Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wilberforce

:: J&a Lovenest @ Jalan Membina ::

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi lavendery, u're too modest. saw ur blog and the decor is nice :( how much did ur reno cost u? the clipsal switch is cool... any feedback on the usage?

Thanks, its just simple reno only cos we didn't engage ID, its only main contractor. My reno cost me around ~25K.

The clipsal switch is only good when it comes to night time, cos its easier to locate for the switches due to the LED light :curse:

If i'm not wrong, the clipsal neo switches (including heater switch, phone socket, power socket) cost around ~$500 for the entire house.

Hi Lavendery

Is your vanity top has concrete support?

Also your kitchen sink concrete support?

If so, how is it?

So far so good??

HAPPY

My MasterBedRm toilet vanity top do not have concrete support.

Only my kitchen sink has the concrete support. Hmm, having concrete sink support has its own cons and pros. Advantage is it can definitely last. Disadvantage is u need to find matching homo tiles to blend in well with your kitchen laminate, so that it won't look so concrete and ugly.

Initially i also wanted my MasterBedroom toilet to have the concrete support too, but we wanted suspense vanity top. So we have to give up have concrete support. To make it last longer, i insisited for the vanity cabinet door to be those type of outdated ugly aluminium PVC sliding door, at least it can last longer :jawdrop:

Edited by lavendery

Yes, I am going for concrete suppot for toilet vanity top.

I dont know how it looks like, need id to draw out the 3d for me.

Also, the pvc sliding already outdated...will choose darker colour cos' white will turn yellowish.

Initially i also wanted my MasterBedroom toilet to have the concrete support too, but we wanted suspense vanity top. So we have to give up have concrete support. To make it last longer, i insisited for the vanity cabinet door to be those type of outdated ugly aluminium PVC sliding door, at least it can last longer :)

hi there

I'll be at JM too; blk 25B.

Know its about time to lookout for ID, however, I've got no idea how to start............ need some advise.....

hi there

Know its about time to lookout for ID, however, I've got no idea how to start............ need some advise.....

hi bobo_girl, welcome to reno talk! this forum is very useful for getting plenty of ideas and advice since most of us have experience looking for ID or started reno. for me, the most impt factor in confirming an ID is establishing reliability. it will be good if someone u know can recommend u an ID.

i went to a few ID shops in IMM to get a few quotes, just to be very safe. sad to say, the IDs that i approached were not helpful in any way... they asked me what i wanted instead of suggesting ideas. during quotation, some of them didn't even include all the ideas and quote became unrealistic. quite a waste of time, i must say.

the next best alternative is to look thru this forum since most of us have posted pix. see which designs and budget suits you and from there, you can shortlist a few IDs. when are you collecting your keys? i started sourcing in end Oct, even though i'm collecting keys end Jan. very kiasu, but i think its better to have more reaction time... all the best to you in your hunt!

hehehe, i'm starting to sound like a naggy old woman :unsure:

maybe you want to consider going through deco magazines yourself, grab ideas from here and the internet, consolidate them and see how you want your home to look like

then look for a main contractor to do everything for you

the only difference is ID gives you the 3D perspective but a main contractor does no drawings

by doing all these, you can save about 10% of the reno cost :yamseng:

Wilbertforce your 3D drawing very nice leh!:furious:! i like your masterbedroom!:P mine is at Blk 27A Jalan membina.. also 85sqm.. but y urs seems bigger than ours.. maybe its the layout??

hope you will post more pics of reno!! !!

Hi BOO

Take your time to source for contractor.

Do not rush.

Initially I also blur blur, anything id (from past sourcing) said, I just nod head.

But one thing to bear in mind, never sign first.

Bring home the quotation and read thru carefully.

And I am sure after a few quotation, you will roughly know what you really want.

But, do write down the final items you need to rrenovate.

So that it will be easy to compare quotation.

Good Luck!!

