Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
simeiz

Safety Lock For Sliding Window

Sorry for digging up this old thread. But I think this is relevant. Was approached by a door-to-door sales person, and demonstrated how easily he can slide open my newly installed sliding windows and sliding window grills even though they are locked! What a horror it was to me, but he wanted $50 per lock. He was also seriously pressing for a quick sale and said must do it today kind of thing. I brushed him off, and thanks to this thread, I managed to find the locks at $4.00 per lock. Intstalled them myself. You will need some tools to install it. Such as a powered drill, and a rivet gun if you are using rivets.

Where did u get the locks from? And how many locks is needed for each room? Think I may wanna get those locks.. :unsure:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Sorry for digging up this old thread. But I think this is relevant. Was approached by a door-to-door sales person, and demonstrated how easily he can slide open my newly installed sliding windows and sliding window grills even though they are locked! What a horror it was to me, but he wanted $50 per lock. He was also seriously pressing for a quick sale and said must do it today kind of thing. I brushed him off, and thanks to this thread, I managed to find the locks at $4.00 per lock. Intstalled them myself. You will need some tools to install it. Such as a powered drill, and a rivet gun if you are using rivets.

Hello civic2000, would like to ask you exactly how did the salesperson slide your windows open? I have sliding windows that face the corridor and after reading your post am getting a little paranoid :unsure:

As it is, the sliding windows already have a set of latch. I have grilles and they have latches too, that require keys to be opened. $4.00 is not much at all if it can give homeowners a better peace of mind.

could you describe how the salesperson did it?

Where did u get the locks from? And how many locks is needed for each room? Think I may wanna get those locks.. :unsure:

I got the locks from Changi Complex as stated in this thread. Map There is only one hardware store there. You can't miss it. It is on the ground floor. One of the shop houses.

How many locks you need varies. If your windows are the standard 3 panels, each joint of the windows, you will need 1 lock.

Hello civic2000, would like to ask you exactly how did the salesperson slide your windows open? I have sliding windows that face the corridor and after reading your post am getting a little paranoid :unsure:

As it is, the sliding windows already have a set of latch. I have grilles and they have latches too, that require keys to be opened. $4.00 is not much at all if it can give homeowners a better peace of mind.

could you describe how the salesperson did it?

Hi, I was shocked too since my sliding windows and grills all have latches and require keys to open it. What he did was to push and lift up the windows (while still locked) and it is able to disengage from the latch. I asked him to try the grills too, and he did all this within 5-6 secs. I knew immediately this is a problem. The main problem is that, there is some room for movement in the windows and grills. The lock bolts the window panels together securely, and it cannot be lifted up anymore. I use rivets, and it is extremely secure.

I got the locks from Changi Complex as stated in this thread. Map There is only one hardware store there. You can't miss it. It is on the ground floor. One of the shop houses.

How many locks you need varies. If your windows are the standard 3 panels, each joint of the windows, you will need 1 lock.

Okie! Thanx for the address! :D Will go take a look this weekend.. Can ask u for advise if need help on fixing the locks? :unsure:

Hi, I was shocked too since my sliding windows and grills all have latches and require keys to open it. What he did was to push and lift up the windows (while still locked) and it is able to disengage from the latch. I asked him to try the grills too, and he did all this within 5-6 secs. I knew immediately this is a problem. The main problem is that, there is some room for movement in the windows and grills. The lock bolts the window panels together securely, and it cannot be lifted up anymore. I use rivets, and it is extremely secure.

They also did that for one of my customers sliding widows, but when they see the wrought iron grille, they give up cos there is no way they can dismantle that. ;)

Edited by jaskel

They also did that for one of my customers sliding widows, but when they see the wrought iron grille, they give up cos there is no way they can dismantle that. ;)

Haiz.. :( No money to do wrought iron grilles lehz.. :bangwall:

Haiz.. :( No money to do wrought iron grilles lehz.. :bangwall:

Seriously, I think yours don't need to buy.

Seriously, I think yours don't need to buy.

Yup, heard from hubby abt yr little discussion wif him on this today.. We are inclined towards wat u said now.. ;) Btw, he said the colours were very nice! Too bad, haven't went up to see yet.. :P

Yup, heard from hubby abt yr little discussion wif him on this today.. We are inclined towards wat u said now.. ;) Btw, he said the colours were very nice! Too bad, haven't went up to see yet.. :P

I did took some photos...but havn't upload it yet. ;) If we will to meet at your place, I'll show u why u don't need to buy the lock yet.

I did took some photos...but havn't upload it yet. ;) If we will to meet at your place, I'll show u why u don't need to buy the lock yet.

Okie! Let's arrange one day to meet u there.. ;)

not necessary must use wrought iron grilles. i should think just using those 1-piece, non-movable window grilles shld suffice. it's a whole piece, no movable parts, i dun see how anyone outside can do anything to the grille to get in other than to cut it.

hi all. need to seek any advise here.

im currently staying on second floor and has a pretty big balcony (not corridor facing). abt 4m long. currently the house owner installed grills and sliding windows on the balcony wall latch. so, it no longer look balcony-ish and more like an extension of the living room (he also removed the sliding doors at balcony entrance)

we want to put back the balcony sliding doors as well as removing the balcony windows.. this is to create a more outdoor balcony effect.. au naturel.. rain or shine, we are ok. so the issue now is safety leh... since 2nd storey, not sure can hav spiderman climb in from the balcony and breakin...

i dont think sliding doors which locking mechanism is tat secure leh...

any options wld u suggest? get the lock and maintain sliding windows only with no grills? with grills (abit ugly)

Edited by mafacifa

A man just came over to my house to sell this lock as well and also demonstrated how to open the sliding window with a push and my wrought iron gate with this small key that he say can be buy from any hardware shops! Me and my wife was shocked and he wants to sell us this locking device for $55.00 each, 1 window need 2 some more. We thought it was good but **** X so didn't buy it. I went online straight away and found this thread, lucky...else become carrot liao. I will also be checking out these recommended locks at bedok this weekend.....:)