Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
loymcdg

Need Someone's Advice

First of all hi everyone, hope i am posting in the correct section.

I need someone's advice on the following situation, see if you were me what would you do.

We signed a contract with his firm since the beginning of last month.

On many occasions that my wife and I went to our new flat to check things out, we waited for several hours and no man came to do anything. There was plastering bags on the floor, plastering walls left half done and hacked walls not yet touched up. Many times we tried to call him, he would apologise and always gave the excuse that it is the CNY season and that he was short on manpower or that the materials he ordered was late.

What deposits his firm wanted, we paid in advance. All we asked for in return was for them to at least get it move-in condition before this CNY.

Today is 22nd of Jan. From 27th of Dec til now, all that was done so far was,

1. the existing kitchen cabinets removed

2. kitchen walls hacked away.

3. Existing toilet bowls removed and

4. Walls plastered up.

Based on my past experiences and I understand from my friends, is that this is extremely slow paced.

And on more than several occasions, he has failed to return my calls. A phone call to his company was fruitless. Several sms later and he still hasnt reply.

Today while on a trip to our flat, we met 1 of his 'material suppliers' who claims that our contractor owes him money for the materials that he has supplied to our contractor. He even went so far as to say that our contractor was gonna shut down his company. This shocked us!!

Taking into accounts was has happened so far, I realised that this could be true. I tried calling him several times these few days but to no avail. That might explains why he was trying to avoid me.

Can anyone advice me on what I should do and can do.

A. Make a police report?

B. Go to small claims court

C......etc ??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i think u probably got cheated liao.... so sorry to hear that. how much had u paid to him btw, the law has alot of loopholes and its hard to look for the guy again or even going to small claim is useless. So right now its just to get someone reliable to finish your house first...

I think you can try making a report to CASE but it will be a long drawn process. Hope the damage is not high.... Could you share with us the name of the contractor so the rest of us would take note and not fall into his trap.

You are in trouble. If the company is really going out of business, all you'll get is a paper judgement, whichever court you go to.

Lets hope you didn't pay him too much for the deposit.

You will have to check your contract, and see what your termination rights are for non-performance or breach of contract.

And by the way, nothing illegal has happened (unless he was using illegal foreign workers or violating HDB/BCA regulations, etc) so a police report would not be helpful. The police do not interfere in contractual matters, and this is basically a renovation contract performance matter.

I need someone's advice on the following situation, see if you were me what would you do.

On many occasions that my wife and I went to our new flat to check things out, we waited for several hours and no man came to do anything. There was plastering bags on the floor, plastering walls left half done and hacked walls not yet touched up. Many times we tried to call him, he would apologise and always gave the excuse that it is the CNY season and that he was short on manpower or that the materials he ordered was late.

What deposits his firm wanted, we paid in advance. All we asked for in return was for them to at least get it move-in condition before this CNY.

4. Walls plastered up.

Based on my past experiences and I understand from my friends, is that this is extremely slow paced.

And on more than several occasions, he has failed to return my calls. A phone call to his company was fruitless. Several sms later and he still hasnt reply.

Today while on a trip to our flat, we met 1 of his 'material suppliers' who claims that our contractor owes him money for the materials that he has supplied to our contractor. He even went so far as to say that our contractor was gonna shut down his company. This shocked us!!

Taking into accounts was has happened so far, I realised that this could be true. I tried calling him several times these few days but to no avail. That might explains why he was trying to avoid me.

A. Make a police report?

C......etc ??

Edited by waileong

before u ask another contractor to do, send them a email(cc yourself) and sms, give them a deadline for completion or to continue. If they do not complete/start or reply by then, u will the rights to ask others to continue the reno or at least if next time they bite back you said why u break contract at least u got something to proof.

Also take all the pix of their uncompleted works so that next time any legal issue u got proof.

small claim is for -> less than $10k.

if small claim between 10k to 20k, need both agree (which why would they agree if they going to run away)

ps : share the name and contractor company so that can warn other too. More impt will be name as they can always setup another new company yet noone know what they had did before. :)

Edited by ahockz

4. Walls plastered up.

A. Make a police report?

C......etc ??

Hi, loymcdg.

Any update on the outcome? Did you manage to get it settled?

Pls share with us, as i think its a learning point.

How shall we cope with such a crisis??

Hi, loymcdg.

Any update on the outcome? Did you manage to get it settled?

Pls share with us, as i think its a learning point.

How shall we cope with such a crisis??

I think Loymcdg is too stress, only 1 post to tell us the problem and left us wondering what happen.

All we can do now is to pray :bow: that he/she will be fine and everything go smoothly after that post.

sorry for intruding. :unsure:

i have tried posting a new topic (about 3 to 4 times) to get feedbacks on a particular company but upto I have not seen my topic get posted.

i want to ask any feedbacks on STATE ART regarding their services and workmanship.

if there is anyone who actually got them as thier ID please post any comments positive/negative so that i have an idea.

posting some pictures of their work will definitely help.