Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrspiglet

B&b's First Home

i've been trying to convince my hub to plaster n paint kitchen walls, n even just just cement screed the common toilet walls to cut cost (since its the 'in' thing now also). But he keep insisting very hard to maintain the walls in kitchen cos no tiles. Cement screed toilet walls he say gives a very dirty look. 8|8|

Very hard to please....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
i've been trying to convince my hub to plaster n paint kitchen walls, n even just just cement screed the common toilet walls to cut cost (since its the 'in' thing now also). But he keep insisting very hard to maintain the walls in kitchen cos no tiles. Cement screed toilet walls he say gives a very dirty look. 8|8|

Very hard to please....

Do you guys do heavy cooking? If not I think plaster n paint kitchen wall should not be too difficult to maintain. I wanted a cement screeded raw looking kitchen wall but have since changed it to plaster and paint for kitchen wall because I'm worry of cracklines if it is just plain cement screed.

If you do heavy cooking i guess wall tiles will be more practical.

As for toilets, I think safer to use tiles especially for wet areas, just personal opinion lah.

Do you guys do heavy cooking? If not I think plaster n paint kitchen wall should not be too difficult to maintain. I wanted a cement screeded raw looking kitchen wall but have since changed it to plaster and paint for kitchen wall because I'm worry of cracklines if it is just plain cement screed.

If you do heavy cooking i guess wall tiles will be more practical.

As for toilets, I think safer to use tiles especially for wet areas, just personal opinion lah.

*agreed*

My balcony, previously, was cement and painted. But there weren't any glass windows, only grilles. So over time the paint turned to paper like texture and dropped off in chunks. I reckon the same could possibly happen in the toilet as it's high moisture in there.

Kitchen is alright though. :)

Happy CNY to all!!

ivy, pinkpetter: i'll hardly be cooking that's why i'm staying so near my mum. Depending on her to cook my meals for me after i get home from work. So at most we will be cooking only on wkends plus 1 or 2 days on wkdays.

in fact i don't like deep fry stuff. But hubs like. So he's intending to invest in a deep frying so that i wun complain of the oil n smell staining the whole kitchen.

So seems like plaster n paint sounds feasible for us in kitchen...

Toilet wall i choose cheaper tiles as alternative then...

Edited by mrspiglet

Happy CNY to all!!

ivy, pinkpetter: i'll hardly be cooking that's why i'm staying so near my mum. Depending on her to cook my meals for me after i get home from work. So at most we will be cooking only on wkends plus 1 or 2 days on wkdays.

in fact i don't like deep fry stuff. But hubs like. So he's intending to invest in a deep frying so that i wun complain of the oil n smell staining the whole kitchen.

So seems like plaster n paint sounds feasible for us in kitchen...

Toilet wall i choose cheaper tiles as alternative then...

Hi Mrspiglet,

like you our budget also very tight...

But like the rest mentioned, if your window grilles are good..dun have to change..for mine..no window grilles at all. The windows also failing off...

I think it's good that you are keeping the broken marble. I think it still looks nice to me. If my home have the same kind of flooring as yours..i can save a bomb.

If you think of changing your flooring..then i would suggest overlaying..you can save on materials..time...etc..:)

Congrats on your new home!

strawberry.. u so lucky to have ur dad renovating ur house!

Ya, i'm gonna keep the marble flooring, don't intend to overlay at all. Just polish and make it shine like new (hopefully!). Grills i have to chge the living room n bedroom 3 ones.. cos common corridor and wanna chge to wrought iron, my mum doesnt feel safe w the current ones....

Tmr on leave... gonna go shop shop n check out the prices of the toilet stuff. :dancingqueen:

Forced leave leh, company shutdown until tmr. :bangwall: I need to preserve my leaves....

Today was a wasted trip, almost ALL the shops in Geylang were closed. Even Hoe Kee! End up detour back to hub's place n slept my aftn away! 8|

The shop u recommended is the one displaying a v big buddha at the entrance right? I didn't happen to see the Jojo shop nearby leh... :notti:

Forced leave leh, company shutdown until tmr. :bangwall: I need to preserve my leaves....

Today was a wasted trip, almost ALL the shops in Geylang were closed. Even Hoe Kee! End up detour back to hub's place n slept my aftn away! 8|

The shop u recommended is the one displaying a v big buddha at the entrance right? I didn't happen to see the Jojo shop nearby leh... :notti:

HUH. poor thing. mm got Buddha one meh? Eestilo.. in a big building one. hehe :) I dun rem if there's a BUddha as well.

Luckily you din see the Jojo shop. :P

ya, i think i got the shop right. Looks very classy from outside, but too bad its closed till Feb. Wanted to go there see if they still have the 1-pc WC promo. u got ur very much cheaper from what i've seen so far!

strawberry.. u so lucky to have ur dad renovating ur house!

Ya, i'm gonna keep the marble flooring, don't intend to overlay at all. Just polish and make it shine like new (hopefully!). Grills i have to chge the living room n bedroom 3 ones.. cos common corridor and wanna chge to wrought iron, my mum doesnt feel safe w the current ones....

Tmr on leave... gonna go shop shop n check out the prices of the toilet stuff. :dancingqueen:

im sure after polish and shine..your marble flooring will look fantastic..

i've got a friend who got her contractor to chemical bleech her ceramic tiles (i think) from pink to white..and it looked so good now. She didn't even have to change or overlay the tiles.

She's lucky that her existing tiles are shiny type..cos' matt tiles cannot become shiny.

ya, the marble floor looks gd enough for me to just shine n keep! that was partly the reason why i took this unit as well.

Made a call to HDB this aftn, the officer-in-charge FINALLY picked up her phone! Asked her abt my 2nd appt date, still no news. Asked her how come those whose 1st appt later than mine already know their 2nd appt date, her reply was "could be because they take bank loan. Bank loan process faster, if u take HDB loan with HDB grant will be slower".

HUH???!?!?!

I doubt so leh...Bank loan types are not necessarily processed faster. Alot of factors to factor in during the processing of bank loan application. Same for cars. The tenor period for the loan & the mortgage..etc

Probably that HDB haven't finish with your case yet. :dunno: You know govt bodies, take their time but very fast to chop $ one.

Edited by BunBun

No leh, my money deducted already, status approved already. Just pending the date now. According to her, HDB is still preparing the cheque for the balance COV to seller. Money long long ago deducted from our bank account n now they still preparing. Like that we cant plan our work properly, dunno which day gotta take leave to go 2nd appt. So frustrating.. 8|

ya, i think i got the shop right. Looks very classy from outside, but too bad its closed till Feb. Wanted to go there see if they still have the 1-pc WC promo. u got ur very much cheaper from what i've seen so far!

till Feb?! whoa. ok ok means next week can go ba... I think that promo will still have la. Actually that silly Jojo's shop also has the promo but her WC not so nice looking. the back part is very low. :P

ya, the marble floor looks gd enough for me to just shine n keep! that was partly the reason why i took this unit as well.

Made a call to HDB this aftn, the officer-in-charge FINALLY picked up her phone! Asked her abt my 2nd appt date, still no news. Asked her how come those whose 1st appt later than mine already know their 2nd appt date, her reply was "could be because they take bank loan. Bank loan process faster, if u take HDB loan with HDB grant will be slower".

HUH???!?!?!

That's not what my lawyer told me. She said bank loan usually slower.... why your officer liddat one.. mine was quite prompt. Hope things will speed up for you!