Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gingerbelle

Y Is Water Flowing Out From Base Of Toilet Bowl ?

my contractor had just finished overlaying my 2 toilet floor tiles. my MBR toilet is ok but my common toilet got problem. i noticed that there is some water flowing out from the back of the toilet bowl base. could it be my contractor did not seal the toilet bowl base tight?

anyone experience this? what could be the problem?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

yup be sure that the water is from there. you can put some food dye into your tank then put some toilet paper where the leak is to check if the water is coloured too..

it happened to me, at the side. but we were using the toilet blue thing, and the water stained our black floor tiles irreversibly.

yup be sure that the water is from there. you can put some food dye into your tank then put some toilet paper where the leak is to check if the water is coloured too..

it happened to me, at the side. but we were using the toilet blue thing, and the water stained our black floor tiles irreversibly.

i also put the toilet blue thing inside the water tank, & water that flow out was light blue...

can i use this ' white base' thingy to paste the area where water is coming out ?

why do u even need to fix the problem yourself?

the water is supposed to be channel down, if water leaks out means the piping is not connected well. I supposed the contractor need to dismantle the toilet bowl and rectify the leak. Simply putting silicon the seal off the leak at the base is just sweeping the dust under the carpet.

leaking toilet is no joke. Do u want to see your downstairs neighbour coming up to tell u that your toilet is leaking and wetting their ceiling? More to come: spalling concrete, HDB asking u to foot the bill coz it's your fault?

i also put the toilet blue thing inside the water tank, & water that flow out was light blue...

can i use this ' white base' thingy to paste the area where water is coming out ?

we got our contractor to fix it. agreed, that it's definitely due to poor fittings. just dont wait too long, because the blue stuff is corrosive..be sure to rinse it regularly. in the meantime, until your contractor gets it fixed, dont put anymore toilet blue.

someone better be around when they fix the thing. To ensure that they don't simply just plaster silicon to seal the leak. Don't feel intimidated to get the contractor to fix their problem. Afterall u paid them to do the job well. Coz few years down the road, it'll be you who will shoulder the problem.

someone better be around when they fix the thing. To ensure that they don't simply just plaster silicon to seal the leak. Don't feel intimidated to get the contractor to fix their problem. Afterall u paid them to do the job well. Coz few years down the road, it'll be you who will shoulder the problem.

i think thats what the contractor will simply do because previously before the tiles are overlaid, theres already this problem with water flowing out fm the base of W.C & when we told the contractor abt it, he said after overlaying tiles, he will plaster silicon to stop water fm flowing out & he said hdb did not do a good job.

BUT now even after overlaying tiles still got this problem, my hubby said duno iszit W.C problem or iszit contractor did not do a good job?

Edited by gingerbelle

u overlay, very easy to get popping tiles with this condition. Contractor will always take the easiest and cheapest route, tell u some funny "reasons" just to stop u from demanding further. If the problem is already existed, why not negotiate with the contractor to fix the poor joint for you for free or for a small fee.

The worst that can come is that they need to break the WC in order to change that bad connection. Find out the cost and then decide on your options.

when the plumbers came to rectify our leak, it took a while because plumber blame tiler, tiler blame plumber. but we verified with the colour of the water..so the plumbers came, removed to bowl to check if the 'something' is overflowing, then put it back and resealed it. 6 mths on, no leaks yet.

Is the brand of your toilet bowl "OTTO" by any chance?

It could be the manufacturer's fault.

I had the exact same issue as you a few months ago!

img9464jm2.th.jpg

There was always water behind at the base of my toilet bowl.

At first, I thought it was the outlet water from the aircon since the pipes are at the same area, so I didn't on my aircon for a few days. The leaking still persisted. It may be a small leak, but I just moved in not too long ago, quite ridiculous to have a leak.

The only consolation was that there wasn't any smell, so I concluded that the leak should be clean water from the tank itself rather than the base below.

I was quite sure the ID/plumber will insist that it's the aircon water, so I bought the toilet blue thing. True enough, the water leakage was blue too. I emailed the photos to my ID and I called the shop who sold me the toilet bowl at the same time. But I can't remember the events back then, ended up it was the shop who send their own guys to rectify my problem and not my ID! I always recommend people to that shop after that. =)

They came for a check, the first thing they saw was the aircon outlet pipes and they decided that it's the aircon water. I expected that, so I zip them up with the blue stains from the toilet blue. They tore out the whole bowl, quite a simple process, just chisel off the white paste from the base of the toilet bowl and the whole thing can be removed.

Toilet Blue was very helpful, it showed the stretch of leak, (please refer to picture), the water did not emerge from the base, but it trickled down from the top down to the base! They turned the whole thing over and they found the leakage source, which is actually a manufacturer's fault, a small crack there, sealed it up with putty and reinstalled my toilet bowl.

At the same time, they told me some internal parts of the cistern were wrongly installed, the flush won't be strong. They rectified that as well together with the toilet bowl in the kitchen toilet. I was expecting to be slapped with a bill for all that trouble, but they left without asking for $$$. I called the shop, and he said it's part of the warranty. So impressed!

End of story ...

So if you can, take some shots behind the bowl and see if you have the same problems? It might be similar issues. HTH..