Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gaiusparx

Why Build-in Cabinet?

What are the pro and cons of having build-in wardrobe cabinet in your bedroom vs buying ready made one from let say ikea? What i can see is build-in one is more sturdy, could look nicer. Any other?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Off my head, I think that the vertical space is made better use to have built-in wardrobe which goes up to the ceiling. The other thing I can think of is for odd wall shapes or non-flat surfaces, a custom wardrobe can cover for it better. However, they cost more!!

What are the pro and cons of having build-in wardrobe cabinet in your bedroom vs buying ready made one from let say ikea? What i can see is build-in one is more sturdy, could look nicer. Any other?

built in can be customised to your liking and measurement.

ready made ones, will never fit nicely in the space. Sure got gaps here and there.

built in ones will covered all gaps and fit in nicely.

and talking abt Ikea, pls dun buy from there..... their stuff wont last. guaranteed you this.

You can only buy small items from ikea, not the big ones.

From my experience, it can enhance valuation - told by a valuer. These are taken into account when they do valuations. However, it still depends very much on the condition & quality of the built-in fixtures, and general market conditions.

As built-ins are very much based on personal style & needs, there is also a chance that you may limit the pool of target buyers, assuming that you'll be reselling in future. Some buyers may find a place with too much fixtures, especially those that don't meet their tastes, expensive to buy & renovate.

Personally, I hate built-ins, as it will be troublesome (& expensive!) to get rid of if I decide to change it down the road.

:yamseng:

another thing is easier maintenance - u do not have to clean ur the top of ur wardrobes, which collects dust easily, since they are built to the ceiling!

There is another variation,

1. Build-in Wardrobe made up of mostly wooden self, cupboards and frame (all lot of carpentry involved) cannot be shifted when you move house.

2. Build-in Wardrobe made up of poles, use less wood, minimum cupboards but can have more shelves. Can be dismantled and shifted to new house.

Price is about the same for both, may be slightly more expensive for conventional wood wardrobe because of workmanship and material used. (Wood, Laminates, etc..)

From my experience, it can enhance valuation - told by a valuer. These are taken into account when they do valuations. However, it still depends very much on the condition & quality of the built-in fixtures, and general market conditions.

As built-ins are very much based on personal style & needs, there is also a chance that you may limit the pool of target buyers, assuming that you'll be reselling in future. Some buyers may find a place with too much fixtures, especially those that don't meet their tastes, expensive to buy & renovate.

Personally, I hate built-ins, as it will be troublesome (& expensive!) to get rid of if I decide to change it down the road.

:yamseng:

no need to do so many builit-ins

i see some home owners, like mad ppl - everything also builit-in or customised. That's why some reno quote are like $50k.

only do some built-in and the rest, can buy from shops.

my parents are sticklers for built-ins. every available nook and cranny they will squeeze in a built in feature. growing up, i hated it because it meant i would not get to choose and change my room furnishings, had to live with the ugly laminates. in sec sch i went on a rampage and covered every square inch of the huge 6-door cupboard with magazine cut outs and posters.

when i moved into my resale, coincidentally the wardrobes built in by the prev owner matched my bedroom furniture so it saved me quite a bundle from having to get another one. definitely agree on the space-maximising bit, and they also help to conceal ugly pipes etc in the bathrooms.

Do built-in cabinets to maximise the available storage space. Houses are so small these days, can't afford to waste space here and there. Kitchen cabinets, built-in wardrobe and shoe cabinets are a must for my place. In addition, odd corners could be put to better use by installing built-in feature. For example, in our MBR we had a odd triangle corner near the window. We planned to have a cosy corner with a built-in seatee (cum storage cabinet).

But still, for rooms which are likely to convert to some other uses, I think ready made furniture will provide more flexibility. We will be using all ready made furniture for our study since in years to come we will probably have to convert it to kids' room.

I have build-on wardrobe only for my master bedroom. Kinda figured I won't change it since there is only 1 place I can put the wardrobe. I used the pole system for flexibility and to ensure the door reaches all the way to the top so that less place to clean.

My sons' room is the same ikea furnishing we bought many many years back and shifted twice. All color co-ordinated and we know likely we will change when they get older. Same for the guest rooms which we just use the normal wardrobe to save cost.

Our study are the same 5 ikea shelves we used for the past 10 years and is still going strong, again save cost for use and can change when we really want to (but we've been using it for 10 years, so unlikely we will change it anyway).

When it comes to odd corners, build in is the way to go, when you want to save cost, but those off the shelf is the way to go. Of coz, build in will look nicer compare to those normal wardrobes and easier (ok this depends) to maintain.

We do not like to many build-ins so that we can 'reconfigure' when we get bored but certain build-ins we feel are essentials.

The choice is yours. :)