HAPPY

hi there

Wilbertforce your 3D drawing very nice leh!:curse:! i like your masterbedroom!:D mine is at Blk 27A Jalan membina.. also 85sqm.. but y urs seems bigger than ours.. maybe its the layout??

hope you will post more pics of reno!! :dunno:

hi jasch, thx for your compliments :) actually my home is much smaller but i'm not sure why it looks bigger in pix. just saw ur t-blog... really love the floral laminates! ur kitchen is :)

will post more pix when reno starts in feb :yamseng:

Hi Wilberforce, I noticed that your reno period is very short, especially considering the CNY break for most workers. Did you have to pay extra to speed up the job?

I gather that your reno cost itself is 38k? It is on the high side for 85sqm. Did you choose expensive materials for flooring, counter top, carpentary...etc?

hi jasch, thx for your compliments :) actually my home is much smaller but i'm not sure why it looks bigger in pix. just saw ur t-blog... really love the floral laminates! ur kitchen is :jawdrop:

will post more pix when reno starts in feb :notti:

Hi Wilberforce, I noticed that your reno period is very short, especially considering the CNY break for most workers. Did you have to pay extra to speed up the job?

I gather that your reno cost itself is 38k? It is on the high side for 85sqm. Did you choose expensive materials for flooring, counter top, carpentary...etc?

Hi Max383, $38k was the preliminary quote. I have since added items and it now stands at $42k (including $2.2k for electrical works) :jawdrop: I didn't choose any expensive materials (homo tiles only), but i have carpentry for all rooms.

The workers started reno 31 Jan but stopped work on 4 Feb.. resuming next Tue. I didn't pay extra to speed up work but wont know if it is built in :notti:

Wow...thats really quite ex...I think. Have u compared quotes from other IDs?

Mine is 4rm resale at 100sqm. We are doing just about everything including hacking and shifting of a wall to enlarge living room, and hacking service balcony walls to merge with kitchen. Homo tiles for living, dining, kitchen and toilets, and parquet for all three bedrooms, but no carpentary work on two common rooms. All these reno works cost me about $28k.... plus aircon, lights, electricals, hob, hood, heaters, curtains, mixers, tub, furniture, TV... all in.... total damage is estimated to be about 43k (reno still in progress).

If your cost fo 42k is just on the reno... and the only key difference is the carpentary work and rewiring... then it is a lot of difference indeed....14k higher from mine.

Mine also on break for CNY now... but only starting reno again on 18 Feb. I am surprise your contractor can start work again so soon on next tue... usually they will break for at least 10 days.

Hi Max383, $38k was the preliminary quote. I have since added items and it now stands at $42k (including $2.2k for electrical works) :jawdrop: I didn't choose any expensive materials (homo tiles only), but i have carpentry for all rooms.

The workers started reno 31 Jan but stopped work on 4 Feb.. resuming next Tue. I didn't pay extra to speed up work but wont know if it is built in :notti:

:jawdrop:

Wow...thats really quite ex...I think. Have u compared quotes from other IDs?

Mine is 4rm resale at 100sqm. We are doing just about everything including hacking and shifting of a wall to enlarge living room, and hacking service balcony walls to merge with kitchen. Homo tiles for living, dining, kitchen and toilets, and parquet for all three bedrooms, but no carpentary work on two common rooms. All these reno works cost me about $28k.... plus aircon, lights, electricals, hob, hood, heaters, curtains, mixers, tub, furniture, TV... all in.... total damage is estimated to be about 43k (reno still in progress).

If your cost fo 42k is just on the reno... and the only key difference is the carpentary work and rewiring... then it is a lot of difference indeed....14k higher from mine.

Mine also on break for CNY now... but only starting reno again on 18 Feb. I am surprise your contractor can start work again so soon on next tue... usually they will break for at least 10 days.

