Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

Hehe, sorry to kaypoh and giving a comment abit. For viewing comfort, the TV should be at eye level from the sofa. Perhaps, having this in mind will let your ID revised the design accordingly.

Anyway, nice renovation, mae.

Thank you for compiling the Renovation Tips. It provides alot of tips and useful information for owners like me, who has nobody to turn to but here seeking guidance and solutions from brothers and sisters in this forum:) :)

Edited by mae29

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I went up to see the progress of tiling work during my lunch time just now. Only one Malaysian tiler is at work, for the wall tiles at common toilet.

1aa4_54c_uc4it.jpg

As I have requested for build-in shelves for shampoos, he had cut out a quarter round shape from the living room floor tiles and showed it to me if I accepted it. I was delighted at that very moment!

Understand from this guy, Ah Lim or Ah Pak we may call him, his colleague will join him to do the flooring once he finished a current project at CCK. Was quite surprised when he told me that owner is rushing to move in by this Friday, while the granite flooring is still incomplete as of today?!

Ah Lim also told me that this colleague, the floor tiler, workmanship is good:) I am hoping so. :unsure:

Edited by mae29

Bedroom 2 - for the youngest son.

duxe_1a7_uc4it.jpg

Bedroom 3 - for the second son. The green feature wall is given 'free' by ID, to box up the recess area.

fyg1_098_uc4it.jpg

For the same bedroom 3 showing the wardrobe hiding behind the door.

hdrt_c0d_uc4it.jpg

Bedroom 4 - the living room converted, for the elder son.

hdrt_48d_uc4it.jpg

For the same Bedroom 4, with the TV feature wall. We may remove the open book shelves if the frosted glass panel is re-designed. The platform for the King size mattress will have cove lights at the step below. Noticed the side board on the left of platform bed? Elder son is used to sleep leaning against wall! No wall for him to lean, so construct a side board for his bed.

hv6l_a2d_uc4it.jpg

On the first batch of 3D drawings released to us last week, here are our comments to our ID:

Bedroom 2 - youngest son wants his room to be all white & black theme with some original Wood colour furniture! Sigh!!!

His BaZi Chart already has so many Metal elements and yet he still want Earth to grow Metal! :bangwall:

Bedroom 3 - for second son, and he is the only person who makes no comments! :)

Bedroom 4 - for eldest son, he likes the concept design and the only comment from him is to remove the mirror from the wardrobe and install the mirror on the wall near right side of door entrance. However, as he is a strong 'Ren' Day Master staying in Gen Kua, FSM suggested 'Apple White' theme for his room, which will be identical to the second son (also a strong Ren day master born in season). On this aspect, I am also insisting the ID to change the colour theme for Bedroom 4.

I went up to see the progress of tiling work during my lunch time just now. Only one Malaysian tiler is at work, for the wall tiles at common toilet.

As I have requested for build-in shelves for shampoos, he had cut out a quarter round shape from the living room floor tiles and showed it to me if I accepted it. I was delighted at that very moment!

Understand from this guy, Ah Lim or Ah Pak we may call him, his colleague will join him to do the flooring once he finished a current project at CCK. Was quite surprised when he told me that owner is rushing to move in by this Friday, while the granite flooring is still incomplete as of today?!

Ah Lim also told me that this colleague, the floor tiler, workmanship is good:) I am hoping so. :unsure:

Are u going to conceal the wirings in the toilets? Better make known to your ID before it's too late.

On the first batch of 3D drawings released to us last week, here are our comments to our ID:

Bedroom 2 - youngest son wants his room to be all white & black theme with some original Wood colour furniture! Sigh!!!

His BaZi Chart already has so many Metal elements and yet he still want Earth to grow Metal! :bangwall:

Bedroom 3 - for second son, and he is the only person who makes no comments! :)

Bedroom 4 - for eldest son, he likes the concept design and the only comment from him is to remove the mirror from the wardrobe and install the mirror on the wall near right side of door entrance. However, as he is a strong 'Ren' Day Master staying in Gen Kua, FSM suggested 'Apple White' theme for his room, which will be identical to the second son (also a strong Ren day master born in season). On this aspect, I am also insisting the ID to change the colour theme for Bedroom 4.

