Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Monkey

Maid Abuse (disturbing Youtube Videos)

Guest our-home

The poor baby really, really didn't deserve all that physical abuse. My heart ached watching that video on the news. Probably the maid was taking it out on him coz of something that happened between her and the employer. Anyway everything will be revealed when investigations are done just like those maids that killed the elderly women when everyone else was out. Mentally unsound/ill-treated maids?

This is what I found out recently: Many well-off Indonesian families in Jakarta including those living in apartments have different helpers for different purposes. For eg. one nanny for one infant, one nanny for the toddler, one maid to clean/cook for the family, one driver, etc. The more well-off the family, the more helpers they hire. I've seen some families of 5 with 2-3 nannies and 1 maid in tow at the malls there. When the children are older, maybe 10 years and above, they don't have a "personal" nanny. Basically, the helpers are trained to take care of different duties: the nannies don't do any housework except care for the infant/child and the maid does the housework. My friends there tell me that the Indonesian maids get a culture shock when they come over to S'pore to work. They have to care for the baby or elderly and do housework too. Their way of life there is slow, relaxed and laid-back compared to us here, so I think maybe some of them can't adjust or maybe they need more time to get used to the routine.

I had a maid for one year when my daughter was born, then gave up coz she couldn't cope. Didn't have any mom or mom-in-law to help out, so quit my job and have been a homemaker for 15 years. No regrets but not an easy decision to make and definitely not applicable to everyone. One must be prepared for the sacrifices in terms of money and personal development.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation