Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cabletie

Do You Literally Pay For Your Renovator's Mistakes?

Hi all,

Just a survey, do you guys/gals pay for extra things that your renovator do for you without your consent?

examples:

1) Quotation says 12 feet cabinet, but end up become like 14feet.

2) Quotation says no window grills for a particular window, but end up having grills for that.

Do u pay for these extra works?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Normally the id/contractor will tell you that the cabinet need 2 extra feet and will tell the the price before starting to fabricate your cabinet in their factory.

For grills, let your ir/contractor know that you did not initiate the grills on 1 particular window. Either they took out the grills or give you FOC.

Hi all,

Just a survey, do you guys/gals pay for extra things that your renovator do for you without your consent?

examples:

2) Quotation says no window grills for a particular window, but end up having grills for that.

Hi all,

examples:

I have these 2 things done extra without me knowing also.

1) ID extended wardrobe till near the door to fit 4 doors instead of 3. Extend about 0.75ft. He didnt say anything about extra payment and I'm not going to pay extra too

2) Window guy installed one extra grill wrongly. I got ID to remove it and patch up everything.

I have these 2 things done extra without me knowing also.

1) ID extended wardrobe till near the door to fit 4 doors instead of 3. Extend about 0.75ft. He didnt say anything about extra payment and I'm not going to pay extra too

2) Window guy installed one extra grill wrongly. I got ID to remove it and patch up everything.

Just follow whats on the quotation black and white, if he does extra things for you and nv ask you to pay it's his loss. If he ask you to pay, show him black and white say it's not the things that you wanted and it's their mistake for making it like that and they will have to remove. If they insist you to pay, they are hard on money and trying to chop you =) so avoid and advise others on contractors like these.

Hi all,

examples:

For item 1, I would put it this way: Do you want your contractor to do a 12ft cabinet with 2ft empty space instead?? Sure the measurement was wrong, that's their mistake, but its also their initiative not go along with the mistake to continue doing 12ft and leave you hanging there. In a way, this is not an 'extra thing' but necessary lor. I would pay for it as long as they can prove to me its 14ft.

For item 2, then it is an 'extra thing', but similiarly, the question is do you want it? If you wan the grilles, then you got to pay for it. Its also not really fair to get the contractor to give you FOC just because its custom-built and you know they cannot use it for other houses. They are also earning a living mah. If its for specific reasons that you do not need the grilles at that window, then get them to remove it. If not, just accept and pay lor.

Usually my rule of thumb here is that as long as work is done and I like it, I will pay; its not really a mistake lah.

When you said 'pay for renovator's mistakes', I was thinking along the line of them making a wrong feature wall, paint wrong colours, use wrong laminates, etc and expect you to pay; for those mistakes of course I won't pay.

My rule of the thumb is, if I didnt ask for it and if you want to do it, you have to ask me first. Only when I agree, then I will pay for it.

If you act smart and do extra because you think that it is better, then be prepared I cut your price or not pay at all.

This applies to whether I like it or not.

True that they need to make a living, but I am not a carrot on a chopping board. I also need to make a living to pay them.

Edited by NiVleK

My rule of the thumb is, if I didnt ask for it and if you want to do it, you have to ask me first. Only when I agree, then I will pay for it.

If you act smart and do extra because you think that it is better, then be prepared I cut your price or not pay at all.

This applies to whether I like it or not.

True that they need to make a living, but I am not a carrot on a chopping board. I also need to make a living to pay them.

I think your approach is useful for aesthetic items such as nicer finishes, better materials, etc. which I would agree to because that's very personal. I will decide on finishes myself and its not up to the contractor to say what is better or not. No need to mention if you do not even like it.

But like I mentioned for item 1, would you prefer the contractor to go by the quotation to make a 12ft cabinet and leave 2ft empty space? Technically they are not wrong, because having initiatives do not seem to pay, so might as well just follow the black and white blindly. You can't fault them, and in the end, guess who is going to pay to redo the cabinets to cover up to 14ft?? Surely not the contractors, because they followed black and white mah! The quotation said 12ft, but the quotation never say must do nice-nice cabinets to cover up the corners properly mah!

Sometimes got to give and take, if the works are necessary, you like it, the price is not exorbitant, of course plus you still have some cash to spare, why not?

I think your approach is useful for aesthetic items such as nicer finishes, better materials, etc. which I would agree to because that's very personal. I will decide on finishes myself and its not up to the contractor to say what is better or not. No need to mention if you do not even like it.

But like I mentioned for item 1, would you prefer the contractor to go by the quotation to make a 12ft cabinet and leave 2ft empty space? Technically they are not wrong, because having initiatives do not seem to pay, so might as well just follow the black and white blindly. You can't fault them, and in the end, guess who is going to pay to redo the cabinets to cover up to 14ft?? Surely not the contractors, because they followed black and white mah! The quotation said 12ft, but the quotation never say must do nice-nice cabinets to cover up the corners properly mah!

Sometimes got to give and take, if the works are necessary, you like it, the price is not exorbitant, of course plus you still have some cash to spare, why not?

Hmmmm, I would say it depends on individuals and how is the relationship with the ID. :D

Hmmmm, I would say it depends on individuals and how is the relationship with the ID. :D

correct. materials are dead, humans are alive. Things can be worked out easily.

hi can someone give me some advice....... If it's the contractor fault for not doing a proper water proofing on the balcony. Causing water leaking from the ceiling, wet the parquet flooring below and attracted termites to attack the parquet. The entire parquet flooring are beyond repair and need to be changed. Do you think it is fair to ask the contractor to pay for it?

hi can someone give me some advice....... If it's the contractor fault for not doing a proper water proofing on the balcony. Causing water leaking from the ceiling, wet the parquet flooring below and attracted termites to attack the parquet. The entire parquet flooring are beyond repair and need to be changed. Do you think it is fair to ask the contractor to pay for it?

actually it depends on whether u asked for water proofing to be done in de balcony?

actually it depends on whether u asked for water proofing to be done in de balcony?

Yes i did ask them to do the water proofing at the balcony (level 2). And they did not do it properly that's why the water leak from the ceiling and wet the parquet at level 1 room. The moisture parquet attracted the termites to come and attack. Isn't it fair to ask them replace it?

Yes i did ask them to do the water proofing at the balcony (level 2). And they did not do it properly that's why the water leak from the ceiling and wet the parquet at level 1 room. The moisture parquet attracted the termites to come and attack. Isn't it fair to ask them replace it?

Sorry to say this but I think got to be fair in terms of damages also. Water dripping on the parquet will not cause it to rot immediately, much less attracting termites to come. It will take awhile before it happens, the immediate questions are when did you realise that water is dripping and why the delay?

If I were the contractor, I will probably argue that you did not call me to rectify the water proofing immediately, in which case would have saved the parquet from damages. Thus, such delay is of no fault of mine and at most I will do up the water proofing only.

is it in black and white to do water-proofing? At most u can only ask them to repair the water-proofing. I would say termites and water proofing are 2 different matters.