Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tingshen

Anybody Doing Membrane Door For Your Kitchen Cabinet?

spa0003yx1em9.jpg

I think less than 3 months....one of the doors like this. Is it due to the factory sealing processing ah? waiting for my contractor's reply now.......d@mn sianz.......luckily only 1 of the doors like that.

picture taken via my U600 in fluorescent mode :yamseng:

Edited by tingshen

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes, I have done this before. But the name does puzzle me. My cabinet designer calls it "postform'. And no, it does not have ABS trimming.

This is shoddy work. My kitchen cabinets have lasted me 7+ years, and it's still in great condition. No peeling of the laminate.

It's been only 3 months. So I think you need to call back the carpenter to rectify it.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

Yes, I have done this before. But the name does puzzle me. My cabinet designer calls it "postform'. And no, it does not have ABS trimming.

This is shoddy work. My kitchen cabinets have lasted me 7+ years, and it's still in great condition. No peeling of the laminate.

It's been only 3 months. So I think you need to call back the carpenter to rectify it.

oic...postform ok I learn another new term.

But normally cabinet edge are postform while cabinet doors are abs trimming right?

haha, i think you guys thought the part that's facing you is the front. Nope, it's the backside of the membrane door.

Postform is using laminate, not membrane. And membrane has no ABS trimming coz ABS trimming came out to compete with membrane one hehe....

take a closer look at the right hand side, those glossy shiny ones are the front part of the membrane doors.

Edited by tingshen

haha, i think you guys thought the part that's facing you is the front. Nope, it's the backside of the membrane door.

Postform is using laminate, not membrane. And membrane has no ABS trimming coz ABS trimming came out to compete with membrane one hehe....

take a closer look at the right hand side, those glossy shiny ones are the front part of the membrane doors.

I knew that picture is showing the inside of the cabinet door. Like I said, my contractor calls it postform. He does not call it membrane. So that's why I am also confused with the terminolgy. Forget about terminology for once. Let's just talk about the "wrapping" of the laminate around the sides of the cabinet door (at least we can agree on this, right?).

h4happy, normally, the carcass of the cabinet is just glued with laminate, and it shows the black edges of the laminate. So long as the glue used it good, the laminate won't peel. What my contractor does is, he fixes a door panel on exposed sides of cabinets, so the sides have a better finish.

Only cabinet doors can have ABS trimming. And these trimming should match the colour of the laminate.

These days, it's harder to find suppliers to make postform doors. Most carpenters now prefer to do doors with ABS trimmings.

I knew that picture is showing the inside of the cabinet door. Like I said, my contractor calls it postform. He does not call it membrane. So that's why I am also confused with the terminolgy. Forget about terminology for once. Let's just talk about the "wrapping" of the laminate around the sides of the cabinet door (at least we can agree on this, right?).

h4happy, normally, the carcass of the cabinet is just glued with laminate, and it shows the black edges of the laminate. So long as the glue used it good, the laminate won't peel. What my contractor does is, he fixes a door panel on exposed sides of cabinets, so the sides have a better finish.

Only cabinet doors can have ABS trimming. And these trimming should match the colour of the laminate.

These days, it's harder to find suppliers to make postform doors. Most carpenters now prefer to do doors with ABS trimmings.

er....as far as I know, postform and membrane are totally 2 different things u know? Postform is "glued" but membrane is "compressed" through a machine in the factory with high temperature one, and it's much more expensive than anything else.....

ermm.. can someone show me a picture of a door with ABS trimmings? clueless as to how it looks like.

ermm.. can someone show me a picture of a door with ABS trimmings? clueless as to how it looks like.

for the benefit of the rest:

this is postform, usually not using solid wood, the cheapest materials:

001.jpg

ABS trimming, the most cost effective material and easier to maintain, but I can't seem to find any picture from the web, well, you just ask any contractor, they will be able to show you one. the key is the sides and corners.

As for membrane compressed door, this is one of the samples(there is no way to achieve this with postform):

1012po5.jpg

My contractor calls it "System Doors". I'm doing it for my kitchen cabinets.

I like the embossed look rather than plain looking cabinets. Hope mine turns out ok. Contractor did warn me that the door might not last long, must take care, but I think effect is too pretty, decided to give it a try. The red colour and white colour laminate I chose matches well, BUT the design is a little different. Argh! The white laminate I like comes in ribbed grainy wood texture. The red comes in shimmering checkers!!! Wish got that shade of red in that same ribbed grainy wood texture, but seems like don't have. :dunno::bangwall:

My postform doors are made of plywood, not compressed wood like those used by Ikea.

In any way, postform is not popular these days because the designers feel that postform has a dated look.

My new kitchen will have doors with ABS trimming.