Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi Guys,

Need your expertise and advice! I just bought a semi-d land recently... with a 40 year old house... with plans to build a 2.5 storey house with about 4500 sq ft built in (excluding open terrace....)

I know there have been many advice in this forum on the approach for rebuilding a house. I spoke with a architect before and also a about 3 design and build company. I find that quotes can be rather different based on the same requirements i have given... (eg. built in area, no of rooms/toilets, homogenous tiles for the hall and dining, wardrobes for the rooms, aircons etc). The design of the house has not been worked out yet but I am just looking for a simple, long lasting looking house... so i guess the construction cost should not differ too much. I have gotten as low as $500k for everything in to almost $750k and quotes include engineer/professional fees).

Does anyone has any recommendation for design and build companies? Someone reliable? Or rather, an architect whom i can trust that will help me ensure there will be no major hiccups along the way?

Hope you guys can really give me some advice....!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi there,

I'm no expert as i'm also just about to renovate my house. But just some thoughts after asking a whole series of architects and design and build companies.

Firstly, if you are thinking of doing major renovation works and increasing the gross floor area by more than 50% (sounds like it cos i think your new GFA of 4500sf is a lot!), then you have no choice but to hire an architect as they are the only ones licenced to do Reconstruction work or New erections.

A Design and Build firm can do so much as A&A works only and the URA has strict guidelines as to what this entails. Here's an excerpt from the URA circular:

DEFINITION OF “ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS’’ VERSUS “RECONSTRUCTION’’ OF LANDED DWELLING HOUSES

To qualify as an “Additions & Alterations’’ to a landed dwelling house, the following criteria must be complied with:

(a) the proposed additional gross floor area does not exceed 50% of the approved gross floor area;

(b) the external walls that are to be removed and replaced with new walls do not exceed 50% of the approved external walls;

© structurally changes to the existing landed dwelling house such as replacing or constructing new columns/beams and reconstructing existing floor slabs do not exceed 50% of the existing;

(d) changes/replacement of entire roof, regardless of increase in height as long as it does not involve an additional storey;

(e) addition of an attic provided the increase in GFA is less than 50%;

Proposals that do not comply with any of the above criteria are considered as “Reconstruction’’. The following works are deemed as reconstruction regardless of whether the works exceed 50% of the existing building:

(a) Increase in storey height – Changes/replacement of the entire roof involving an additional storey

(b) Change in housing form – Works which result in a change to the landed dwelling house form, for example, from semi-detached house to detached house.

[Amendment history -Circular No. URA/PB/2005/21-DCD]

All the best!

Hi: I am in the final phase of completing my rebuild. What is you land area if i may ask? to get to a GFA of 4500sqft with all the setbacks, i think you need quite a big piece of land.

The price of your contract really depends on what you required them to do, if you have similar tender documents farmed out, then all your tenderers shd cluster around a cost which could be the market rate.

The ones that is either too low or high will most like form certain outliers which you may need to be careful in your selection. All contracts cannot get into the details and also the specificity of design, materials, quality of work...etc. My suggestion is to shortlist and then visit their previous projects to gage, if possible talk to the current owners in private.

There are just too much to write here, my rebuild took me close to 2 years from concept to what it is today as i am the fussy kind and i broke the contract into multiple pieces to manage it myself at a high level. Again, no right or wrong but it really depends on your time you want to invest in it. I took time to use the best (in my perspective) in their field and huddle them into a project team to work with the builder. In essence, the builder is nothing more that the structural team.

I broke my contract into:-

1. Structural

2. Aircon

3. Electrical works

4. Plumbing & sewage

5. Koi pond

6. Windows

Believe me it is hard and it took a lot more of our time than we initially thought. As we are in the final stages, i kind of look back and smile. The ride is rough be prepare but the reward will be sweet.

:notti:

Hi Guys,

Need your expertise and advice! I just bought a semi-d land recently... with a 40 year old house... with plans to build a 2.5 storey house with about 4500 sq ft built in (excluding open terrace....)

I know there have been many advice in this forum on the approach for rebuilding a house. I spoke with a architect before and also a about 3 design and build company. I find that quotes can be rather different based on the same requirements i have given... (eg. built in area, no of rooms/toilets, homogenous tiles for the hall and dining, wardrobes for the rooms, aircons etc). The design of the house has not been worked out yet but I am just looking for a simple, long lasting looking house... so i guess the construction cost should not differ too much. I have gotten as low as $500k for everything in to almost $750k and quotes include engineer/professional fees).

Does anyone has any recommendation for design and build companies? Someone reliable? Or rather, an architect whom i can trust that will help me ensure there will be no major hiccups along the way?

Hope you guys can really give me some advice....!

