Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
newhouse

What To Use To Clean Joints Between Homogeneous Tiles?

I also use magic sponger to scrub the lines in my mom's home- works very well :good: Mr Muscle very strong so i don't really like to use cos it'll 'eat' into the tiles and your skin! So better protect your feet and hands when handling Mr Muscle.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i remember my parents unit have almost perfect grout fill till today, i.e. still white but today our units are terrible even before moving in.

i got this feeling that the grout lines getting dirty or stained so easily, as early as when renovation is complete is a sign that the type of grouting fill is different from the good old days. downgraded material for cost purposes is where my dollar bet goes to

I worked with bleach, gout cleaner and magic sponge but it doesn't work for me! :(

Guess the only way is to redo the gout. I tried one line across my living room and almost fainted from doing it! :P Leave it lah!

Why not re-putty the jointline. First need to dig out the dirty areas. Then reputty the joint line. This is what I experiment.. it seem to work well so far

Why not re-putty the jointline. First need to dig out the dirty areas. Then reputty the joint line. This is what I experiment.. it seem to work well so far

Redoing the gout is very tiring... I did that for my utility room, toilet & bathroom before I moved into my current place... it took me several days... Everytime till the skin on my fingers worn off by the cements, I got to stop, else very painful...

How to dig out the dirty areas? Using a screw driver?

Redoing the gout is very tiring... I did that for my utility room, toilet & bathroom before I moved into my current place... it took me several days... Everytime till the skin on my fingers worn off by the cements, I got to stop, else very painful...

How to dig out the dirty areas? Using a screw driver?

Possible as long as it can fit the gap. For me, I prefer to use the scraper. Thin and sharp. Be careful the fingers though.

I used this tool that it used for filling wall. It is probably call the scraper. It is jus a bit tedious to dig and scrap out those dirty areas. However, the result is good. Originally, I wanted to use those white cement but the result from those wall putty seem ok(in fact quite good). Thus decided against those white cement that need to mix with water etc.

I used this tool that it used for filling wall. It is probably call the scraper. It is jus a bit tedious to dig and scrap out those dirty areas. However, the result is good. Originally, I wanted to use those white cement but the result from those wall putty seem ok(in fact quite good). Thus decided against those white cement that need to mix with water etc.

i got the baking soda from NTUC. so i'm going to try to clean the joints with it........ lets see what happens

hmm.. baking soda? Does it work? May try on small area first.

Thought bleaching solution might do better(but I didn't try before) if u wish to employ those cleaning method.

Use it with a used toothbrush to scrub the gap lor..

I used bleaching solution a few times on my tiles. The smell was so strong, made me felt sick :bleah: I stop using it & go back to soap+toothbrush.

Hi donut88, pls feedback after using baking soda, thanks. If it can do the same job as bleaching solution but without strong smell, will consider the switch :D

I used bleaching solution a few times on my tiles. The smell was so strong, made me felt sick :bleah: I stop using it & go back to soap+toothbrush.

Hi donut88, pls feedback after using baking soda, thanks. If it can do the same job as bleaching solution but without strong smell, will consider the switch :D

ok, i finally use the baking soda....

the verdict is that its good to use!!!

its effective to remove the stains. i was surprised by its cleaning power.

put some on the stained grout, then put some hot water. use a toothbrush or some small brush and scrapped it. then u can put some more powder to clean further

and of course got no strong smell or wont hurt your fingers.

its alot safer and very health friendly than bleach

Using bleach is no good lah.... your feet will be stepping on the floors all the time... if you didnt clean away the bleach properly, then bleach will get into your feet's skins....

and u will still need patience and time to do many grouts.

i did 3 grouts, and it was tiring......

I used penknife... the workers teach us one. At first worried might scratch the tiles but surprisingly it did not loh. Super easy lah.

Hmm, has anybody tried using strong acid ? of course, need to be careful and wear gloves, etc,...

I think it's tedious to brush or scrub, since you need to do these activities if you are using magic sponge, etc,....there are so many grout lines on a tiled flooring. And what about the walls ?

Strong acid can be purchased from the hardware stores.