Hi Max383, I did go ID-shopping at Weiken, City Design, U Home and G-Plan. Very bad experience... G-Plan didn't get back at all, City Design lost our floor plan when we went back for 2nd meeting and claimed that it's with ID who is on leave :notti: , Weiken and U-Home didn't take note of our requirements properly but quotations were around $27k. We were impressed with Imposed Design coz he showed us 3D drawings at 2nd meeting and proposed ideas, unlike the rest who didn't even hear us properly. We felt its impt to get someone reliable for such a major project so disregarded the higher price and went ahead. We were also too lazy to scout around :notti:

Wah... yours is so much cheaper when I didn't even have parquet. However, I have platform for mbr ($1.7k), false ceilings for living/dining, bedrooms and master bathroom ($2.3k), my study table and cabinet ($2.2k), wardrobe at BR 2 ($1.3k). But total only $7.5k here :)

My furniture, fittings and aircon have easily set me back by another $18k so total damage is ard $60k. We told our ID we want to move by 9 March coz its super auspicious date for our zodiac so I think he is trying very hard. Do you have a T-Blog? I love to see home transformations :)

Haha... honestly... I am too lazy to start a T-blog... just want to get my reno done and over with and get everything set up.. and start enjoying my new home. Guess it is always worthwhile to pay for good service and peace of mind.

Many people we know engaged designer only to have their ideas clash.... err... did I say ideas? More like egos. :notti: Worst case is if owners start to compromise to please the ID.... cause they are the ones who will live there eventually... and they have to be 100% happy with any idea.

In our case... we shop around (at least 10 IDs)... did not go for the cheapest but one of the lower quotes that we feel comfortable with. We ruled out anyone that seemingly try to pull a 'fast one' on us. We did not require IDs to give us a lot of ideas... actually... after talking to so many... it helps to correct our ideas and make us more wise to the game and look out for ridiculous quotes. Eventually we learn and know exactly what we need. So we don't have 3D drawings (I wish I have though)... in fact, I did some of the "drawings" myself... haha. We just wanted a contractor that can execute without issues and delays.

At the end of the day, its a leap of faith.... cause even if we pay more, there is really no garuantee on how our reno willl turn out.... but so far so good. :jawdrop:

Edited by Max383

Haha... honestly... I am too lazy to start a T-blog... just want to get my reno done and over with and get everything set up.. and start enjoying my new home. Guess it is always worthwhile to pay for good service and peace of mind.

Many people we know engaged designer only to have their ideas clash.... err... did I say ideas? More like egos. :lol: Worst case is if owners start to compromise to please the ID.... cause they are the ones who will live there eventually... and they have to be 100% happy with any idea.

In our case... we shop around (at least 10 IDs)... did not go for the cheapest but one of the lower quotes that we feel comfortable with. We ruled out anyone that seemingly try to pull a 'fast one' on us. We did not require IDs to give us a lot of ideas... actually... after talking to so many... it helps to correct our ideas and make us more wise to the game and look out for ridiculous quotes. Eventually we learn and know exactly what we need. So we don't have 3D drawings (I wish I have though)... in fact, I did some of the "drawings" myself... haha. We just wanted a contractor that can execute without issues and delays.

At the end of the day, its a leap of faith.... cause even if we pay more, there is really no garuantee on how our reno willl turn out.... but so far so good. :lol:

Btw... have you thought of how you will deco the place? We just came back from a short holiday to Shenzhen in Dec.... been there many times... great food, great shopping. But this time, we also went to the oil painting village that is suppose to be famous as they supply oil paintings to hotels all over the world. Rows and rows of shops selling all sorts of paintings. We bought a three-piece oil painting that combines to be about 70cm x 140cm for our living room....and it costs only S$40!! Easily would cost over 10x if it is in Singapore. We just taped it up and check it in like a luggage and it survived the journey!! Haha.... So if you are thinking of taking a short holiday... give ShenZhen a try!

sentiments exactly, bro... i cannot guarantee how it will turn out even after paying more but at least we can click with the ID, else this process is gonna be even more tiring and painful. we did foresee clashes of ego with those IDs who are so half-hearted n not hearing us. however, i do admit that after scouring thru pages n pages of t-blog, there are fabulous IDs out there whom we have missed out in our shortlisting process :D

we do not have time n talent so having the 3D drawings certainly helped us to make furniture n fittings purchases a lot easier 8| decor will be a headache coz we wanted a low maintenance home. painting is the best option but it is ridiculously priced in sg n we're not traveling until our honeymoon in oct. may just hang our 3-pc wedding portrait... haha. $40 is dirt cheap! great buy there! :)

btw, when did u start ur reno and expected date to complete?