If it's 4500 GFA, and the reconstruction cost inclusive of professional fees is $750K.. U shd ask for a $200K performance bond.

Given the substantial cost increase in material cost, I doubt any contractor can breakeven below $200psf, unless he got substantial economies of scale, or he plans to subsidise yr new home. A performance bond wld suggest he has the financial muscle to complete the job.

If it's 4500 GFA, and the reconstruction cost inclusive of professional fees is $750K.. U shd ask for a $200K performance bond.

Given the substantial cost increase in material cost, I doubt any contractor can breakeven below $200psf, unless he got substantial economies of scale, or he plans to subsidise yr new home. A performance bond wld suggest he has the financial muscle to complete the job.

GFA to my understanding is all the floor area inclusive of car porch, air-con ledge, roof top garden,void area and balcony. So 4500 of GFA sounds reasonable.

But, my understanding of total built up is all the house area under the room but excludes air-con ledge, car porch, void area. This area is what will be submited to URA and it should be smaller than 4500 sqf.

Is my understanding correct as I am sometime confused with the term being used.

GFA is floor area which is enclosed and covered, exclude car porch (max 2 cars), only useful for submission purposes. Taken from the outer edge of the wall thickness.

Carpark in excess of 2 cars will be considered GFA.

There is no legal definition of "built up".

Sellable area or more commonly known as Strata Area is actually a imaginary horizontal surface within the built up envelope. Not necessarily mean there has to be a floor there. (Void Area). Taken from the centreline of wall thickness.

Many govt dept have different definition of "area", and their definition is not cast in stone, and constantly evolves to suit their needs.

2.5 storey, the attic open area is consider GFA as well? i think not.

GFA is floor area which is enclosed and covered, exclude car porch (max 2 cars), only useful for submission purposes. Taken from the outer edge of the wall thickness.

Carpark in excess of 2 cars will be considered GFA.

There is no legal definition of "built up".

Sellable area or more commonly known as Strata Area is actually a imaginary horizontal surface within the built up envelope. Not necessarily mean there has to be a floor there. (Void Area). Taken from the centreline of wall thickness.

Many govt dept have different definition of "area", and their definition is not cast in stone, and constantly evolves to suit their needs.

wow... thanks guys! I was given the impression that 4500 sq ft is based purely built in area without car porch, open terrace...

the land that I bought is 3700 sq ft... I guess I was too ambitious in thinking of building on my own.... now i am getting nervous....

Wonder if construction cost will ever come down in view of the economy today... my gut feel is cost will only continue to go up.

Furthermore, i am desperate for space now coz i am living in an apartment.... haiz....

Hi Spursburger, how's is your construction work getting on? I have rebuild my house since 2 years ago and are currently in the final phase. My build in area is about the same as you. If you can get a quote at 750K, I think is very reasonable.

Edited by tplittey

So far, I am very please with my builder and I have no problem with him at all. His work is very good and I appreciate many good suggestion from him.

Really hope to shift in asap. :yamseng:

wah piang, 2 years to build a house, that's long. officially started mine in Oct 2007, BCA assessment next week and hope to TOP right after...

I thought mine is already very long, but yours got to be record. :jawdrop:

Hi Spursburger, how's is your construction work getting on? I have rebuild my house since 2 years ago and are currently in the final phase. My build in area is about the same as you. If you can get a quote at 750K, I think is very reasonable. Consider my quote 2 years ago is already more than that and is excluding professional/engineer service.

Hee Hee, I was given 2 years by BCA. So I take my time lor ... :P

Hi bro tplittey... I have already shortlisted a builder.... after so long... just finalising on the plans... guess can only start work after mid october... so it is about 750k for 4500 sq ft... hope everything will turn out well.... haha this is tough.... honestly i have got quotes for 500k... which i got scared off by the difference in pricing...

That is a good offer :D Did they break down the quotation for you in detail? Such as Piling, Brick & Block work, Type of Roofing, Types of Floor Finishes, Wall Finishes etc etc ? Make sure they list down so that your budget will not explode.

Hi bro tplittey... I have already shortlisted a builder.... after so long... just finalising on the plans... guess can only start work after mid october... so it is about 750k for 4500 sq ft... hope everything will turn out well.... haha this is tough.... honestly i have got quotes for 500k... which i got scared off by the difference in pricing...

ur 750k is a good price but how long is it going to take? if ur builder is small, they may face rising prices and then later part of the work they may start delaying or shortchanging u. As mentioned by some bros here, better get a reliable one or get perf bond. Does ur quote include any ID work? If not u gotta budget another sum to have ID done, like kitchen cabinets, cupboards, curtains etc..

All the best on ur new project