Bedroom 2 - Work on his bedsheets, rug and underclothes :)

Are u going to conceal the wirings in the toilets? Better make known to your ID before it's too late.

CoffeeMan,

Will HDB approved concealed wiring in toilet? I am paying for PE Endorsement for electrical installations....so many lighting points and sockets... :unsure:

CoffeeMan,

Will HDB approved concealed wiring in toilet? I am paying for PE Endorsement for electrical installations....so many lighting points and sockets... :unsure:

I saw some RT forumers doing that.... but it's better to play safe. Pls check w your ID first.

My card reader is faulty and I am trying to find time to buy a replacement before I can download the progress photographs of my home renovation. These days, lunch time is spent walking home to inspect the workmanship, and having lunch with the tiler. Today, lunch is with both tiler and my ID. My ID was at the reno site because there is open window affecting the row of mosiacs designed for the wall behind the WC bowl.

For the time being, decided to write something on house feng shui & 4 pillars of destiny, with my little knowledge. :P

How we face adversities in life and whether we are successful in the pursuit of our goals and aspirations will depend on the conditions of our living space or environment and our attitudes and actions.

I like this advice from 'Sun Tzu': “It is a principle of war that we do not assume the enemy will not come, but instead be prepared for his coming, not to presume the enemy will not attack, but instead to make our own position invincible to ensure victory.”

True enough, by knowing our natal chart based on BaZi and our luck cycle over the course of our life using the intrinsic luck pillars, we can use Feng Shui as a moderator to overcome anticipated challenges and at the same time, enable us to achieve our goals and purpose in life.

Our house is a gateway for Qi to enter and collect. By positioning the front door of our house in the auspicious location and direction, we can tune into the positive energy of our environment for harmony and prosperity, and at the same time, to avoid negative energy which brings misfortune and calamity. ;)

Apart from our destiny’s chart and Feng Shui, we can always rely on our own free will as well. When the going started to get tough and life is but a struggle, our own attitude and reaction will partly determine whether the battle is won or lost.

Edited by mae29

I was utterly disappointed with the aircon guy who has embedded the draining pipe underneath the floor tiles in Master toilet.

For the first time, I fly into fury and sent the following message to the aircon guy, via my ID (because he recommended this guy to me):

Quote"

I definitely want thicker insulation, Armaflex Class '0' to prevent condensation & loss of energy efficiency, and Grade 22 copper for refrigeration system.

Also, the common drainage pipe which I saw in master toiler now seemed too small! My engineer told me better use DN25 for common drain pipe connecting all drainage pipes from each FCU. The PVC drainage pipe at each FCU can use 16mm, but the main one connecting them must be bigger.

As I have lost trust on the aircon guy, Joey, I have to keep an eye on his material and installation. Hence, when time for aircon installation, I am taking leave to inspect! If Joey gives excuses that bigger pipes & thicker insultation may pose bulky trunkings, I was told that we can have it partially concealed in walls.

Not sure how much you understand this message, but I can get my HVAC engineer to talk to him, if Joey is trying to dissuade me. Unquote"

Wow...I seemed to be too harsh on my ID...as this has nothing to do with him at all! :(

Donny is really very patient and nice...didn't push the problem back to me, instead he replied that " I'll let him know" and later sms'd to say "Have told Joie your request, he'll call you......"

Edited by mae29

Hi Mae,

Whats was your quotation? Able to share?

Hi, Ken

Original quotation was around $48K for all carpentries, new floor & wall tiles, hacking whole house (hacking alone is already a few K due to so many walls, floors and cabinets to remove)! It was considered reasonable as I took their promo package for kitchen & 2 toilets ($15,999), and subsequently revise from thereon for my requirements.

Later, I made changes and added these items:

- Plastering for whole house (wall & ceilings)

- New windows in White Powder Coated frame with green tinted glass panels for whole house

- Wall tiles for service balcony (was not included as their package is for kitchen + 2 toilets only)

- New doors in veneer solid wood & frames x 4 nos.

