Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
currahee

Seller Wish To Stay A Few Weeks After Handing Of Keys

need some advice here..

my 1st appt is due end Nov, thus i believe the 2nd appt is ~4-6weeks after..

my seller is asking if they can stay a few weeks, probe 2-3 weeks after handing over of keys (2nd appt).

since this arrangement is not correct, i would like to know if it is legal to let them stay since i'm officially the new owner...

if they have reasons like haven't found a gd place, would it make sense to just push back the 2nd appt date?

thanks for advice...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
need some advice here..

my 1st appt is due end Nov, thus i believe the 2nd appt is ~4-6weeks after..

my seller is asking if they can stay a few weeks, probe 2-3 weeks after handing over of keys (2nd appt).

since this arrangement is not correct, i would like to know if it is legal to let them stay since i'm officially the new owner...

if they have reasons like haven't found a gd place, would it make sense to just push back the 2nd appt date?

thanks for advice...

if you are not in a rush to get ur place i think u can delay the 2nd appt but only for a few weeks? bcoz the process has an 'expiry date', after which u hv to repeat the whole process. and even before my 2nd appt there was already a deduction from my cpf acc for the place.

i believe letting the seller stay after completion is a pvt arrangement b/w seller and buyer. buyer takes quite a risk here becoz u dont know what the seller might do to that flat (no longer theirs, so they heck care) and make sure not to terminate the utilities yet. also, as i mentioned above, you hv already started paying for the flat.

Their extended stay should be viewed as a seperate arrangement from the sales and purchase. Treat it like a short term rental. Collect large rental deposit, etc.

There are many reasons why ppl can't postpone completion date, most of them genuine. It's a matter whether u want to be reasonable or not and your assessment of the seller's motivation.

Haven't found a good place is not valid reason, but for example.. their reno got stuck.. or their purchase got some delays.. is acceptable since is not their intention. A good motivation is to charge them high rent to ensure compliance with any special arrangements.

we allowed the seller, or rather, the seller's tenants to stay a few more days after completion. it was a very messy, long drawn out affair but basically they asked for two weeks to look for a new place. because i needed to start my renovations ASAP, i told them that yeah they could stay, but my contractors are going to come in and start hacking the place. if you can put up with it, so be it.

they lasted about three days before calling it quits. in their own words "the place is so dusty and dirty, humans cannot stay here!". plus there were no lights. it's amazing they lasted that long to begin with. when they left, they just left a lot of rubbish behind, which was very inconsiderate but i was too tired to argue anymore.

Whether the handover date is on the date itself or a few days later, if the seller has no intention to deliver a clean place, the date is irrelavant.

imagine... they already are late finding an alternative place to stay. would they have the time and energy to clean the place up? Put it this way.. there is no contractual obligation to hand over a clean place, unless it was specifically mentioned in the purchase agreement.

So i think.. is not a matter of the date of handover, but really the motivation of the seller.

Last time when my parents sold their flat, we didn't have time to find a new flat (cos we need the proceeds from the old flat), thus we request for some time from the seller so that we can find a new flat (i tink abt 2 weeks). My mum is a responsible person and we left the flat in a good condition to the buyer.

However the resale flat that we are moving to (and the seller also request for some days delay before moving out to us) left a lot of wardrobes / debris etc behind for us to clear.

I guess you must know the reason why they wanted to extend.

If possible, try not to extend. If need, try to change the 2nd appt date.

If really need, try to come to an understanding with the seller.

Most of the time, I think it would be like Cokelight's case, where the seller needs the transaction to go thru before they got money to pay for their next housing. Thus they cannot delay the 2nd appt.

However, as above advised, you should treat it like you are renting to them; no need to sign tenancy agreement, but at least an agreement to say they will leave the place nicely. Whether to charge rental fees or not is up to you (for me I will charge), but you MUST at least get a deposit to make sure they do not leave the flat in a mess.

Last but not least, you want to ask about legalities, yes it is ILLEGAL for others to stay in a flat when the owners are not staying there, unless the owners have approval from HDB to rent the unit out. Your newly-bought flat will never get approval for rental, so don't even try because it will alert the officers that you might rent illegally.

In short, you must realise that you are doing a 'good deed' to let them stay, plus it will implicate you in the worst case scenerio. So its up to you whether want to be a nice buyer or not lor...

It depends whether ur relationship with the seller is good. For my case, my seller have ask for an extension of 1 mth and give us a sum of money as rental. When they leave everything is clear. Besides, my hubby have been on a friendly terms with the seller husband.

thanks to all for the advice..

guess sometimes need to see what the seller situation is..

probably if there really is a need to extend, is like what you guys have mentioned: collect rental + deposit for the place.

thanks to all for the advice..

guess sometimes need to see what the seller situation is..

probably if there really is a need to extend, is like what you guys have mentioned: collect rental + deposit for the place.

definitely charge rental as well as pro-rate conservancy/maintenance fees.

Edited by loves

hi all,

new here =)

just sold my flat and haven got the new flat..hahah

our agent got 2 mths extension for us from the buyer (which mean can stay 2 more mths upon handing over keys to buyer)

we need to bear the utility and conservancy charges for that 2 mths.

whereas, rental to be bear by the buyer.

this is 1 disadvantage to the buyer which not many people will agree..

HTHs =)