Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hobbes187

Budgeting For A New Home

Hi all,

I just got my Sengkang EA flat in Jan and I'm in the process of planning the reno. I have signed with an ID last wk end. Now I'm trying to draw up a budget for the smaller items and hope you guys can let me know what I missed out.

Kitchen Budget $500

- Sink & tap FOC by ID

- Hob and hood FOC by ID

- Accessories like hanging baskets, towel bars etc

- Rice cooker

Toilet budget $1000

- 2 x W.C FOC by ID

- 2 x sink FOC by ID

- Reuse HDB taps for kitchen toilet FOC

- 2 x instant water heater

- 2 x accessories

- Taps for master bedroom toilet

TV, washing machine & fridge budget $3500

Electrical works budget $1500

Lighting budget $1500

Bed and frame budget $2500

Sofa, dining table and coffee table budget $3000

Air con FOC

- Mitsubishi sys 3 non-invertor part of reno package

In case you guys are wondering, my reno package cost $38k incl hacking and relay both toilets and kitchen wall & floor tiles, full house floor tiles, shelter feature, MBR toilet vanity cabinet, MBR shower screen w/sliding glass door, replace bi-fold doors for both toilets, wardrobe for MBR and bedroom 2, TV console, full height shoe cabinet, whole house window grilles, casement windows for balcony and service yard, kitchen cabinet ~34ft, replacement of all pipes with copper pipes, false ceiling in living, dining, foyer and MBR & hacking of study room walls. Plus all the other usual stuffs like kerbs, chemical washing etc...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

I just got my Sengkang EA flat in Jan and I'm in the process of planning the reno. I have signed with an ID last wk end. Now I'm trying to draw up a budget for the smaller items and hope you guys can let me know what I missed out.

Kitchen Budget $500 - how about microwave, oven etc? if you don't cook often, you can totally skip the hanging stuff

- Sink & tap FOC by ID

- Hob and hood FOC by ID

- Accessories like hanging baskets, towel bars etc

- Rice cooker

Toilet budget $1000

- 2 x W.C FOC by ID

- 2 x sink FOC by ID

- Reuse HDB taps for kitchen toilet FOC

- 2 x instant water heater

- 2 x accessories

- Taps for master bedroom toilet

TV, washing machine & fridge budget $3500 - what kind of tv are you looking at? $3.5k is not a lot unless you are looking at the lower range for all 3 appliances

Electrical works budget $1500

Lighting budget $1500

Bed and frame budget $2500

Sofa, dining table and coffee table budget $3000

Air con FOC

- Mitsubishi sys 3 non-invertor part of reno package

In case you guys are wondering, my reno package cost $38k incl hacking and relay both toilets and kitchen wall & floor tiles, full house floor tiles, shelter feature, MBR toilet vanity cabinet, MBR shower screen w/sliding glass door, replace bi-fold doors for both toilets, wardrobe for MBR and bedroom 2, TV console, full height shoe cabinet, whole house window grilles, casement windows for balcony and service yard, kitchen cabinet ~34ft, replacement of all pipes with copper pipes, false ceiling in living, dining, foyer and MBR & hacking of study room walls. Plus all the other usual stuffs like kerbs, chemical washing etc...

actually for the smaller stuff it's really up to individual

for some it's a must-have while the same thing for others is a can-do-without :dribble:

Applefreaks: I'm looking for a 37" HD ready TV. Should be able to find one for about $1600-1800. Fridge will be looking at $1000 while WM another $700 so $3500. I'm not so much into the whole home entertainment system so I wont need speakers. Yup I dont cook often but I tot the hanging stuff will be good to have cos they wont be easy to DIY in the future. Microwave prob someone will give it to me as housewarming present :)

Yang Guo: You are rite, I missed out on fans. Will have 2 ceiling fans one in living rm another in dining. MBR planning on standing one. Other 2 rooms temporarily will be empty. Think need about $500 for these?

Hmm Toilet accessories don't have to be around 1k unless you want the more expensive ranges I spent less than that for both sets of accessories.

1 Towel rack is about 20-30plus for eg. so usually most accessories are around that range.

Instant water heaters range for 100-200 unless buying a big storage heater.

Mirrors range from 28 to 40 plus for small sizes usually found in common toilets. For bigger sizes meant for MBR, its about 100 plus and above depending on how big you want the mirror. Gives you a rough idea. Perhaps you might want to re-allocate some left over expenses from your toilet budget for soft furnishings too.

