Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Zc31

Tile Overlay

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

haha.. you should have a budget, maybe you might wanna see if ur budget allows you to hack. If it does, go ahead! If its kinda tight, then you gotta make a choice. :)

Hi to all of you, my advice for everyone is that:

Yes, overlaying will be cheaper as you need not pay for the hacking of the existing tiles. Bu the problem with overlaying is that cement does not stick well on a smooth surface even with chemical adhesive added so theres a possibility of tiles popping out prematurely. You've to decide between saving a thousand plus dlooars & risk having tiles popping out here & there in a year or two or paying a fraction more of the overall amount & having the peace of mind.

Design is all about aesthetics & practicality. Do what you've to. Make the right choices & don't occur extra costs for yourselves.

Even if you folks would like to overlay your existing floor tiles using laminte, I would 100% advise you folks to go for Supreme Laminate Flooring. But before you do overlaying of laminate for the section or place where you wants to cover the tiles, I'll always advice you to hack & cement screed the place first then you lay the laminate flooring.

You also have to make sure that if you're going for hacking, you've to find out the area you're staying in, the timing for hacking & laying of new floor tiles from what time to what time. This is to prevent your neighbours calling the town council & getting yourself fined for nothing as certain neighbourhood area only allows wet works / masonry works to be done during 9am-5pm only.

Edited by joe_ling

Actually I overlay my both toilet flooring. And I overlay my kitchen wall tiles too. Its a new flat froom HDB but the block was built ard 6-7yrs ago. Dont think there will be a problem. As in for applefreak's case. 20yrs is a long time. I kinda agree with what phoniex said, ur house is telling u... its time for reno. :P

*Sometimes worrying too much prevents you from having what you want.

hi can you pm me how much u spend on overlayint of ur both toilets? am thinkg of doing so also.

hi can you pm me how much u spend on overlayint of ur both toilets? am thinkg of doing so also.

Since is already >5yrs, better to hack them than overlay to be more reliable.

i also wish ...but budget constraints.so cannot afford to hack leh....

dont renovation ur toilet first looo....

when got enough funds then reno them... MBR and common toilet can be separate reno if you want to. You can ask the contractor or IDs to delay the toilet first. But still it will be very dusty.

If not u can drop other fixture items for renovation then fill it into the hacking on ur both toilets. Like cabinets / tv console or others which wont affect much during renovation even you move into the house. Then slowly upgrade on ur other fixtures.

dont renovation ur toilet first looo....

when got enough funds then reno them... MBR and common toilet can be separate reno if you want to. You can ask the contractor or IDs to delay the toilet first. But still it will be very dusty.

If not u can drop other fixture items for renovation then fill it into the hacking on ur both toilets. Like cabinets / tv console or others which wont affect much during renovation even you move into the house. Then slowly upgrade on ur other fixtures.

cannot leh...i tried to even clean the toilet but no use.the stains are too much to clean (i bought resale) and dont knw hw the previous owner use...use until shortcircuit for the bath tub and the water jet at bathtub all stained....Super Grossed...until i dont even step into MBR toilet at all. Temporary using the common bathroom

cannot leh...i tried to even clean the toilet but no use.the stains are too much to clean (i bought resale) and dont knw hw the previous owner use...use until shortcircuit for the bath tub and the water jet at bathtub all stained....Super Grossed...until i dont even step into MBR toilet at all. Temporary using the common bathroom

that sounds so gross !!