Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Check Corridors Of Hdb Flats To Ensure Fire Safety

ST FORUM

Dec 17, 2007

Check corridors of HDB flats to ensure fire safety

IN SEPTEMBER, I wrote to The Straits Times Forum page about errant shopkeepers who obstruct walkways and urged government agencies to step up efforts to ensure that all items beyond the permitted area are cleared by shopkeepers.

More importantly, I called for checks on common corridors of flats by the Housing Board and town councils so that action can be taken against irresponsible flat dwellers who strew plants, clothes and shoe racks across the slightly more than 2m-wide walkways.

A few weeks later, another reader sent similar feedback to The Sunday Times. There was no response at all to both letters.

Now, we have the Dover Road fire which broke out on the lift landing of an HDB block, because of discarded furniture. Fortunately, there were no fatalities.

While the focus is on why the fire occurred, and the repairs that need to be done to restore residents' lives to normalcy, we should also look at preventive measures that need to be put in place.

Does the HDB act only when there are fatalities, as in the Hougang Avenue 8 minimart blaze on Sept 13 when two people died?

No doubt its subsequent steps were commendable, but there are still many irresponsible flat owners. I recently saw a wooden bench the size of a sofa sitting along one corridor.

Common walkways are important access routes for residents to move freely in times of emergency. Even in normal circumstances, you need to manoeuvre dexterously to move along the corridor and reach the stairwell.

I strongly urge government agencies to intensify their checks - including common corridors of flats - and issue stern warnings to irresponsible flat owners.

Guidelines should also be in place on what is allowed in common corridors, and what is not.

Hopefully, there will be no more such fire incidents in HDB blocks.

Larry Keh Chun Woon

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

:):wub:

This article I like!! I must print then paste them on my neighbours' doors! Yesterday they went overboard by putting their clothes rack directly in front of the lift, totally blocking the lift button!! How to press the button like that?:wub: Ooh...I would love to see town council issuing them warning letters... :sport-smiley-003::yamseng:

i shld stick it up at my parents place...they hv 3 shoe racks! just for 4 ppl...goodness. not cluttered = fire hazard but certainly not so nice looking.

the other day while unpacking i left some boxes outside and told my husband to take it down on his way to work the next morning. but the cleaners beat us to it..which was quite surprising, because before the dover rd fire they just ignored the boxes i left outside. then suddenly so on the ball.

:P:yamseng:

This article I like!! I must print then paste them on my neighbours' doors! Yesterday they went overboard by putting their clothes rack directly in front of the lift, totally blocking the lift button!! How to press the button like that?:no: Ooh...I would love to see town council issuing them warning letters... :dunno::dancingqueen:

OMG hw come got such ppls put their clothes so near to the lift they wan other ppl to smell their clothes iszit. :P8|

OMG hw come got such ppls put their clothes so near to the lift they wan other ppl to smell their clothes iszit. 8|8|

Beats me :dunno:

The other time someone came to wash the corridors and my neighbours don't even bothered to put their clothes inside the house....in the end the water just splashed all over their clothes....i was thinking then what for wash clothes right? Might as well ask the man to shun bian wash for them using the powerful hose..

Some more they still can wear it after the clothes dried.....wear liao not itchy meh?!?! I mean, don't wash less dirty than wash liao hang outside and kena dirty water right? Duno what they thinking.....siao one...

obviously the town councils and hdb doesnt give a **** about this - like what the author said - until someone dies then take action.

dies from fighting neighbours, trip and fell with the bamboo poke thru the throat...or burnt to death from a simple arson done by a disgruntled neighbour(quite common hor).

obviously the town councils and hdb doesnt give a **** about this - like what the author said - until someone dies then take action.

dies from fighting neighbours, trip and fell with the bamboo poke thru the throat...or burnt to death from a simple arson done by a disgruntled neighbour(quite common hor).

Ahahahahaha... :dunno:

Air, maybe you can snap snap and send to stomp.

Actually I got a very strong urge to do so...but my floor only got 4 units and 3units hang their clothes at the corridor so if their clothes make it to headlines, they sure confim guarantee know it's me right? haha....i still wana live there a few years leh...i dun want to make my life miserable....now can only lun...

I waiting for my MP to come my house shake hands, then he can see for hiimself and hopefully give some form of "warning" to them abt creating fire hazard thingy... :dancingqueen:

Edited by Air

Yesterday they went overboard by putting their clothes rack directly in front of the lift, totally blocking the lift button!! How to press the button like that?!!

Suggest town council install "Lost and Found" notice board at each void deck.

If ppl leave things on public areas, simply relocate them to the notice board. Will be real interesting to see undies pinned up there, and see who claims them.

Alternatively.. if ppl hang clothes to dry outside.. paste a sign.. "Gurung Kuni pls help yrself" in their language.

Last time.. we fear ppl steal shoes from shoe rack outside.. now.. sigh.. where are the mischevious kids..

No use one b4 MP come and shake hand they will quickly keep their clothes once he left all the national flag will be back. :bow:

My Bro new neighbour also veri crazy one, not only he put the plants along the corridor and he even place a unused motorbike at the side of the wall so dangereous don knw still have petrol inside bo? (My Bro stay at 10 flr). :):bow::bow::(

Spore still have alot of unconsiderate neighbour whose always wan to maximise their space. :no:

No use one b4 MP come and shake hand they will quickly keep their clothes once he left all the national flag will be back. :deal:

My Bro new neighbour also veri crazy one, not only he put the plants along the corridor and he even place a unused motorbike at the side of the wall so dangereous don knw still have petrol inside bo? (My Bro stay at 10 flr). :good:8|:deal::P

Spore still have alot of unconsiderate neighbour whose always wan to maximise their space. :(

Wah motor?!? I think even put bicycle also take up alot of space liao...some more motor so big...collect even ore dust....some ppl just like to collect things and make things luan luan one lor...dun understand why...

Maximise space? Even not their space also want to use...

Wah motor?!? I think even put bicycle also take up alot of space liao...some more motor so big...collect even ore dust....some ppl just like to collect things and make things luan luan one lor...dun understand why...

Maximise space? Even not their space also want to use...

Yeah we were shocked when we saw the motorcycle beside the wall, first thing came into our mind was hw he pushed the bike up to ten floor whereas the lift stop at 11 floor.

My Bro can only shake his head and said suai to have this kind of neighbour wat if fire hw. :deal:

As long the common area outstide their hse they will claim to be their lor, u will find it common where u are staying in those long corridor flat. Everybody trying to chop their space by hanging their clothes. :deal:

Yeah we were shocked when we saw the motorcycle beside the wall, first thing came into our mind was hw he pushed the bike up to ten floor whereas the lift stop at 11 floor.

My Bro can only shake his head and said suai to have this kind of neighbour wat if fire hw. :P

As long the common area outstide their hse they will claim to be their lor, u will find it common where u are staying in those long corridor flat. Everybody trying to chop their space by hanging their clothes. :deal:

Haiz....if only ppl were more considerate and more conscious of the result of their actions....haiz....then again...if only if only if only....if only i knew the numbers for toto, i would hv been rich now, stay home kiao kar....in other words, impossible... :deal: