Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Zc31

Tile Overlay

:dancingqueen: Would it be feasible for a 3yr old resale?

Am thinking of doing it for whole house except toilets.

But also wondering if got alot of negative effects like tiles botching up, easily crack? :notti:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
:dribble: Would it be feasible for a 3yr old resale?

Am thinking of doing it for whole house except toilets.

But also wondering if got alot of negative effects like tiles botching up, easily crack? :good:

whats your current tile size? fr what i understand, if u overlay over big big tiles like 600x600 or 800x800, then its not advisable. chances of popping is higher. if flat is new, less then 8 yrs and tiles size are smaller 300x300..overlay should be ok. (as advised by several contractors & id).

actually a bulk of the reno money is spent on flooring. and its not sometime u wanna do every few yrs once :notti: i think more advisable to hack and lay if your current tile size are big ones...thats what i keep telling myself, just pain ONE time! (ouch! :notti:).

if not nextime might have problems, thats even worse!

i'd go for hack and relay as well

popping tiles, as i have learnt the hard way, does not apply to hollow tiles

my previous place's tiles popped after 20yrs, with no sign at all

just went pop pop pop one night 8|

also, you'll never know if the previous owner offended his contractor and the tiler put something under the tiles :notti:

sound really paranoid but i'm a paranoid person :dribble:

i'd go for hack and relay as well

popping tiles, as i have learnt the hard way, does not apply to hollow tiles

my previous place's tiles popped after 20yrs, with no sign at all

just went pop pop pop one night :P

also, you'll never know if the previous owner offended his contractor and the tiler put something under the tiles :dunno:

sound really paranoid but i'm a paranoid person 8|

hmm.. after 20 yrs is quite a long time. your hse telling u time for reno!! :notti: juz kidding..

so how did u deal with the problems of the tiles popping? i have no clue what popping actually means... is it like cement loosen then it juz comes out of the floor? or does it really pop and crack?

Wah ttz really bad man.

But i dun think i will live in my hse for 20yrs.

Think i'll jux laminate my mbr. Safer right?

imagine firecracker-loud sounds in the middle of the night

then suddenly the tiles just exploded and shards flew all over the place

that's how bad it was for my case

check out this post in my blog for the scary pix http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?au...;showentry=3305

:dunno: OMG! :D that looks really bad and scary!

was yours overlayed? were these hdb original tiles? this looks dangerous, if its hdb original tiles, even after 20 yrs they should be answerable for it?? so what actually caused it???

Wah ttz really bad man.

But i dun think i will live in my hse for 20yrs.

Think i'll jux laminate my mbr. Safer right?

laminated overlay? shouldn't be any problem i think... i'd be doing that too.

i'm overlaying my kitchen n toilets as well. we've checked and no hollow tiles, hopefully no problem like applefreak. but for my living and dining, i'd be hacking and relaying 600x600 tiles.

:sport-smiley-003: OMG! :dancingqueen: that looks really bad and scary!

was yours overlayed? were these hdb original tiles? this looks dangerous, if its hdb original tiles, even after 20 yrs they should be answerable for it?? so what actually caused it???

not overlayed, was laid by our own contractor

hdb said the tiles are too dry so it popped

read somewhere in this forum that old ceramic tiles needed to be soaked in water before laying

maybe the contractor didn't soak long enough :jawdrop::dribble:

guess that's why i don't encourage overlaying coz we don't know whether the original tiles are in good condition or not !! !!

not overlayed, was laid by our own contractor

hdb said the tiles are too dry so it popped

read somewhere in this forum that old ceramic tiles needed to be soaked in water before laying

maybe the contractor didn't soak long enough !! !!

guess that's why i don't encourage overlaying coz we don't know whether the original tiles are in good condition or not :sport-smiley-003::dancingqueen:

oic... ok... didn't know old ceramic tiles gotta soak in water before laying. thats sounds really troublesome.

:sport-smiley-003: OMG! :dancingqueen: that looks really bad and scary!

laminated overlay? shouldn't be any problem i think... i'd be doing that too.

i'm overlaying my kitchen n toilets as well. we've checked and no hollow tiles, hopefully no problem like applefreak. but for my living and dining, i'd be hacking and relaying 600x600 tiles.

I dun think overlay toilet is a good idea. Rear ard that the wetness may pre-accelerate the popping.

I dun think overlay toilet is a good idea. Rear ard that the wetness may pre-accelerate the popping.

i think toilet overlay is very common rite? well, i think it all boils down to workmanship, maybe a wee bit of luck too? i know friends who have revamp bathrooms only and after many yrs like no problem.

hmm... anyways, i think its only the shower area that gets wet, since there is a curb there. very most if really goes popping, i'd juz have that part replaced lor. *cross my fingers* and hope that doesn't happen though.

Actually I overlay my both toilet flooring. And I overlay my kitchen wall tiles too. Its a new flat froom HDB but the block was built ard 6-7yrs ago. Dont think there will be a problem. As in for applefreak's case. 20yrs is a long time. I kinda agree with what phoniex said, ur house is telling u... its time for reno. :dancingqueen:

*Sometimes worrying too much prevents you from having what you want.

hehehe, more like the house is telling us to shift

the tiles popped when we decided to delay the shifting date !!

hdb tiles a bit unreliable right?

my cousin's kitchen tiles popped after she stayed in her unit for about 2yrs !!

think i'll just save up and hack my bathroom tiles when i have enough :dancingqueen: