Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

I was asked by some people what are mistakes my ID has done. Actually, very few and minor only. (i.e. wrong placement of some bathroom accessories) I realized that I can prevent mistakes of ID if I am able to visit my flat everyday.

Just a note, if after a week and you see some mistakes already, I urge you to visit your flat everyday while doing the reno. Also always refer to the 3D provided (if any) by your ID and see if it matches what you want.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I was asked by some people what are mistakes my ID has done. Actually, very few and minor only. (i.e. wrong placement of some bathroom accessories) I realized that I can prevent mistakes of ID if I am able to visit my flat everyday.

Just a note, if after a week and you see some mistakes already, I urge you to visit your flat everyday while doing the reno. Also always refer to the 3D provided (if any) by your ID and see if it matches what you want.

Spidey - Nice place you had.

For reno try to visit your place regularly so that things can be in the way you want it to be. if there are miscomm it should be easier to rectify if the mistake is minor.

Mistakes of ID to share with new comers of Bedok Central

1) I made the mistake of signing on the dot for this ID, should have get EVERYTHING in black and white then sign

2) The ID claims they have ISO standard, ie a solid project work plan etc, but it turns out to be a big surprise. As follows

a) Biggest mistakes was the kitchen. during signing on the dot, everthing can, price confirm etc etc. Picture of floor plan as shown

Untitledpicture.png

Nice 3D design, selection of colors etc went ahead. Electrician was called in to lay the necessary wires for gas powered stove. CityGas was called in to route the gas line. Kitchen sink was ordered (ID brought down to shop), everything seem okay. One day suddenly ID called say plumber with her right now at site, OOPS

As you can see, the HDB drain pipe i at corner, thats where HDB 'intend' sink to be. But because of Feng Shui, that location is my 'fire' so the kitchen sink was shifted to as shown where my 'water' space is. This info was made known to the ID. Now, the problem is that the drain pipe from the kitchen sink has to reach across but you can't hack the kitchen floor as it was already tiled. You can't route left where the bomb shelter door is, you can't route upwards because water flow downwards. So the only choice is route right. It will be right infront of the bi-fold service yard door, where the ID propose to build a ramp to protect the pipe. This means you may have chance to trip and fall into the service yard (pipe is quite big in diameter plus cement etc). Plus the long routing means that years down the road, choking inside is probable because of all the food residue, oil and dirty stuff clog there.

was so FED up with my ID becaue this is a BIG mistake. She proposed on the phone to route the pipe there or worst move the sink to on top of the drain pipe. I say 'hello?", that is my FS fire place, you want my wealth to be drown daily by water? flushing all my money down the drain? Even if my FS master say can, the shifting means I got to top up $ for the table top. And I will NOT make a decision affecting 10 to 15 years of my life on the phone in 5 minutes. So tick her off ask her to send plumper, kitchen carpenter all home. Called her boss and ask them to come solve problem this Saturday.

So the lesson learn? young ID designers may have good looking drawing for you, but their 'details' is not there.

c) On sat, the more senior designer boss came down, propose the routing beside the door, all foc. Then oops, where is the water line to the kitchen tap going to go? Because on the top, the electrician already routed the wires to power the spark starter of the stove. $#@&, the gap between that pvc and the HDB 'do not drill here' hidden blue water lines is very narrow. So trash it out and they will adjust from the top.

d) Then bring the SD to the living room to show him that the young designer already put up the false ceiling, but left a 8 inch gap for the window curtain rails. Unfortunately, my curtain guy comes down and say that the horizontal wooden brackets that we bought cannot be mounted because his drill cannot bend 90 degrees. Supposed to install the curtain brackets first, THEN put on the false ceiling. So now only got 2 choices, either change to vertical brackets (ie drill upwards and secure) or cut away some of the false ceiling. The SD agrees to the problem....but I was like 'hey man, your company got ISO standard project management standard'...its DESIGN then execute, not do half way, oops, ask me to top up $ or ask me to change my purchases.

e) ID asked for $x topup for kitchen cabinet because the hood that we chosen was too small and there are gaps in the proposed top cabinet. My wife flip, did 2 sommersaut and I asked her ##@*((, you are the designer, you bring us to shop, if the hood NOT suitable, then you advice us we choose the right one. How is the consumer going to know.....trashed out with ID and he also FOC the extra gap.

Got so fed up that I say from this point on, all the capentry work that has not started, (ie wardrobe, bookcase etc) all cancel....becuase I don't trust any of their work anymore. On contract the wardrobe is 6ft, is she going to give me a rectangular box? I asked the ID what is the design going to be? she say will be whatever I want....SD sense my temper rising and called the workshop, but try to bluff me that they already ordered the laminate etc, can't change. Negotiated, and managed to strike the wardrobe off the contract.

gave the wardrobe work to closet design.

So my lesson learnt? get a good ID B-(

Edited by Ideasmiths

Ideasmiths dramatic story. Good that u have a SD to vent your anger on. Mine also had some cock up, but I had to shout and quarrel with the renovator in order to get him to change some design which obviously he's at fault.

For my toilet accessories, I made it a point to ask them to install on a weekend, so that I am there to tell them what I want. For my carpentry work, I did some drawings with dimensions.... but still... they made some decision and didn't inform me.

Never get intimidated by your renovator. And not live with the mistakes that they had made. Of coz, visiting your house everyday is a must. After the flooring, that's where screw ups starts to happen.

Mistakes are bound to happen in construction & renovation but not ones as critical as detailed by Ideasmiths. Attention to details by ground workers is one of the many ingredients that make a renovation project well-done, lacking which the ID/RC has to supply. This aspect should be worded into the renovation contract.

Just curious is the ID's name Maggie?

Edited by DSA

Mistakes are bound to happen in construction & renovation but not ones as critical as detailed by Ideasmiths. Attention to details by ground workers is one of the many ingredients that can make, lackin which the ID or RC has to supply. This aspect should be worded into the renovation contract.

Just curious is the ID's name Maggie?

Nope. Some forumers also asked, but I decide not to smear the name of the ID firm as most likely its a bad luck case of a young designer. She do good artistic work and ID, but I guess not strong in the operations side.

As for the Senior Designer, that was the trump card I kept in my pocket to use in this type of situation. Needed it to cut some items off the contract too, so did some tactical moves B-)

DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS, that was the headache that i (and most people) want to hand over to ID so that we pay them to do their job. Heck, if I sit there and pick up my rusty skills and design the details, probably can do it. Some more that kitchen is a LARGE proportion of the charges for my reno because my wife threw many stuff there, cabinets, this, and that. it's the small thing that really stump me, even I didn't spot the obvious mistake.

On to another story

--------------------

Gave my wardrobe to closet design. Went to near my home, their balestier showroom on Friday and did some good detail concept there, was quoted a price. Lucky I decide to wait till I trash out my problem on Sat. Noticed expo was on, dropped by and save 7% because GST was waived there!. sat down with wife and with another designer discussed the in-and outs of every drawers, rails, wood and layout of the wardrobe and the sales/designer came up with a good concept. Even threw them some obscure weird idea and he was able to advice that it is 'a bad idea'. happy with the details, and signed up there on the spot, gave them $500 as deposit.

Takes about 3 weeks to line up in a queue for them to deliver to my home and install in one day. so 3rd week of August those who want to see can drop by my house again.

At least I feel better with a 10 years warranty and detailed wardrobe that me and wife will stare at and use for the next decade or so, compared to the standard 'unknown-whatever you want' 6ft wardrobe that my ID wanted to make for me.

At expo with Meisin

-------------------

Last month actually signed up a package with this firm, today dropped by to finalise the 'details' of sofa, coffee table etc. My wife bought a package, lets say $x dollar and you can mixed and match till $x + 15% + discount. For example, if you got the $1K package, you can choose $1.2K worth of goods in terms of LCD TV, fridge, electronics, furniture (manufactured) or custom made. Seem like a good package to me, because I can go around Singapore and choose most type of common electronic stuff and they will match it.

They are expanding to ID design too (partner with someone) and I talked to the GM of the ID firm, quite a knowledgeable person. Gave him the drawing of the floorplan, same starting scenerio (ie minus the obvious mistake) and gave him a test to see how he will design my kitchen. Sat not many people (most headed to Natas fair) so he spend about 1.5 hours with us. He was able to spot the obvious problem, came up with the same routing solution but he suggested also routing (plus hacking service yard) to the washing machine drainpipe. This is because less chance of backflow due to the drop at the service yard. Tested him on designing my study room and on the spot he was able to sketch out and detail the workstation etc. At least see some real kung Fu there. :sport-smiley-003: Think they partner with Meisin so now very eager to show their skills and sincerity.

Was quite happy with my 'victory' with my ID

Thanks for the heads-up on the Creative Living 08 at Expo. Miss that on my radar. Sounds like a good place to source for furniture.

Creative Living 08

Public - Free Admission

Hall 6A

02 - 10 August 2008

Time: 12:00pm - 10:00pm

Show Profile:

Features the latest Furniture, Furnishing's, Interior Design, Home Appliances and other up market products.

Organiser:

Aces Exhibition Services Pte Ltd

WA.. concede defeat to sporean.. haha.. Audio hse opening sale was a success but not to me.. :( open at 11am.. i reached abt 1115am.. all the promo items were snapped up at 1030am... :bangwall: was targetting the 37 inch LCD tv at 799/899 lo.. even saw ex-actress queue - Cheng Xiu Huang.. lolz... loos like need to wait til COMEX shw liao...

Ya.. i do agree to engage a gd ID or contractor.. hopefully everything will turn up well for linear green residents... but personally i believe there are gd or bad IDs/contractors in a coy even is the coy is well recommended or award-winning(which i think use $$ 1 la.. haha)..

keeping my fingers cross on my ID.. so far so gd!

WA.. concede defeat to sporean.. haha.. Audio hse opening sale was a success but not to me.. :( open at 11am.. i reached abt 1115am.. all the promo items were snapped up at 1030am... :bangwall: was targetting the 37 inch LCD tv at 799/899 lo.. even saw ex-actress queue - Cheng Xiu Huang.. lolz... loos like need to wait til COMEX shw liao...

Actually all these limited 10 sets all nonsense one. Just publicity to draw people in. If you ask them for the list of people who bought the sets, they will say all over the place or inside computer can't show you. Actually maybe only 1 or 2 sets. I went to parasil near Bedok Central the sales guy commented that some TVs the price even lower than dealer price, so all nonsense one

For reno, should have let my alarm bell goes off when it was a double team. the SD was more seasoned and he introduce his colleague, the younger ID. say he will join project management with her. sigh, my house like training ground for new bird.

Edited by Ideasmiths

Actually all these limited 10 sets all nonsense one. Just publicity to draw people in. If you ask them for the list of people who bought the sets, they will say all over the place or inside computer can't show you. Actually maybe only 1 or 2 sets. I went to parasil near Bedok Central the sales guy commented that some TVs the price even lower than dealer price, so all nonsense one

For reno, should have let my alarm bell goes off when it was a double team. the SD was more seasoned and he introduce his colleague, the younger ID. say he will join project management with her. sigh, my house like training ground for new bird.

it is good to source around but once got it dun compare prices liao ...

Ideasmith - you got something from the expo fair?

Edited by herbman76

Some Expo Event

NATAS Holiday 2008

Admission $3 (for Mastercard holder $2)

Singapore Expo Hall 4 & 5

01 - 03 Aug 2008

01 Aug 2008

Time: 12:00pm - 9:30pm

02 – 03 Aug 2008

Time: 10:00am - 9:30pm

Crazy Warehouse Sales

01 – 03 Aug 2008

Foyer 2 Level 2

Time: 10:00am to 10:00pm

Watsons Mega Expo Sale

Hall 3B

01 - 03 Aug 2008

10:00am - 10:00pm

Creative Living 08

Hall 6A

02 - 10 August 2008

12:00pm - 10:00pm

Edited by herbman76

it is good to source around but once got it dun compare prices liao ...

Ideasmith - you got something from the expo fair?

Well, got closet design to do the wardrobe.

Went back to Meisin to choose my soft set and coffee table, plus 37" LCD, fridge, washing machine (wife bought a package last month, can slowly choose combinationas till reach package)

The usual ID people are there, good to walk around and get some ideas

Ya.. i do agree to engage a gd ID or contractor.. hopefully everything will turn up well for linear green residents... but personally i believe there are gd or bad IDs/contractors in a coy even is the coy is well recommended or award-winning(which i think use $$ 1 la.. haha)..

keeping my fingers cross on my ID.. so far so gd!

If you do not go for branding, there's a 42 inch Akira plasma TV (HD Ready) going for $988 @ Carrefour & Giant. You can click the below-mentioned link for more info. Think is the same model as Samsung. I read abount something too in the display catalog @ Giant Tampines.

http://www.myakira.com/global/ProductDetai...mp;CatId=,75,15

Avoid Parasilk. I have a bad experience with them. Bought a gas cooker from them the other time. Before making payment, I asked them about the warranty and they said if got any problem can bring back to them anytime and they will get it fixed for me. Then just merely 2 months the cooker is spoilt and bring it down to them with my receipt & they said the person who sold it to me oready left the company and whatever they sold are all parallel imports & export sets (that's why they can sell so cheap), and there is no such thing as warranty. What they can do is to just help me to send the cooker to their "agent" and I have to pay for all inspection and repair costs. What rubbish!!! Was so pissed off then & I swear to myself that I will not buy anything from them ever again. Stupid Ah XXXs!!!!!

Edited by frederick_chia

Actually all these limited 10 sets all nonsense one. Just publicity to draw people in. If you ask them for the list of people who bought the sets, they will say all over the place or inside computer can't show you. Actually maybe only 1 or 2 sets. I went to parasil near Bedok Central the sales guy commented that some TVs the price even lower than dealer price, so all nonsense one.

Act i agree is publicity la..but saw our friend there snapped up a 46inch LCD TV for the promo price(lucky fellow).. he said alot of ppl.. and i saw the queue like freaking long.. maybe some of them are their staffs la..lolz.. act i think they wan to draw ppl there.. even u cant get the promo set.. they will still offer u other sets with their so called 'special' prices.. is like a chance for them to at least get to 'con' those ppl that came but did not get the promo items. Maybe all the promo items are sub standard stuff? who noes?

If you do not go for branding, there's a 42 inch Akira plasma TV (HD Ready) going for $988 @ Carrefour & Giant. You can click the below-mentioned link for more info. Think is the same model as Samsung. I read abount something too in the display catalog @ Giant Tampines.

Yup.. i went carrefour yesterday too.. saw the 42inch Philip LCD TV going at 1799 bucks.. and the AKIRA 1.. maybe i will get a beta brand 1 in Living room.. den a brandless 1 in MBR..

Here are some pics on how my air con pipes are laid.. For references.. think this is the better way to conceal all the ugly pipes..

MBR - on addition pipes on the window side..:

mbrsmall.jpgmbr2-1.jpg

2ND Bedroom.. most of the pipes are here.. n the last bedroom

2ndbedroom.jpg3rdbedrm.jpg

Edited by yokoyoko