I will buy Queen size only.

17ly_c78_uc4it.jpg

hi mae, is the back of wardrode considered as solid wall in fengshui terms...?

hi mae, is the back of wardrode considered as solid wall in fengshui terms...?

Tall objects are considered YIN and therefore, the full height solid wardrobe can be used as backing for my bed to lean against.

The only flaw in this arrangement is that my feet will be pointing to the window and I must draw the curtains (must be thick night curtains) when I sleep.

Our initial layout plan given by FSM was to build the wardrobe near the left wall at entrance of master bedroom, same as my old layout. But this will block half of the view and light into the living room outside.

Further, FSM master suggested my bed to be placed at corner tapping into good Yin star (8), but I changed to current location / direction to tap into my Nobleman star (BaZi) & 'Tian Yi - heavenly doctor' (8 mansion), as I personally find these 2 aspects more important than Flying Star - Star 8. ;)

Edited by mae29