Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ami

Wrought Iron (gates & Windows)

Anyone had their wrought iron, for both gates & windows, peeling off after a while? My installation was done less than a month ago and it's starting to peel and show signs of "bubbles".

I think my renovation contractor is really doing a super baddy job on the reno works. Am so pissed off with him, man! 8|

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

That's what my friend said so too!

By the way, what's the color of the base? Rusty color? Cuz I saw after the peeling, it was a bit browish inside.

Contractor installed a design we didn't choose, but accepted nevertheless cuz rushing for wedding in end December 2008. Worried he might have used 2nd or even 3rd hand one... by the looks of it.

Can anyone please post pictures (close-up) of their wrought iron?

I really feel like asking my contractor to tear down the wrought irons, either redo (but no confidence in him anymore!!!!!!) or just deduct and I'll get Henry to do it instead.

wrought iron quality had deteriorated over the years. By right it should be galvanised to prevent rust, then painted to the desired colour. But nowadays starting to see rusted wrought iron gates..

your case might be the wrought iron are rusty already, then they paint it without first removing the rust. That's why rusting started from inside and bubbles out. And also another sign is that the paint doesn't stick well to rusted surface.

if they redo, it's better that they dismantle it and dip in some rust removing solution. Otherwise if just sand like that sure miss out some parts... then rusting starts at those parts.

Its not a surprise for materials to be downgraded... Competitions in reno markets is so intense... Even local suppliers also find ways to lower its costs to sell better in competitive market... Lower costs = lower grade eventually...

Expect more lower grades of building materials down the road...

Did you specify galvanised wrought iron? My contractor told me that there was no need since water never gets onto the gate, but I insisted. So far so good, fingers crossed.

Only costs about 90 dollars extra.

hihihi - I have this feeling he won't dismantle and repaint or dip or whatever. The most he'll come and sand and respray. And will say it's our fault that's it coming off (cuz we got Henry to come in to finish his ****).

de_Pierre - Hey! How are you? Sorry I went MIA for a while cuz was having a bad time with the stupid contractor. Now that he's out of my life, I'm much happier!! Supplier is Wan Sern Metal. I think they are quite well-known... don't think there's anything wrong with the quality. Even Henry's using them. It's my contractor lah, sub-standard. I am almost 99.99999999% sure it's him loh.

ryan13680 - Should be included? If not, really must smack him liao. I think my wrought iron costed me $900++.

summerholiday - For my situation, do galvanised first or spray/paint first? Cuz now that the color is up, not sure if advisable to do galvanised??

Very good. Now he says we haven't make the final payment, we super fussy about everything, want to find trouble. Quality like that, still want me to pay. He siao is it? Bloody ****, make my blood boil only. I will post pictures of my wrought iron later. Cannot tahan already loh.

hi summerholiday, can you pass me the contacts for your galvanised wrought iron gate? do you have a picture of it as well? i am looking for someone to do my wrought iron gate. Thanks!!

i paid onli $300 for galvanised wrought iron gate from cns metal..

prompt in serivce..

Galvanized gate are around $400++ these days

However these days, there is some contractor who CLAIMS their wrought iron are galvaized and its only around $200-$300 BUT

1) They may be bluffing there is galvanized as after painting, since you can't see if the item got galvanized

2) Some buy those READY GALVANIZED iron and its alot cheaper than taking gate to the GALVANIZED FACTORY to galvanized it but quality lousier.

Galvanized also got 2 types, COld and HOT, Cold is sufficient for HDB Flats, Hot is more for private house where by its under harsh environment

Another reason why ur paint got bubbles maybe due to ur chemical washing for floor (if you have). I have a friend who renovate the whole house nicely with wrought iron grilles, and after chemical washing for floors then realised that the paints for the wrought iron grilles start to peel and bubbles appears. After some investigation, she discovered that its due to the checmical washing of floor.

The contractor is suppose to wash the floor in WELL VENTILITATED room. He did NOT open the windows and end up the "Chemical air" got trap in the house and corrode the paints and even the wooden doors have problems.

HOpe these helps