Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sanjing

Urgent ! Need A Network Expert For Lan Consulting

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone is familiar with any professional personnel with expertise in Local Area Network. What happen was that I bought a resale flat, and I realised the previous owner set up a LAN in the house. There is 2 single point LAN switch and 1 double point LAN switch in each of the 3 rooms. I am interested in re-using them. But I dunno how. My electrician has no idea too.

I hope someone here can refer me to someone who can help me.

Can either email me at sanjing07@yahoo.com or PM me. Thanks in advance.

Edited by sanjing

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone is familiar with any professional personnel with expertise in Local Area Network. What happen was that I bought a resale flat, and I realised the previous owner set up a LAN in the house. There is 2 single point LAN switch and 1 double point LAN switch in each of the 3 rooms. I am interested in re-using them. But I dunno how. My electrician has no idea too.

I think probably your two single LAN points are connected to either ports on the double LAN point. IE. A to C, B to C. THe only way to confirm is to either get a cable tester or use a laptop/network device to test for connectivity.

I think probably your two single LAN points are connected to either ports on the double LAN point. IE. A to C, B to C. THe only way to confirm is to either get a cable tester or use a laptop/network device to test for connectivity.

Hi nautilus, my place is going to undergo renov soon. How do I use a laptop to test for connectivity? just plug in?

Hi nautilus, my place is going to undergo renov soon. How do I use a laptop to test for connectivity? just plug in?

You need 2 laptops to check for connectivity plus one straight and one cross cable.

I would suggest that you redo the wiring during your reno as the previous owner probably had a router/switch in the room with the double point, and he extended the cables to 2 other rooms with the single points.

just call up those computer technician in ST classified ads - around $30-$50

just call up those computer technician in ST classified ads - around $30-$50

Those network points must be in there for years already since this is a resale unit. Could have been wired long before wireless network were made popular.

My sugestion is to ask the contractor to remove all these lan points. Get the latest wireless G network at 108G to replace these old 100G lan points.

Those network points must be in there for years already since this is a resale unit. Could have been wired long before wireless network were made popular.

My sugestion is to ask the contractor to remove all these lan points. Get the latest wireless G network at 108G to replace these old 100G lan points.

But you must bear in mind that 108G is just theoretical. You'll be lucky to get half the speed. 100base-T or gigabit are much faster and stable as well.

But you must bear in mind that 108G is just theoretical. You'll be lucky to get half the speed. 100base-T or gigabit are much faster and stable as well.

ya...depending on house layout...certain area might not have any signal at all.

Do you mean the house came with network switches? Or are these just LAN sockets? I would be really surprised if you have switches pre-installed. You could physically trace where they lead to. If I'm guessing correctly, you have sockets in each room, which should all lead to a router somewhere, possibly in the living room - can you see if you have 3-4 LAN cables coming out at some place (where you will need to place the router)?

Do you mean the house came with network switches? Or are these just LAN sockets? I would be really surprised if you have switches pre-installed. You could physically trace where they lead to. If I'm guessing correctly, you have sockets in each room, which should all lead to a router somewhere, possibly in the living room - can you see if you have 3-4 LAN cables coming out at some place (where you will need to place the router)?

Can buy a wreless router with switches. For mobile device like PDA, Laptop can connect via wave GHz while stationary devices like network printer can hook on to the cable. Of course if you know computer devices automation, you can even do control on windows binds control, bla bla bla. So many things

Hi, unless your house is ultra huge..you might want to consider the N series wireless router. These router can span over long distance with minimum lost in signal strength. I am currently using a Pre-N Belkin Wireless router in my 5rm flat and I find it quite good as the distance between my living room and bedroom is separated with a couple of walls, I still receive 3bar out of 5bar (Signal Strength). :notti:

Why don't you give your seller a call and ask him how he use to wire up?

Edited by popcorn