- New side board in laminate for the platform bed in Bedroom 4

- Design ceiling for all rooms

- Extra top hung wooden door in laminate finish for my Master toilet (as you can see from 3D drawing)

I asked to remove all those freebies (toilet bowls, sink, accessories) which they included in promo package and discount was given to me. Total price for my reno package as seen in 3D drawings is >$50K! You can roughly guess the final numbers......

I showed these 11 pieces of 3D drawings to my colleague and she was shocked that my ID provides so many pieces for the 1st time (unlike some ID who will feed you piece meal!!). These 11 pieces of 3D drawings excluded the 5 pieces of 3D drawings for toilets & kitchen from the tiles shop which they provide to show me the colour scheme of tiles, which I believe, not many ID requested the shop to provide. :)

...and all these 3D drawings are FOC! :);)

Edited by mae29

Took half day leave yesterday to do personal errand and therefore have more time to spend inspecting the renovation.

Went up to my place around 12 plus and there were 6 workers including the one changing the rubbish chute. Hmmm...seems like my ID is pushing the contractor to deploy more workers to speed up the revonation.

The controversial Aircon drainage pipe has been changed to bigger diameter and concealed in the wall in master toilet.

My ID is really a very responsible person. I am also glad that the workers sent to my place are all very experienced and care for their workmanship! Tiler Ah Lim told me before that he would reject a piece of wall tile in the common toilet as he found it not in alignment with the rest. I won't have noticed it if he didn't tell him that, and this shows his professionalism. What I saw later was a raw area which tile was removed.

Then, while I was there yesterday, one worker was supposed to erect the wall with frosted glass in the living room and had an issue which I can't make the decision. I heard this worker calling my ID and to my surprise, my ID arrived at site in less than 15 mins. :)

We later left my home and ID drove me to the bank and beauty salon.

Edited by mae29

The workers seen working on kitchen & toilets walls when I went up on Friday.

1euo_ec6_uc4it.jpg

The workers' output----

18bc_7c6_uc4it.jpg

My ID, Donny, seen here in deep thought (not so easy to revamp old flat!!) and inspecting the work-in-progress on Friday, 10-Dec-2010.....

ocek_83b_uc4it.jpg

Progress to date...

--Service Balcony wall tiles up....and SS rubbish chute

uytf_260_uc4it.jpg

The wall opening at Dining & Kitchen low cabinet..

ixf8_568_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Master Toilet wall tiles...

ue0v_842_uc4it.jpg

ue0v_877_uc4it.jpg

Foyer at entrance to Kitchen

w7bo_fa1_uc4it.jpg

Good workmanship....worth praising them :good:

tauq_708_uc4it.jpg :good:

Edited by mae29

On Friday, heard that workers are working on Saturday and heard from ID that more sand will be arriving.

So, woke up early on Saturday morning and bring my sister along. Upon arriving at my home, we saw 4 workers were working on walls at Kitchen and erecting the hollow block wall at the new bedroom.

1dh7_7c5_uc4it.jpg

I asked the workers if they want to stop for lunch, to my surprise, all claimed they have too many people and they don't want to go out for lunch at same time!!! So, I ended up 'ta-pau' food & drinks for them.

qrl7_2df_uc4it.jpg

...........to my great surprise, met my ID again on a Saturday! After I had brought up the food & drinks for workers, my sister and I went back to the coffee shop for our lunch. After that, we decided to wait for a taxi as we are planning to go to Toa Payoh. While crossing over at the pedestrian crossing, saw a very familiar car plate and to my surprise, it was my ID who had already gone up to see the progress and was leaving with his friend..... :):thumbs up:

Edited by mae29

The controversy over aircon drainage pipe ...why I am paranoid about the pipes issue.....

Look at the old method which was done by GAIN CITY!!!!! Newspaper wrapping the pipes instead of insulation????????????? :curse:

Lesson learnt - Better check the installation personally if you engage Gain City or any unreliable aircon contractor!! No wonder my Carrier brand aircon systems broke down frequently and condensation on trunkings!!!

13kx_d0a_uc4it.jpg

For current new installation, it could be a misunderstanding with my aircon guy, but he is quick enough to remedy and appease me by promptly redo the pipes for me. :)

gyfp_c12_uc4it.jpg

Now, the outlet of the drainage pipe will be exposed for purging...

fl9m_4ec_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29