Applefreaks: I'm looking for a 37" HD ready TV. Should be able to find one for about $1600-1800. Fridge will be looking at $1000 while WM another $700 so $3500. I'm not so much into the whole home entertainment system so I wont need speakers. Yup I dont cook often but I tot the hanging stuff will be good to have cos they wont be easy to DIY in the future. Microwave prob someone will give it to me as housewarming present :notti:

Yang Guo: You are rite, I missed out on fans. Will have 2 ceiling fans one in living rm another in dining. MBR planning on standing one. Other 2 rooms temporarily will be empty. Think need about $500 for these?

erm 37" like a bit small for living room? :)

yup with the IT show next week this price should be gotten with no problem, with a free dvd player also :yamseng:

oh yah i keep thinking about WM = washer + dryer so thought $3.5k not enough :notti:

best way of going about this is getting those you need first

then get whatever you want with the leftover budget

difficult to budget like this cause most prob your one budget will eat into another

esp if you see a light that you MUST have but bust the whole lighting budget

i believe in getting the one that you fell in love with rather than look at the compromise everyday and dui sim gua :)

Hmm Toilet accessories don't have to be around 1k unless you want the more expensive ranges I spent less than that for both sets of accessories.

1 Towel rack is about 20-30plus for eg. so usually most accessories are around that range.

Instant water heaters range for 100-200 unless buying a big storage heater.

Mirrors range from 28 to 40 plus for small sizes usually found in common toilets. For bigger sizes meant for MBR, its about 100 plus and above depending on how big you want the mirror. Gives you a rough idea. Perhaps you might want to re-allocate some left over expenses from your toilet budget for soft furnishings too.

Oh ok... I also think I'm overbudgeting for toilets. My reno package includes the vanity cabinet with full height mirror in MBR toilet already so I guess wont be needing many things in that toilet.

For heater I think a good 707 instant heater about $200 rite?

erm 37" like a bit small for living room? :)

yup with the IT show next week this price should be gotten with no problem, with a free dvd player also :yamseng:

oh yah i keep thinking about WM = washer + dryer so thought $3.5k not enough :notti:

best way of going about this is getting those you need first

then get whatever you want with the leftover budget

difficult to budget like this cause most prob your one budget will eat into another

esp if you see a light that you MUST have but bust the whole lighting budget

i believe in getting the one that you fell in love with rather than look at the compromise everyday and dui sim gua :)

Although mine is an EA, somehow the distance from my sofa to the console is not that far away cos I want to avoid a beam overhead. Thus if I buy too big a TV, I think I will get dizzy. Anyway I'm watching a 32" at my parents' place (EM in bishan) currently and I think its ok for me.

Anyway the TV I plan to get end of the yr cos I'm not moving in so soon. Reno only starting in May.

oh okay then there's a lot of time for you to decide on what you really need

my viewing distance is around 3m, watching 42" and it's just nice

if too far no point getting HD liao coz can't tell the difference :)

which vale are you in? me also in SK, an EA as well :)

if too far no point getting HD liao coz can't tell the difference :lol:

which vale are you in? me also in SK, an EA as well :lol:

I'm in compassvale drive. 5 min from compasspoint and SK mrt. You?

if too far no point getting HD liao coz can't tell the difference :sport-smiley-004:

which vale are you in? me also in SK, an EA as well :P

You just validated my need for a 42", mine also about 3m :P

Ceiling Fan also depends if you are getting those with lights. With lights and without lights (and the number of lights) can mean quite a different in price. I installed ceiling fan/w lights in all the rooms coz dun wan to find space to put a standing fan. :P

For heater I think a good 707 instant heater about $200 rite?

When you are budgeting for things like heater/ceiling fan/lights, do remember unless your ID will install FOC for you, the prices quoted by the retailer usually EXCLUDES installation and electrical point. If assuming you have the points, the standard per item installation is about $35-$45. Ceiling fans the installer need to know how to balance the fan properly else there will be problem. Also, if ceiling fans without lights and the light is nearby, the lights that is 'behind' the fan may cast 'shaking' shadow.

Yes my ID will install for me FOC and I have the heater pts at both toilets built in by HDB.

As for the fans I wont be getting those with lights but I have ask my ID to design the L-box such that the fan will not cast a shadow when turned on.

Yes my ID will install for me FOC and I have the heater pts at both toilets built in by HDB.

As for the fans I wont be getting those with lights but I have ask my ID to design the L-box such that the fan will not cast a shadow when turned on.

Cool! :notti:

A good heater will be around 100-200 but do check with the salesperson on the flow of hot water coming out.

I bought this mistral heater partly cos of its compact size and partly cos the salesperson said it is a good brand.

But when its installed, I find that the water flow if turned on high pressure, the water is only lukewarm. After much adjustment to the flow, then I find that if turn on low pressure, its hot.

I'm in compassvale drive. 5 min from compasspoint and SK mrt. You?

me on street, just opposite compassvale LRT

if you getting 37", i'd say go for a VGA

think less than $1.5k can get liao

if wait until year end, prob can get sub $1k :notti: